Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

coffeetable

Savant
Oh yea. That works perhaps better. I guess there are no faction reputations right? Just the way people perceive your attitude or whatever.
There're faction reps (under "Party Reputation" on that sheet) and personal reps (under "<PLAYERNAME> Reputation").

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Tell me what percentage of that fraction of screen space dedicated to the character sheet actually contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.
You don't know that because in the screenshot you don't see what you see after pressing C, you see stuff available after scrolling down.
That's a mockup, genius. It's quite obvious that despite the position of the scroll bar the information boxes are at the top.

I see a character sheet that combines best elements from BG and NWN. I also see a dushbag who is yet to provide some actual criticism.
Please go back to Obsidian forums.

In fact I want to see more of it. The window should be longer.
Well you don't say.

EDIT

I thought that it is a mock-up at least partially. The Exp progress bar does not match ~92% progress but perhaps the coloured bar is a separator and not an exp bar.

Still, looks beautiful to me; I like the layout. I also agree that more screen real-estate could be used to show more information, however I imagine the size of the character board is governed by a minimum supported resolution.

Last edited:

Monad

Learned
Oh yea. That works perhaps better. I guess there are no faction reputations right? Just the way people perceive your attitude or whatever.
There're faction reps (under "Party Reputation" on that sheet) and personal reps (under "<PLAYERNAME> Reputation").

My bad, i was also misremembering all of the interviews I was reading last month.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
With friendly fire, couldn't a stat that boosts AoE be shit? Dumping could be the way to go to avoid frying your party with a fireball. Unless it lets you choose how target between default and improved by intellect: 10m effect by default, +50% AoE from intellect, can target 10-15m. Or the stat could push it either way, so 5-15m, for fighting in tighter spaces.

Arkeus

Arcane
All that unnecessary trivia about your character, scrolling, buttons, unused screen space. Tell me what percentage of that fraction of screen space dedicated to the character sheet actually contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.
Character sheet is not something you use a whole lot in IE games, and this one actually seems much more useful than there: you have a quick glance to your left if you want to know your actual effectiveness, then to the middle you get the 'breakdown' on how those stats were added, and then to the right you get the 'larper' information.

It's really nice to have the larper information in the same screen, because otherwise most people will only care to check it the once at the beginning of the game. Hacing it pop up every time we press C kinda brings the character to life more.

With friendly fire, couldn't a stat that boosts AoE be shit? Dumping could be the way to go to avoid frying your party with a fireball. Unless it lets you choose how target between default and improved by intellect: 10m effect by default, +50% AoE from intellect, can target 10-15m. Or the stat could push it either way, so 5-15m, for fighting in tighter spaces.
AoE is also for Buffs/Stamina heals.

Arkeus

Arcane
Sawyer said:
Sworn Enemy is an active use 1/rest ability for paladins. They target one specific enemy and gain bonuses against that enemy until (presumably) the enemy goes down.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
fireball isn't the only aoe.

:hmmm:
But it is one of them, and it has been confirmed in game and typically has FF effects. Unless FF is out (as well as 'enemy-fire' for positive effects, like the emotion: Hope/courage spells in IWD), simply expanding AoE is not always a good thing.

Arkeus

Arcane
Josh Sawyer said:
We've mostly copied the formation UI from Temple of Elemental Evil, BTW.

Josh Sawyer said:
Accuracy is your chance to hit with any attack -- weapon, spell, gun, etc. doing damage, causing status effects, etc. -- it doesn't matter. All other things being equal, 1 point of Accuracy is 1% greater chance to hit (shifting crit, graze, and miss accordingly). When you do something offensively, you are always trying to hit and that always depends on your Accuracy vs. the target's defense(s).

Penetration is armor negation and it's something I'm less interested in attaching to Perception than Interrupt. If we did use Penetration as something modified by Perception, every attack that does damage would have a base Penetration that could be increased by Perception. It is more likely that we will stick to the old system, in which some specific spells and weapons have an inherent Penetration but other attacks simply try to brute force through DT the old-fashioned way (more damage).

As a side note, we're extremely unlikely to have attribute prereqs for Talents. In the last Pathfinder game I ran, I removed ability score prereqs from every feat and it make no discernible difference to the balance of the game (of course, I also made all of the ability scores more equally valuable, which helped).

Josh Sawyer said:
Q: Also, the update mentions equipment variations. Is that to say if I pick up an Iron Sword of Cool Stuff +1, and then pick up an Iron Sword of Moderate Stuff +1, they would have a different model? Or purely statistical variations? (or both)

A:We will try to make as many physical variants as is practical. I can't guarantee that every variant will have a different model, but we do want to distinguish them as much as we can.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Just think of how this is going to influence what comes out of Japan in about 5 years.
Not at all? I don't think niche Western cRPGs are going to be influential on japanese game market.
Might want to read up on who influenced Kurosawa, the origins of anime, and Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy.
U S A! U S A! U S A!
Actually I think Kurosawa was more influenced by European directors, even if the biggest names of course were American. There were also other fantastic Japanese directors at the time.

Monad

Learned
I don't think anyone's saying that the US is the sole influence on Japan, but it certainly is a huge influence on them especially after world war 2.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Good to see someone is at least attempting to do something seemingly neat with reputation mechanics.

All that unnecessary trivia about your character, scrolling, buttons, unused screen space. Tell me what percentage of that fraction of screen space dedicated to the character sheet actually contains the information you want to see the vast majority of the time you press C.
It's ironic that a UI designed for a pc does such a poor job of using the screen space. You should be able to fit the entire party management one one screen.

Stompa

Arcane
Sawyer is taking design cues from Pathfinder, worst balanced RPG on the market? :decline:

I don't know, I can't help but feel that a character sheet would be better served by showing all like information at a time. That is to say, instead of it being [stats1, stats2, abilities] on one side and [data1, data2] on the other, it would just show all stats and abilities at once, with a button to switch to showing all data at once. Maybe enlarge the area and rearrange it so that the reputations would be always visible, as the rest of the data seems to be misc things that aren't really all that important (naturally, that's just based on the one screenshot, so there's likely a fair bit I'm missing). But that does depend on how important the data on the various tabs is, and how often a player would find themselves having to click around. If it's much like BG2 then it doesn't matter overmuch, and I do like the way this one looks. (Maybe differentiate the shields for the various defenses to better match the type of thing they defend against. Four shields in a row looks a bit dull after four unique icons. Wouldn't feel complete if I didn't bitch about something minor.)

Also, to whomever first pointed out that paladin + vagina = Pallegina thing, fuck you, I can't unsee that.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, to whomever first pointed out that paladin + vagina = Pallegina thing, fuck you, I can't unsee that.
Why would You? It will make Codex LP of the game all the better. ;)

pe-ui-character-sheet.jpg

Love this. :love:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
They are even using the same font in the UI that they used in IWD, aren't they?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom