Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Nigro

Educated
"most LGBT friendly RPG"...

Do gays and lesbians really need recognition through video games ? Should disabled ask for a companion in wheelchair ? Maybe we could make sure there is a deaf and a mute character also, and a blind one maybe.
There should also have recognition and equal rights to the pedophiles and zoophiles and necrophiles and woodphiles or w/e there is out there, all sexual orientations should be in the game if they are going to do something about equality

Shadenuat

Arcane
How does that look like World of Warcraft?
It does't, I was making a general statement about "fantasy should have style, even if it's style over all laws of physics and plausibility".

I also don't really get some of the complaints of something not being "realistic" enough when they are making a fantasy world
This argument is shit, go read all the analytics based on famous Tolkien's "...if you have green sun in your world" and that.
in this particular instance apparently people can draw power from a concept like "souls" and they know they'll be reborn
No they don't, the idea of souls is there, but it is also said that in PE setting, gods spread lies about souls and keep people in the dark, so we don't know that.
Also, if she'd know she will reborn, she would be a barbarian fighting naked (which actually would make a bit sense even when it comes to real history and religion). But she is't. Cadegunde is a character who went all the way to get that heavy plate do defend herself, has clear european design and a gun. So for her, it does not make sense to have booplate, opened belly, and badly drawn mail.
And she is not "Lady Cadegunde" or "Baroness Cadegunde". Just Cadegunde.

They basically and practically have every possibility to follow their imagination
Imagination draws from real world. The reason while Planescape is cool is not because it was made out of nothing. It did't just pop out with it's philosophy and amazing environments. It has factions which mimic real philosophical schools. It has worlds in which greek gods are effortlessly fit into D&D alighment system and exist with elves. It has Hercules as a cleric-proxy of his father, and Dante's Nine Hells.
Real, living myth reborn by author in his own fashion - this is what resonates within the audience.

P.S. I wholeheartly admit I am an armor/weapons freak and I want people who make RPG's love and respect the rich history of armor, it's natural beauty and style, and don't care for stylized fantasy armor, because real armor is more beautiful because it can be as shiny, engraved, but also can move and protect your body utilizing hundreds of years of weapon and armorsmith art and laws in making it, passing from generation to generation.
I also hate when women wear pants instead of skirts and dresses. That can be an important fact when I am angry about character concepts in RPGs for you.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer is not gay, just a Midwestern hippy-liberal. "Rope kid" is his identity on the Something Awful forums.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, is Josh sawyer gay? I just read a thread on /v/ with quote from a guy named "rope kid" that they said its him
No, he has a live-in girlfriend. Yes he's rope kid. Deal with it, 4chan misogynerds. :cool:

Nigro

Educated
So, is Josh sawyer gay?

So someone who is OK with and supports LGBT people is instantly gay?
I'm just curious about it, not saying he is gay, also he said he literally yells at people about the cis stuff, I think that such behaviour is more likely to be seen in LGBT people fighting for their rights!

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm just curious about it, not saying he is gay, also he said he literally yells at people about the cis stuff, I think that such behaviour is more likely to be seen in LGBT people fighting for their rights!

Even if he does't actually care, he sells stuff. If you'd sell stuff, and gay said "Hey, you sell to us gay too", how would you respond?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Even if he does't actually care, he sells stuff. If you'd sell stuff, and gay said "Hey, you sell to us gay too", how would you respond?

15612.jpg

Nigro

Educated

haha sometimes I forget that, thanks for pointing it out man, now I'm going to bed, peace folks

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
What a fucking nightmare, give sawyer a modest budget and a carte blanche to make what he wants...and we end up with something could potentially make gaider and elton john scream "Ren-faire FAGGOTRY!"

I've found a whole new respect for publishers.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
To be honest, they say a lot of good things, but they show too little. It's teasing done in a bad way. I mean: if Obsidian was a girl, the only end for this story would be a rape.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be honest, they say a lot of good things, but they show too little. It's teasing done in a bad way. I mean: if Obsidian was a girl, the only end for this story would be a rape.

What do you think they have that they haven't shown at all (or are saving for future updates)?

MCA
To be honest, I was sort of having hopes about the game after some of the updates, but this last Reddit Q&A is so full of bullshit, I'm now certain that it will suck. I even thought of changing my stance and donating something to both Kickstarter and Codex, despite the Crap Time with Pause but this...

We are designing a class-based system because we want the different characters in your party to fill different roles, and classes are the best way to achieve this goal.

What a load of bullshit. No it's not. A "role" is a meeting point of abilities. A specific single role can be filled by a single character or several characters working together. You don't need classes to get "the best way". It's just one way of doing it and it's a way of doing it by imposing restrictions and prohibiting the potential of greater possibilities of a skilled-based system. This is why they made Fallout and Arcanum the way they were to begin with. So what, are the characters in Fallout and Arcanum not filling very specific roles? Did Virgil not fill the very specific role of a combat mage? So could not the player fill any role to any degree of ability that the player could desire? Yesand yes. But no, instead we are getting this bullshit marketing speech to justify their dumbed down bullshit game.

In a skill-based game, it's harder to tell if a companion gives you the skills you are looking for, especially before you recruit them. In a class-based game, you know what each class can do, so you can decide that you want a particular class even before a potential companion offers to join you.

More bullshit. Going from past examples, the only reason you could tell what class a character was before they joined you was because IE games imposed silly paperdolls-per-classes. All classes had very distinctive looks while they were also devoid of the depth of finer interactions since the first game in the series, Baldur's Gate, was basically a last-minute RPG slamdunk that was initially designed to be a fantasy RTS adventure, and such it was so dumbed down, you didn't even need to do things like dressing up your characters with anything other than the best armor/cloak possible at any given time, eg. according to the weather or as disguises where their appearance could vary and blend. Even if not for that, you could tell what class a character was because the characters declared what they were like talking billboards.

In the end, you should be able to tell what any given character is generally capable of from the way they dress and from the tools that they carry and most importantly, their fucking skill sheet once you recruit them. And if you can not, that should be okay because this is supposed to be an old school game with complexities. Honestly, I would expect things like antagonist characters lying about their expertise to infiltrate or to join up your party for their own agenda. But suggesting class distinctions as a reason for being able to tell who is what is plain utter bullshit that you would expect from the likes of BioWare or Bethesda. Except they even Bethesda don't need that bullshit since there are no such bullshit restrictions in Bethesda's games. As it is now, the average Bethesda game has the potential to be a more mechanically complex game than this Project Eternal Crap.

And when you have a lot of companions and can choose which ones you want to take on a particular adventure, classes make it easier to form the group and be assured that you have your skillsets covered.

Translation: we want this game to be moron-proof. Because only morons would need that kind of instant distinction. Any fucking one worth his shit would be able to figure out what any given character offered and how he could mix them up to get the optimum results he wanted oh but no, Obsidian wants to make it so that nobody will be confused. "I want to make a party of a thief, a mage and a fighter. Oh hey, this guy is a mage. And this guy a thief. And this, a fighter. SO OLD-FUCKING-SCHOOL! BEST GMAE EVAH!"

You know, this entire thing is screaming that they want to mimic Dragon Age. Simplistic classes with lots of cool-down abilities. Yet more next-gen crap in the disguise of old school. I'm so glad they did this Reddit shit. Everything has become clear now.

MCA
Forgot to include this bit:

What aspect of cRPGs missing from modern games do you most want to recapture with Project Eternity?

Answer: I can answer that in one word: parties. I like playing cRPG's that allow the player to control big parties of characters, and by control, I mean you can pick the actions of each party member if you want. We will have lots of pause conditions in our combat, and if you want to have the game pause whenever a party member can perform a new action, you can do that

Cool-downs confirmed. Enjoy your MMO-influenced shit. It will be glorious watching those little counters or bars refill until you can use your favourite spell or ability again. The zenith of tactical combat in Crap Time with Pause. Obsidian at its best, left to their own devices, free of the shackles of publishers, creating utterly unoriginal generic fantasy trash.

Finally, no more of this "was not Obsidian's fault" bullshit.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:0/5:

Apparently actions must have cooldowns in order to end! EVERYTHING HAS A COOLDOWN!! :eek:

MCA
Oh, you disagree? Perhaps you would even elaborate?

It's also puzzling to me now how a lot of you* are gulping down all this bullshit so unquestioningly. If it came from Bethesda or BioWare, a lot more of you would be up in arms about it, spreading the hate and misery. Not even MCA+TinCan+Sawyer is worth following so blindly, kids. Especially when they are bullshitting you.

Why don't you compile a list of the most critical questions you think might sway potential backers, particularly the Codexers, one way or another and try to reach a consensus on the most important ones that most here would like to know and submit them to Obsidian? You are like sheep on the sacrificial stone, waiting without even knowing what you are waiting for.

*: except for the bros not backing this crap fantasy trash.

Raapys

Arcane
I'd be surprised( though happily so) if the game doesn't have cooldowns for at least some skills/spells.

MCA
I just did and it didn't make sense because:

Tim Cain said:
and if you want to have the game pause whenever a party member can perform a new action, you can do that

Apparently actions must have cooldowns in order to end! EVERYTHING HAS A COOLDOWN!! :eek:

:retarded:

Oh, but right; I'm a troll anyway. Just keep waiting. Is the stone getting any warmer, yet? Your blood will pour and fill the goblets of liars and they will gorge on your meat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom