Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Athelas

Arcane
Some recent Sawyer posts:

We have a ToEE-style grid for customizing your party formations.

I like developing currencies to help with world building but mechanically it can frustrate some people. I think our approach should work well because if you loot a dead Vailian you'll probably find some lusce or suole and a Glanfathan chest will be full of awlds but all standard transactions in stores are simply conducted in "cp" (copper pieces) represented as a single total value in your inventory (as in the IE games).

Guns and arbalests are both pretty slow. I'll be tuning the damage down a bit because their "alpha strike" capability is too dominant right now even with the low RoF. They'll still be pretty darn good weapons.

We use "townsfolk" for reactivity and general chatter. In all communities there are a fair number of townsfolk going about their background activities (not like Ultima "scheduled" behavior, but idles like warming their hands by a fire, smoking a pipe, talking with someone, sitting in a chair and drinking, etc.). Also, every town/city map has a bunch of individual named NPCs, usually with quests, who are out and about as well. They aren't Assassin's Creed crowds but they're on par with (maybe a little higher than) the IE games.

By the way, what happened to the generic quote button?

Perkel

Arcane
Why the fuck you need embargo on some small update to game ?

Or it is actually gameplay like 1 quest done fully from start to end with everything working.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's so all the game journos can take the time to write proper articles rather than hacking them out so they can be FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a good policy.

Unrelated: JES would possibly approve of referring to "The Witcher" as "The Hexer."
Josh said:
Movement in 4th edition is basically pretty stupid. Characters by default can move diagonally without cost and AoEs are giant squares. If you move 6 squares west, there are 13 different squares you can end up in and 729 possible paths you could take. This spectacular degree of options doesn't make movement tactically deep, it makes things extremely shallow. If there's some enemy between you and where you want to go, you can just go around them, usually at no cost. If there's a lava pit or a column of stone, you can just go around it. For all of 4th editions extremely numerous piles of pushing and hopping and shifting, it doesn't usually make fuck all difference because basically people can go wherever they want and being a few squares north or south doesn't actually matter. The DMG2 addresses this in two sections back to back, which are about "Creating Movement" and "Terrain" respectively. Basically this can be summed up with the idea that by having a ludicrously cluttered battlefield that has a bunch of extremely narrow choke points on it, that you can force peoples' movement to actually matter.
s/x/he's right.

hexes forever.

Josh said:
are ther eofficial hex rules for 4th ed? i know there are some in 3.5 unearthed arcana
idk but when i ran pathfinder for while i just used hexes for everything. it doesn't really take much modification if the hexes are still at the same scale. if something has a range or radius in squares you just use the same distance/size in hexes. i never ran into a situation where the group thought oh man this was designed for squares and totally doesn't work for hexes.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope the next JES game is a turn based tactical RPG with hexes

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Our artists are making a lot of the unique armors and outfits right now. Personally, I like the variety we've developed. JD Cerince is currently building the appearance for a unique suit of mail that has a silver tree and falling leaves wrapping around the torso built into the links. James Chea just finished all of our unique brigandine armors. I'm a big fan of brigandine in our game because its protection is just below plate, the speed reduction is better, and the canvas + rivet look is cool, IMO.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66298-clothing/#entry1456636

and yeah the last class update is tomorrow. We'll definitely get a new portrait with it or two IMO.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Josh posted there'd be an update tomorrow on Something Awful like just earlier. Perhaps the Update 79 thread's "3 week" hiatus was a mistake, or they're doing the class update anyway as Josh may have already finished writing it.

Gonna roll the dice on them showing a companion portrait of a Godlike Fighter

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Actually on second thoughts it may just be this:

Update 79 said:
Because we want to include you in the experience, we will be taking photos at the booth, and in a future update we will be sharing more screenshots from the demo.

Which means we might get to see some high-res UI ?

Sensuki

Arcane
E3.png

This coincides with tomorrow's update.

Sensuki

Arcane
No idea. It might just be a mini-update with some screens and photos, but who knows maybe they have a trailer or a mini-combat vid?

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm so excited for Obsidian's E3 presentation I just hope it isn't more screenshots and speeches about stuff we already know. I want to see some gameplay already.

Ramireza

Savant
A Gameplay Vid after 18 month of development? Thats impossible...

A nice Screenshot from a Waterfall and i am happy...

Athelas

Arcane
The Kickstarter launched in september 2012, so It's actually closer to 21 months. :P

Ramireza

Savant
The Kickstarter launched in september 2012, so It's actually closer to 21 months. :P

You are righ! Who Knows? Maybe we see this Waterfall animated then? What a AWESOME time to be an RPG fan!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom