Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

duanth123

Arcane
I was wondering why he wasn't commenting about the game, in Prosperland.

Pillars of Eternity: The Dog That Didn't Bark

So, with all this drama about Pillars of Eternity going on for the past few months, it can be hard to notice what didn't happen.

The dog that didn't bark. The dog named hiver. Where are the endless pages of shitslurping? The interminable one on one with Vault Dweller that has to be moved to its own thread?

In fact, as far as I can tell, hiver has never had much interest in this game. And maybe that makes him the truest Codexer of us all. Saving his energy for the would-be Fallout successors and would-be Torment successors. The games that the Codex is supposed to have valued over generic fantasy real-time with elves.

Hiver, I salute you. :salute: :salute:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...eller-and-the-spirit-of-grunker.100155/page-8

Embrace the meme, Infinitron.

oscar

Arcane
Hopefully it's more like the Black Company in tone and neither a 'comedy' nor stupidly grimdark (but still serious and hopefully intelligent).

Saving up for a coup of your own in a Napoleon type fashion sounds like a fun motivation (and not being mustache twirling evil so much as harsh, efficient and authoritarian figure, perhaps even relatively good in a 'greater good and stability sense' vs the Overlord's senselss brutality and chaotic unpredictability).

I don't get all the negative feedback to the premise here either. In fact compared to tabletop the idea of playing an 'evil' or even mercenary party has been quite underdeveloped in crpgs.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I don't get all the negative feedback to the premise here either. In fact compared to tabletop the idea of playing an 'evil' or even mercenary party has been quite underdeveloped in crpgs.

The problem is they only revealed the premise. If they had shown/announced any (ANY!) game mechanics the negative feedback would have been spread around.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't get all the negative feedback to the premise here either.
Personaly, I'm not that excited because a world where "evil won" could end on the same tropes as any other RPG game ever but with a narrative gimmick if who makes the game isn't careful and summing up Fenstermaker's last interview "Sorry guys, we sort did the game but there wasn't time to add a decent story so we used the messy, awful first draft we had and even cut a few pieces of it." They didn't even release any design detail so we can know if they are really trying something new or just doing Grimdark PoE 1.5.

I really can feel the hype running on my veins right now.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The only thing more banal than being goody two shoes is being evil. All the people being positive are leaping ahead and assuming it'll be a 50 shades of grey setting, when nothing we know so far hints at that.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's an RPG setting where evil won. Not a world where you are always evil.

Your character is pretty clearly positioned as having various choices.

You are the judge and executioner of Kyros’ law, acting under the watchful eye of the Overlords Archon of Justice, Tunon the Adjudicator (pictured right) Your words shape the lives of thousands. Will you use that power to bring justice and inspire loyalty? Or will you bring fear and cruelty to the beaten people of the Tiers?

Mustawd

You are the judge and executioner of Kyros’ law, acting under the watchful eye of the Overlords Archon of Justice, Tunon the Adjudicator (pictured right) Your words shape the lives of thousands. Will you use that power to bring justice and inspire loyalty? Or will you bring fear and cruelty to the beaten people of the Tiers?

So this?

JUDGE..... JURY.... AND EXECUTIONER!

Fry

Arcane
More like

41MjvZt%2BtZL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cuz T:ToN isn't enough GW worship.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So this?

JUDGE..... JURY.... AND EXECUTIONER!

Pretty sure Joe Dredd is Lawful Neutral in the truest sense of alignment. Which doesn't mean that he wouldn't work for an evil government, though. So perhaps you have something going on there, yep.
xl_rockpower_pg5.jpg
Something tasteful.

imweasel

Im feeling a Diablo-Sacred-Dungeon Siege-Torchlight vibe. This must be Obsidian's answer to the most awesome CRPG series ever created, Diablo...

M. AQVILA

Arcane
If you're working for good you're good.

Only in RPGs. In real life, a lot of times you start "working for good", but the world being what it is, next thing you know, you end up doing really terrible things. The allies "worked for good" in World War 2, but in the process, they bombed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians into the next world. Same thing with this game, if they do a good job of it, you might end up making "lesser of two evils" decisions, deciding who dies so someone else gets to live, and so on, and by the end of it, you might not feel like you are a good character at all.

eb209be296c0b6afdd4204069396ed93f481031d

hello friend

Arcane
Until devs say more, there is absolutely nothing indicating this game will be good. Setting is the least important aspect in making a good game - most of us here could probably whip up a great setting given an hour. The proof is in the pudding, and they're teasing with all the wrong things so far. Give us details! Gameplay and mechanics!

karfhud

Augur
Until devs say more, there is absolutely nothing indicating this game will be good. Setting is the least important aspect in making a good game - most of us here could probably whip up a great setting given an hour. The proof is in the pudding, and they're teasing with all the wrong things so far. Give us details! Gameplay and mechanics!

The game's just been teased; there's nothing indicating this game will be good or bad.

Darkzone

Arcane
The game's just been teased; there's nothing indicating this game will be good or bad.

Or there are indicators, but you just have to learn to read the signs.

karfhud

Augur

Sorry, I missed the Soothsayer Basics this semester.

All they released is a teaser trailer that gives you an outline of an outline of a premise, and a bunch of screenshots, you can't seriously draw any conclusions from that (apart, of course, from I dig that art style, or the opposite).

hello friend

Arcane
They haven't teased any gameplay. It's like a stripper trying to draw attention to her dress. Sure, the dress ain't ugly, but what matters is what's under the hood, so to speak.

If someone tries to sell you a vacuum cleaner and they don't say anything about suction capability, yes, there have been no good or bad indicators per se, but omitting to talk about what the vacuum cleaner is all about is in itself a bad indication.

I've got more metaphors. You just gotta ask.

Darkzone

Arcane
Sorry, I missed the Soothsayer Basics this semester.
All they released is a teaser trailer that gives you an outline of an outline of a premise, and a bunch of screenshots, you can't seriously draw any conclusions from that (apart, of course, from
I dig that art style, or the opposite).
Not Soothsayer Basics, but first order logic about your statement that you don't see any indication that shows that this is good or bad.
You have noticed that the setting is not the best, by the statement of "Setting is the least important aspect in making a good game". Further others have noticed bad art of the enviroment. But let us pull together this to the setting, for the sake of simplicity, then we have the story and narrative elements and game play.
Game play was not the best in PoE due to different factors, that have not been solved even in current state of PoE, and the story and narrative elements also lacked in PoE.
Normally one would try the game play mechanisms out in a previous product, like PoE for a good feedback. But they didn't, which leaves a system, that is untested and / or without a unbiased feedback. The employees of Obsidian are biased and therefore are not a good feed back ground and payed game testers are also not the best ground for this. Now do Obsidian have the people, who are capable to deliver the story and narrative elements? I doubt it, because they have already lost the most interesting people in their teams, like Avellone and Ziets.
Now back to the setting and also to the story and narrative elements:
An evil world requires a fundamental understanding from what evil evolves and how it translates. SJW people lack this insight, hence their hypocrisy. While the premises of an evil world where a player is just as evil as the world is, is really good, the team is simply wrong for this.

I haven't jumped on the PoE bandwagon, because i thought that it will be not good, and i even said this to the WM officer Vault Dweller. Then i thought perhaps i'm wrong, and i even liked the first part of PoE. But it the end i was right about PoE, and now i have a similar attitude towards this Tyranny.
Perhaps this does not result from some parapsychology abilities of fortune telling, but from subtle indicators that hide in plain sight and that are only processed by the subconsciousness, and i only seek a rational justification for this attitude, by my previous argumentation.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom