Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
First Fires is this district. It's named that because it's where the revolution began.

worldmockupfirstfires.jpg

prometheus12345 said:
I think First Fires is the government district and it could be called first fires because there the revolution began.

rope kid said:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It seems like each character will be carrying 2-4 weapons that they will switch between during battles as you pick one that works best for the current encounter.

Seems like a nice upgrade on IE where you found your super weapon and just used it exclusively.

I don't mind being locked into one weapon, so much. I like knowing there are instances where I won't have "the answer" and I'll just have to slug it out with no advantage.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't mind being locked into one weapon, so much. I like knowing there are instances where I won't have "the answer" and I'll just have to slug it out with no advantage.
That wasn't a thing in IE games, as soon as you got magic weapons bashing/piercing/slashing became irrelevant. All weapons were equally good in all situations. The only thing that mattered was what worked best for your build.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
That wasn't a thing in IE games, as soon as you got magic weapons bashing/piercing/slashing became irrelevant. All weapons were equally good in all situations. The only thing that mattered was what worked best for your build.

Didn't some enemies have specific resistances? Having to kill trolls and golems in specific ways was an enjoyable strategy, though I remember it kind of being a pain having to carry non-magical weapons to disperse of a certain kind of golem. If that system was more realized with more enemy resistances it would have been more effective in encouraging players to equip more than the many-headed flail or celestial fury. Sounds like a solid design decision on PoE's part. I'm not sure what skills/feats are planned, but having specific weapon based ones would also be a good addition to weapon selection and build variety.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It seems like each character will be carrying 2-4 weapons that they will switch between during battles as you pick one that works best for the current encounter.
That's fine by me; I was carrying 2-4 weapons per character due to OCD anyway...

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
In this you'll still be able to use one weapon if you want to, particularly if it's a two-hander or a -DT weapon. Those should be "pretty good" in all situations.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not true for IWD2, though it didn't use 2nd edition resistance rules.

Delterius

Arcane
Why doesn't Roguey have a fanboy tag?

First off, fanboy is extremely gender exclusive. A more inclusive terminology would be required. Second off, Roguey has transcended mere "fan" status.

Indeed.

I wonder how new employees at Obsidian react to this stuff.

'Holy shit, Josh, did you see--'

'Yeah'

'God, Chris, how about--'

'Oh, I know about that plushie'

'How can you people even sleep at night?!'

'We are used to it'

Sensuki

Arcane
I really don't think the PE devs read this thread. They might have during the Kickstarter or when the Update 49 Environment Demo came out.

They read the official forums, kickstarter comments and youtube comments. Some of them read Reddit and Josh reads Something Awful. I think Jon Burke and a couple other (Armored Warfare) guys read here though (inc Anthony Davis).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm fairly certain that the PE devs are aware, to some degree at least, of the goings on in this thread. We are part of the larger Community(tm) that needs to be followed.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm sure we have Codexers around more than willing to be their "line managers" or "community reps" and keep sending them (Obsidian) detailed summaries and/or dick selfies, in the hope of landing the job.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

Ehhhhh . . . this is mostly true, the only exception being the various golems, and also some of those enemies that needed a +5 or better to hit (like Kangaxx). If you play an archer, for example, you have to accept the fact that you will be worthless in the Kangaxx fight, since there are no longbows in the game that can hit him.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Yeah, sorry. I went to go look that up but you got to it before I could edit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure we have Codexers around more than willing to be their "line managers" or "community reps" and keep sending them (Obsidian) detailed summaries and/or dick selfies, in the hope of landing the job.

As far as I know, Obsidian have shown no interest in hiring from among the fans, and they don't seem to be interested in establishing a Brother None-esque "community rep" position either.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Didn't some enemies have specific resistances? Having to kill trolls and golems in specific ways was an enjoyable strategy, though I remember it kind of being a pain having to carry non-magical weapons to disperse of a certain kind of golem. If that system was more realized with more enemy resistances it would have been more effective in encouraging players to equip more than the many-headed flail or celestial fury. Sounds like a solid design decision on PoE's part. I'm not sure what skills/feats are planned, but having specific weapon based ones would also be a good addition to weapon selection and build variety.
You had to use fire or acid to kill a troll but you could use anything to take away their HP. Just the final or post-final blow had to be acid or fire.

Project: Eternity
I wonder how new employees at Obsidian react to this stuff.

'Holy shit, Josh, did you see--'

'Yeah'

'God, Chris, how about--'

'Oh, I know about that plushie'

'How can you people even sleep at night?!'

'We are used to it'
plushie?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom