Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Tigranes

Arcane
maybe it is because it is lower budget
Did I miss some info? Because people keep repeating this. And people seem to be ignoring the fact this benefits from PoE's CRPG technology/process, it's p. much smooth sailings while PoE was built from zero under much harder constraints due to the nature of crowdfunding.

No, I'm just speculating, because it is weird that it would be uglier than POE. And maybe we'll find out that it's a stupid / bad reason, we'll see.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Ok, in all honesty, we have a few (7) screenshots of various quality and we can get maybe 3 shades of grey from them - shit, meh and ok. Until they show more/better stuff, there's no doubt they began announcing with the wrong stuff or just totally got Eric's proposal concerning quality over quantity backwards. Yes, the discussion is there but probably not favourable enough for Obsidian's liking. I remain hopeful, there's still time to change a lot (like the deadline date for example).
I bet Feargus is quaking in his boots over whether codex approves of the alpha screenshots

:slamdunk:

Mustawd

I'm not a graphics whore. But if you are one, it's not the screenshots that should worry you. But the fact that THESE particular screenshots are what was chosen to be showcased as the first look. Which kind says something of the overall quality.

Then again, I still play X-Com to death, so I could care less. They look great to me *shrug*

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
419c9cd90416.jpg

Obsidian edition.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
People lack the understanding that games are a visual and auditory medium. If you're not pursuing excellence in those two areas, to the best your abilities, then you are ignoring one of the fundamental parts of a "VIDEO game."

No great film director is going to shoot on shit quality film, with poor sets, editing etc. with the excuse that "my story makes up for it," and a great painter is not going to use sub-par canvases or low grade paint. The excuse that "I play older games so I don't care about graphics" is retarded, those older games were trying to give you the best graphics possible for their respective era and means.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'd choose a good game that looks like shit than a mediocre game that looks great any day of the week without giving it any second thought. Of course, it's better to have both but this is not an ideal world that we live so devs need to make sacrifices. Some of the games I've played recently include turn-based dungeon crawlers with dogshit-tier graphics that provided me with a level of entertainment that something like Witcher 3 with all its fancy grass textures and skyboxes could not even come close to matching.

Would I have enjoyed playing those games more if they had good graphics? Absolutely. Would I enjoy playing them if they had good graphics, but worse gameplay mechanics? Probably not as much.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People lack the understanding that games are a visual and auditory medium. If you're not pursuing excellence in those two areas, to the best your abilities, then you are ignoring one of the fundamental parts of a "VIDEO game."

No great film director is going to shoot on shit quality film, with poor sets, editing etc. with the excuse that "my story makes up for it," and a great painter is not going to use sub-par canvases or low grade paint. The excuse that "I play older games so I don't care about graphics" is retarded, those older games were trying to give you the best graphics possible for their respective era and means.

Jagged Alliance 2 was ugly for its time and still considered a classic. A lot of people here also really like Arcanum and Might and Magic 6. Morrowind: great backgrounds, terrible character models and animations.

Declinator

Arbiter

The budget is finite.

Few great film directors are using 70mm film even though it is objectively better than 35mm film. Why? Because it is expensive as fuck. It is relatively cheap to make a film look good in other cinematography related areas such as lighting and even elaborate sets are usually not all that expensive as long as one does not go to Matrix Reloaded style extravagance (let's build a fake freeway!) which only cost a couple of millions anyway. CGI and special effects are a money sink though.

In games graphics can, as I understand it, cost significantly more relative to the overall budget. If a game needs to make any compromises between gameplay aspects and graphics then I'd want them to heavily favour the former.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The excuse that "I play older games so I don't care about graphics" is retarded, those older games were trying to give you the best graphics possible for their respective era and means.

No, the "excuse" is that since you play those NOW you can play other games that are not up to today's standards as well.

What is retarded is graphic fags hiding their faginess and inability to discern between good graphics and advanced technology behind bullshit such as "technological excellence".

those older games were trying to give you the best graphics possible for their respective era and means.

This is also retarded. Just like today, not everyone had the means (financial or otherwise) to be "the best". Compromises had to be made, the difference is that back then the compromises were more often than not done in the favor of the game part, you know the really important part of "video GAME".

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Please stop posting your shit in the Codex Artists - Drawing Thread and start making "filter enhanced" 50 Megapixel photos with your overpriced Chinese-produced smartphone. #MuhTechnologicalExcellence #NoPixelsAllowed

Nines

Learned
Codexer 2: "Shut the fuck up, you are a hobo now, you are too smelly to enter on any restaurant now. They would kick your ass, they don't even want your money for fear of catching tuberculosis from it. Look, there are only three soup lines now, Obsidian's, InXile's or Larian's, what the fuck you want? Do you wanna eat or not?"
I heard Vault Dweller and Styg recently opened up restaurants for hobos. Good prices and food, and no lines!

DeepOcean

Arcane
Codexer 2: "Shut the fuck up, you are a hobo now, you are too smelly to enter on any restaurant now. They would kick your ass, they don't even want your money for fear of catching tuberculosis from it. Look, there are only three soup lines now, Obsidian's, InXile's or Larian's, what the fuck you want? Do you wanna eat or not?"
I heard Vault Dweller and Styg recently opened up restaurants for hobos. Good prices and food, and no lines!
Their soup is good but take forever to deliver.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Congrats Excidium II on your tour-de-force against these idiots.

Graphics look much worse than PoE, rocks look like chocolate. Don't get me started on the gay purple crystals.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Must say, it feels good to have games that don't go through the painful crowdfunding/open dev process get released.
Growing tired of dev diaries and shit. Need surprises ffs !

inb4 paradox starts publishing dev diaries of Tyranny.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Must say, it feels good to have games that don't go through the painful crowdfunding/open dev process get released.
Growing tired of dev diaries and shit. Need surprises ffs !

inb4 paradox starts publishing dev diaries of Tyranny.
Who is forcing you to read the dev diaries?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Exclusive Tyranny screenshot
24v6vfd.jpg

If it weren't for the alleged focus on C&C I'd think this was Obsidian's Dragon Age II (same engine slam dunk, more modern mechanics, streamlined hotrod samurai art-style). Of course they were smarter and decided to make it something not related at all to Pillars.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
While I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the case (Obsidian seems to be only capable of making chinese bootleg copies of existing RPGs), I think it's a bit too early to say what the game is like based on a few screenies that show barren wasteland. In Obsidian's case it may be a stylistic choice to make the world feel barbaric and savage á la Dark Sun. In Bioware's case it was done to save money on art assets and because they don't have anyone competent working for their art team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom