Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
gregt Do you have any metaphor for not being such a quivering mass of insecurity and waiting another week for more details?

ArchAngel

Arcane
They haven't teased any gameplay. It's like a stripper trying to draw attention to her dress. Sure, the dress ain't ugly, but what matters is what's under the hood, so to speak.

If someone tries to sell you a vacuum cleaner and they don't say anything about suction capability, yes, there have been no good or bad indicators per se, but omitting to talk about what the vacuum cleaner is all about is in itself a bad indication.

I've got more metaphors. You just gotta ask.
They kind of did. We at least know you can be Legolas on steroids and fire 15 fire arrows at same time.

Darkzone

Arcane
They haven't teased any gameplay. It's like a stripper trying to draw attention to her dress. Sure, the dress ain't ugly, but what matters is what's under the hood, so to speak.
If someone tries to sell you a vacuum cleaner and they don't say anything about suction capability, yes, there have been no good or bad indicators per se, but omitting to talk about what the vacuum cleaner is all about is in itself a bad indication.
Btw. this is a good statement in a metaphor. Keyword: Sleight of Hand.

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I'm pretty sure this whole thing is going to be a satire on common RPG tropes, in fact, more I hear about the game the more it looks like it's going to have elements of a sim-type deal.

Rake

Arcane

I've got more metaphors. You just gotta ask.
Are you an idiot or something?
It's an OBSIDIAN GAME. What more do you need to know about the gameplay?
Is there a rational person that believes that if this game turns out great/future classic/better than Fallout, it will be thanks to it's gameplay? Seriously?
Setting, characters, story are the things that matter, because they are the only chance this game will be worth playing. (i'm leaving things like reactivity and quest structure out of gameplay definition because these things can't be shown in a teaser anyway)
If you are looking for great gameplay, look for games without the Obsidian logo

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get all the negative feedback to the premise here either. In fact compared to tabletop the idea of playing an 'evil' or even mercenary party has been quite underdeveloped in crpgs.
I'm seeing more uncertainty than outright negativity.

Hopefully we will see a "fantasy noir" kind of vibe. Like a cop story where the hero knows that the mayor, the DA, and the chief of police are all corrupt, but he still has a job to do. None of this kill the evil wizard at the end stuff, just a dirty world where you do the best you can.

It's tough to pull off in most fantasy, because so many of the elements are naked metaphors. If orcs represent man's brutal cruelty, then it's redundant to have brutal, cruel humans in the story as well. When you have straight up monsters, it's natural for the human characters to polarize into the opposite of monsters. This is another reason I hope we won't see a bunch of silly races representing different facets of mankind - it makes man himself look less complicated.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hopefully we will see a "fantasy noir" kind of vibe. Like a cop story where the hero knows that the mayor, the DA, and the chief of police are all corrupt, but he still has a job to do. None of this kill the evil wizard at the end stuff, just a dirty world where you do the best you can.
Wot? Me cannut kill dark lord? Not fair, RPGs are fun when they are epiks and shits. U said there was darklord, I wanna kill him. Investigation and shits are too boring, stuff of eggheads.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't know why Codex is so hyped for this game. Do you guys see something special in screenshots and the trailer? Or just its because of the name of Obsidian?
Codexer 1: "Hey, this fucking soup line is taking too long, I need to take my tuberculosis pill before sleeping under the bridge."
Codexer 2: "Hey, shut up and get on the line, you fucking hobo!"
Codexer 1: "Hobo is you that gets on line for hours to take this soup that tastes like shit!"
Codexer 2: "It doesn't taste like shit, okay, only a little bland and the vegetables are undercooked and they economized a bit on the meat but it is perfectly edible, it is a fine, well produced product that was delivered in time wit a good cost to sales ratio! You wanting the soup to taste good is too much!"
Codexer 1: "You fucking apologist, you take any shit soup they give you, I'm too proud for that! I used to taste soup on the best restaurants!"
Codexer 2: "Shut the fuck up, you are a hobo now, you are too smelly to enter on any restaurant now. They would kick your ass, they don't even want your money for fear of catching tuberculosis from it. Look, there are only three soup lines now, Obsidian's, InXile's or Larian's, what the fuck you want? Do you wanna eat or not?"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I don't know why Codex is so hyped for this game. Do you guys see something special in screenshots and the trailer? Or just its because of the name of Obsidian?

I think you are confusing hype with discussion/bitching/moaning because no matter what, ANY Obsidian rpg game suddenly generates massive amounts of butthurt here. It is hilarious.

The reason for that is because basically, Obsidian (mostly) is the last remains of
what was left of Black Isle Studios. It isn't so much any more though... :M

They are still one of the only Development houses that still play their games in a PnP session when developing a game however.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Don't like the graphics style of the trailer, but the screenshots look nice. It will be POE in another setting and probably somewhat different mechanics.

MrE

Literate
I'll be very surprised if it has camera rotation. Though at least it would justify the unfinished look of the enviroment art (compared to PoE).

You're probably right, I just remembered the technical updates about rendering in PoE and it would most likely take too much time to create what comes down to basically 4 times the number of maps.

Man, this is high quality styrofoam, the rocks and ground textures on that waterfall on the screenshots look like styroshit.

Could it be that terrain will be in 3D this time? I mean it does look ugly enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom