Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Metatron

Augur
What I remember from IWD 2 is terrible encounter design
What? IWD2 is actually one of the 5 rpgs or so I played that actually had a couple of well thought out encounters that didn't come down to a couple of monsters randomly placed in a room.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
bubbonicus asked: Merchants: Will PoI feature "thematic" BG and IWD-like merchants? Like one, who will buy and sell only weapons, other will deal in magic, and another potions only etc.? Or they will be univrsal - every merchant can buy all types of items? Also, will they have a limited or unlimited gold?
Merchants will likely buy anything but what they sell will be based on who/where they are. Currently I believe they have limited gold but I don’t think anyone’s strongly attached to that.
Ah, limited gold. Good times with Skyrim. Sell one ebony sword. rest 24 hours. Sell another ebony sword. Repeat until all 7 ebony swords have been sold.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Thank god we have Roguey to constantly reminds us how much Sawyer has to cater to idiots instead of being free to focus on just making a good game that has interesting mechanics, good encounter design and is reasonably challenging.

But don't you know...a good designer is someone who grabs as much people as possible. And of course, you can totally do that without affecting the integrity of the game. :roll:

Seriously, this is what people think nowadays in the age of marketing-directed designed-by-committee games.
Games aren't really actually MADE anymore, they're DESIGNED. Designed to maximize profits, following marketing trends, Metacritic ratings and professional game testers. And, obviously, everyone thinks he's a designer. At least from the big boys. And that's what Obsidian wants to be. And this is why you don't get "fun" games, but badly executed blueprints.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
bubbonicus asked: Merchants: Will PoI feature "thematic" BG and IWD-like merchants? Like one, who will buy and sell only weapons, other will deal in magic, and another potions only etc.? Or they will be univrsal - every merchant can buy all types of items? Also, will they have a limited or unlimited gold?
Merchants will likely buy anything but what they sell will be based on who/where they are. Currently I believe they have limited gold but I don’t think anyone’s strongly attached to that.
Ah, limited gold. Good times with Skyrim. Sell one ebony sword. rest 24 hours. Sell another ebony sword. Repeat until all 7 ebony swords have been sold.

Which shows how badly Slkyrim was designed; there should be 7 ebony swords in entire game, of which maybe 3 can be found outside quest rewards and bosses loot; Most of Ebony Mines were closed for 200 years thanks to Red Year and even before it weapons used in the west was iron, steel and silver for Imperial Officers and Nobles. Not to mention most of wepons found in old ruins, battlefields and on bandits should be roosted, worn out and damaged; Blades are fragile and require constant maintenance to keep them in good conditions. You should find broken weapons which with high Smiting skill can be reforged and combined from salvaged part; when you go hack-amole you can add merchants with unlimited jewgold to reduce the hore for player. Or better yet introduce the central inventory from KOTOR which was abstraction of having the ship with unlimited cargo. in PE it could be Mule or transport cart and later on your own Keep.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hilarious. But design, just like "innovation" is not necessarily something good as explained later in the post.

Also, newsflash: Design by large is copy/pasting.

Liston

Augur
Hilarious. But design, just like "innovation" is not necessarily something good as explained later in the post.

Also, newsflash: Design by large is copy/pasting.

:lol:

You have no idea what designed means, please stop you are just embarrassing yourself.

Edit: Although I can't say that I'm surprised that someone who thinks that complexity for complexity's sake is a good thing have no idea what design means.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh, please tell me what designed means and how designed is automatically good.

No, dumbass, designed doesn't mean "THERE IS SOMETHING I LIEK!! SO IT MEANS ITS DESIGNED GOOD".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Joshua Eric = Jocelyn Erica. Erin would also be acceptable.

Thank god we have Roguey to constantly reminds us how much Sawyer has to cater to idiots instead of being free to focus on just making a good game that has interesting mechanics, good encounter design and is reasonably challenging.
This was pitched as a successor to all the IE games so the latter was off the table from the start. His goal has to be to please the majority of the people who liked those, preferably bringing in a bunch of people who wanted to like them but couldn't.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
But don't you know...a good designer is someone who grabs as much people as possible. And of course, you can totally do that without affecting the integrity of the game. :roll:

Of course, designing the game as both a baby first RPG (for that genius quoted above "Vampires level drained my awesome hero! Meanie mages are casting nasty spells at me! HEEEEELP!) and for people who are actually decent at playng them (and expect to be atleast somewhat challenged) without losing anything in the process is totally feasible, afterall we'll have tons of togglable options, various difficulty modes and if we're lucky Josh will even grace us with his very own PoE Hardcore Mod in due time.

Now, I'm pretty sure I have much higher expectations of the game overall than you do, I think it will still end up being very good but I feel it could be great if only Obsidian/Sawyer stopped obsessing with expanding the target audience (trying to draw in the Joe average gamer) and focus more on crucial elements of the game.

Seriously, this is what people think nowadays in the age of marketing-directed designed-by-committee games.
Games aren't really actually MADE anymore, they're DESIGNED. Designed to maximize profits, following marketing trends, Metacritic ratings and professional game testers. And, obviously, everyone thinks he's a designer. At least from the big boys. And that's what Obsidian wants to be. And this is why you don't get "fun" games, but badly executed blueprints.

Yup, the gaming industry is in a very sad state. I'm starting to believe that the only hope lies in indie games as I feel that that's the only environment in which 90s type games with improved formula can be made. I mean, I still believe that the majority of indie games is still made up of artsy, hipster crap but some real gems like AoD (I had more fun with the latest version of Teron only demo I tried out in these last few days than any other full game release in years) and Underrail (didn't try it out but from what I've seen of it) are starting to restore my faith into gaming somewhat and are changing my view on indie games in general.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Next-Gen Obsidian project is going to be announced at GDC 2014. I'm losing my touch though since the article mentionig it has been up since december 19.

Hormalakh

Magister
i seriously doubt that josh is going to cater too too much to ne players who don't know anything about IE. He's said plenty of times that getting this right for people who have nostalgia for IE is very important to him to the detriment of him designing new mechanics.

i really wouldn't be too worried. if i were to be worried, i'd be worried about what josh thinks people find good about the ie games.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I just throw this in here:
http://www.bradley.edu/academic/colleges/cfa/news/story.dot?id=1e929eb8-48c0-41d6-92cc-4b4c67455004
http://www.bradley.edu/academic/colleges/cfa/news/story.dot?id=1e929eb8-48c0-41d6-92cc-4b4c67455004
This isn't the only game Katrina is working on through Obsidian ... that game is still a secret and will be announced at Game Developers Conference in San Francisco in 2014!

This in in March.

iAjVtLQXYtifu.gif

Duraframe300

Arcane

Delterius

Arcane
Joshua Eric = Jocelyn Erica. Erin would also be acceptable.

OK this is kind of creepy even for you

'Somewhere in the multiverse there's a true and just world, JE Sawyer's brilliance wouldn't have to conform to patriarchical ideals. And there, we could be together at long last~'

Maybe I should stop reading otakin forums. They are damn entertaining though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom