Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Project: Eternity
Just think of how this is going to influence what comes out of Japan in about 5 years.
Not at all? I don't think niche Western cRPGs are going to be influential on japanese game market.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
pe-ui-character-sheet.jpg
Looks like shit.

You're an idiot.

Is there such a thing as a well designed UI in your world? Has there ever been one?

Every argument Excidium makes ever when it comes to system and game design takes its basis in a hypothetical standard for perfection which exists solely in his own mind.

Last edited:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The layout of the character sheet needs a bit of polish, which I'm sure it will get, but I like the amount of information that's given and the apparent transparency of the systems.

AMG

Arbiter
Records tab should be hidden by default since it looks like aside from reputation it provides no useful information whatsoever. It isn't scrolled to the top so maybe more useful info up there.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No charisma stat. Was it already known? I know there were supposed to be no diplomacy skills, but no stats as well? I wonder how will it all work. There clearly is something diplomatic in place, just check out this cool personal player character reputation information. This is something new.

What useless garbage? Do you realize that most of the information we see is from a scrolled down part of the UI? We don't actually know what information we can access at a glance, and I don't think anybody minds detailed statistics being available on a character sheet.

coffeetable

Savant
No charisma stat. Was it already known? I know there were supposed to be no diplomacy skills, but no stats as well? I wonder how will it all work. There clearly is something diplomatic in place, just check out this cool personal player character reputation information. This is something new.
Yeah, Sawyer's opposed to social skills and attributes. All conversation checks are done on the back of otherwise-still-useful stats.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What useless garbage? Do you realize that most of the information we see is from a scrolled down part of the UI? We don't actually know what information we can access at a glance, and I don't think anybody minds detailed statistics being available on a character sheet.
All that unnecessary trivia about your character, scrolling, buttons, unused screen space. Tell me what percentage of that fraction of screen space dedicated to the character sheet actually contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.

Which information is that

In minute-to-minute IE-style gameplay, your stats are actually pretty unimportant. Inventory is what it's all about.

Hormalakh

Magister
it is nice to see certain derived stats changing quickly, like DT, hit points, stamina, etc as you adjust your inventory and what you're equipping.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.

Which information is that.
All that stuff they decided to put on that parchment area, everything else is probably visible from the gameplay screen already or completely pointless Steam charts kind of thing. At least they had the decency to put the saves somewhere clear (even if it's butt ugly, but I guess the icons are placeholder).

In minute-to-minute IE-style gameplay, your stats are actually pretty unimportant. Inventory is what it's all about.
That's true and I can't wait for the hideous icon soup.

it is nice to see certain derived stats changing quickly, like DT, hit points, stamina, etc as you adjust your inventory and what you're equipping.
I'm p. sure the inventory will show that stuff like in IE games.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tell me what percentage of that fraction of screen space dedicated to the character sheet actually contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.
You don't know that because in the screenshot you don't see what you see after pressing C, you see stuff available after scrolling down.

I see a character sheet that combines best elements from BG and NWN. I also see a dushbag who is yet to provide some actual criticism.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All that unnecessary trivia about your character, scrolling, buttons, unused screen space. Tell me what percentage of that fraction of screen space dedicated to the character sheet actually contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.
All of it.

In fact I want to see more of it. The window should be longer.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Tell me what percentage of that fraction of screen space dedicated to the character sheet actually contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.
You don't know that because in the screenshot you don't see what you see after pressing C, you see stuff available after scrolling down.
That's a mockup, genius. It's quite obvious that despite the position of the scroll bar the information boxes are at the top.

I see a character sheet that combines best elements from BG and NWN. I also see a dushbag who is yet to provide some actual criticism.
Please go back to Obsidian forums.

In fact I want to see more of it. The window should be longer.
Well you don't say.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Those attributes are definitely a large step in the right direction. Good to see Health and Stamina back to the same stat and no more Critical Damage. I'm okay with the new Concentration and Interrupt thingy, I can't help but wonder if that idea was spawned from my Effect Duration and Effect Reduction idea.

Still probably not 100% optimal but getting there. Depends how good a high Resolve is. If it's OMFG I need to disrupt that cunt's spells, then it could work pretty well.

Monad

Learned
Yeah, Sawyer's opposed to social skills and attributes. All conversation checks are done on the back of otherwise-still-useful stats.

Wait what? I'm guessing this was discussed at length 500 pages back or something? I haven't read much of this thread as I figured it was mostly arguing about pointless shit so I might've missed that bit.

Last edited:

coffeetable

Savant
Well, reputations, inventory and prior choices probably have conversation checks too. But no social stats or skills afaik.

Monad

Learned
Oh yea. That works perhaps better. I guess there are no faction reputations right? Just the way people perceive your attitude or whatever.

Hormalakh

Magister
it'd be nice to have "disruption" type abilities that would interrupt certain players for a couple of seconds. less useful than a stun, but perhaps a longer duration/wider aoe? that way when you know the wizards about to fireball your ass, and his resolve is fairly high, you can try to disrupt it. similar with rogues suddenly dropping their "increased critical damage multiplier" before going buck wild on the party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom