Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not like RTTs and RTSes don't exist. I don't play them though cause you can't pause and issue orders.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd take actual real time over it.
Good news, you can ignore the pause in favor of slowing down time.

Yeah, I've always found the "RTwP sucks but just real-time is okay" thing to be bizarre.

I think what the people who say that actually mean is that they'd be okay with a sophisticated action-RPG where you control one character only (eg, Gothic, Dark Souls) or with a turn-based traditional CRPG with full party control, but not with a real-time traditional CRPG with full party control. Not sure, though.

In real time I have control over my character's movement, in turn based I have control over the whole party's movement, in real time with pause I can only vaguely direct the general direction of the entire party's movement and hope they do it right. Not a hard problem to understand.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In real time I have control over my character's movement

Okat, but that's not what "real time" means. If you mean single character action-RPG, then say that.

I could add a pause function to Gothic and presto, "real time with pause". Now you hate it?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Assuming, you are the real Brandon Adler, welcome to The Codex!
Thanks. I have followed The Codex off and on over the years, but never posted. I just wanted to let you guys know that we do have people that pay attention to these threads, even if we are just quietly lurking most of the time.
did browsing these forums ever turn out to be useful, in any way?

Delterius

Arcane
In real time I have control over my character's movement, in turn based I have control over the whole party's movement, in real time with pause I can only vaguely direct the general direction of the entire party's movement and hope they do it right. Not a hard problem to understand.
You are complaining about pathfinding issues, which are minimized in my RTSs because the paths themselves are fewer and generally much wider. Whenever the width is cut, however, the pathfinding issues you can get from those put BG's to shame.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh said:
some designers get mad at me when i give characters names that aren't two syllable first name + one syllable last name and/or anything that isn't super obvious to pronounce i.e. common english/scottish/irish/welsh surnames found in america.
I for one enjoy Pallegina and Cadegund. Bland tastes at Obsidian Entertainment.

bug: paladin's "flames of devotion" ability adds +10000% damage instead of +100%. *hand quivers as cursor passes over "request waive"*
The things we do for balance.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Assuming, you are the real Brandon Adler, welcome to The Codex!
Thanks. I have followed The Codex off and on over the years, but never posted. I just wanted to let you guys know that we do have people that pay attention to these threads, even if we are just quietly lurking most of the time.
did browsing these forums ever turn out to be useful, in any way?

Depends on what you mean, I guess. I don't think there has ever been a moment where we saw a post (or collection of posts) and immediately changed what we were doing, but sometimes seeing those posts can be the catalyst for a conversation.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
MCA: "Josh the Codex is up in arms about spell cooldowns!"

JE Sawyer: "Hold on, let me distract them"

*Signs into Codex as Roguey*

*Posts a long rant about female armor and RtWP being superior*

JE Sawyer: "There we go."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lay of Hands has a 24 hour cooldown. Just sayin...

Anyways why in the fuck are people talking about cooldowns again? There are no cooldowns in Eternity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, because it doesn't actually come back if you wait for 24 hours without resting.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Where did you read that?

Btw, I think obsidians presentation starts about now. Saw on twitter from two guys that they're starting he day with pillars of eternity.

This guy: https://twitter.com/dantack and Angry Joe.

Also, this guy allready gave his (very short) impression on twitter: https://twitter.com/necrosofty

''Pillars of eternity: very traditional infinity engine rpg, lots of clicks and d&d influence, with choose your own adventure cutscenes.''

Edit, I´m bored, checking twitter for PoE updates...
https://twitter.com/austinat, ''My geek day at #E3: Warhammer 40k and now Pillars of Eternity look excellent. Bring a sweater to Pillars though, AC is strong there. ;)''

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Duraframe300 Sensuki Roguey etc I'd appreciate it if you guys could gather as many snippets of information as possible about Obsidian's E3 demo.

Though I suppose the journalists will eventually do writeups about their impressions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom