Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Mozg

Arcane
Was it ever specified whether this was RTw/P, TB, or Diablo?

Or, in the worst of all possible worlds, a 2000-era RT/TB hybrid?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Was it ever specified whether this was RTw/P, TB, or Diablo?

Or, in the worst of all possible worlds, a 2000-era RT/TB hybrid?
I don't think it's TB, looking at this screenshot:

14542.jpg

Half of the characters seem to be mid-action simultaneously.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey prediction: You will have two, maybe three additional companions at most.

duanth123

Arcane
Don't assume that everybody is as cynical as you are.

Could be, but I'm hardly the only one on this forum who can't stop posting about the game (and other games from Obsidian). I also sat down today for over an hour and summarized a presentation about the hugely ambition sequel to the Codex's GOTY 2014, but not so many reactions to that. :M

Pretty sure you are a confirmed shill Infinitron who once wondered aloud where a poster who you knew had been prospered (Hiver) was in a thread. Sincerity is not your selling point, although the descriptor "unremunerated obsequiousness" comes to mind.

I'm half-tempted to start a mid-tier RPG development company just to lure you away from here.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Pretty sure you are a confirmed shill Infinitron who once wondered aloud where a poster who you knew had been prospered (Hiver) was in a thread.

I'm half-tempted to start a mid-tier RPG development company just to lure you away from here.
I wouldnt be surprised if he was part of the deal that sold off sea and bn to inxile.

Maybe he's a line producer as well, a secret one, where the lines are actually coke.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty sure you are a confirmed shill Infinitron who once wondered aloud where a poster who you knew had been prospered (Hiver) was in a thread.

What a bizarre thing to remember. You a big fan of hiver?

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I was wondering why he wasn't commenting about the game, in Prosperland.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Kind of reminds me of my wargaming days when I used to make mountain faces out of styrofoam.

Rocky-Terrain.jpg
SANY0025.jpg
Man, this is high quality styrofoam, the rocks and ground textures on that waterfall on the screenshots look like styroshit.

Mustawd

Ugh. Everytime I think of RTwP I think of what a clusterfuck Chess would be with that mechanic.

How is it more fun than TB again?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ugh. Everytime I think of RTwP I think of what a clusterfuck Chess would be with that mechanic.

How is it more fun than TB again?
RTwP is more realistic and cinematic. Real battles tended to be a clusterfuck where nobody knew what was happening.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Any reason for that?

Number of party members in the screens plus real-time-with-pause/real-time-with-AI-companions plus "modern mechanics" i.e. per-encounter ability use that will be comparable to or even greater than Pillars.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The screens could just be early game stuff. About party size.

It is true that the Pillars screens only show 4-5 at most.

However, I'm confident that there's no way there will be six-person-parties in Tyranny, given that Josh said the only reason they did that was because of Infinity Engine expectations and I'm sure the other designers at Obsidian agree with him.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Well, I don't like to derail - and I know I'm in the minority on this, but I loved SoZ. I wish it had been more than a teeny tiny micro budget expansion - but we wanted to make a more Fortune and Glory type DnD adventure - similar to the original Pool of Radiance, or Darklands.

I get that coming in after MotB - it was a let down story wise, and the tech was a let down (too many map loads and load times at the time). If we had had more time and money we could have done a lot more. The party creation system and the party conversation system alone were enough to make SoZ great in my oh so humble opinion.

I played through DS3 on my 360 and had a great time - despite working on the game and having it all spoiled. I think the biggest mistake made with Dungeon Siege 3, was calling it Dungeon Siege THREE. If we had called it Dungeon Siege Alliance, especially back when BG Alliance and Marvel Alliance were still in people's memories, people would have understood what we were going for. Oh well - sometimes marketing is great - sometimes it sucks.

Alpha Protocol, while unpolished and a bit buggy, was an amazing experience to play. Well, it might have been more than a "bit buggy", but I don't think I ever hit a critical path breaker...

I've played all of these except DS 3 and I agree with a lot of what you've written here. In fact, if you dig around, you'll probably find a lot of love for SoZ in the 'dex. It's old school qualities definitely did not go unnoticed. AP too, but for different reasons, ofc.

The point I however want to make is that every one of these games, despite being good enjoyable experiences, have some major flaws in them. This is true with PoE as well.

The flaws are what is preventing them from achieving universal success and and acclaim. The gamer only receives the final product, he doesn't know that you had limited budget, didn't have enough time or had trouble with the engine.

You want Tyranny to hit the bullseye, you got polish all of those flaws away, not matter what they might be this time.

The point I was making in my post (that Anthony responded to) was that pointing out flaws is one thing (all Obsidian games have them, just like all other games do), but the reaction to Pillars of Eternity from some people here has been nothing short of hysterical - as the earlier pages of this thread show.

I have plenty of things I don't like about Pillars, for example - the story was ultra nihilistic, exposition dumps, and the encounter design was uneven at best. The later greatly improved in the expansions - there are some hard and twisted encounters in the expansions.

The engagement system was never something that bothered me at all, certainly no more than the various mechanics similar to it in various DnD rule sets. Certainly now that it's been turned more and more perks were added and more bugs were fixed. Playing 3.0+ is really a lot of fun for me now.

Again, obviously, just my opinion.

For me the real tragedy is how beautiful everything looks but its never taken to the next level. The Gods are interesting, the core soul concept is great, but then theres this dwarf eskimo speaking like a fresh out of highschool girl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom