Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Osvir

Learned
Note: The Giantbomb Chat is 4:30 hour long (and is live still currently).

You can find Josh at the table at the 1:33:04 mark

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
A post by Roby Atadero (PE Programmer) on Multi-Threading in relation to PE

The majority of AAA games use threading in some way shape or form. It doesn't necessarily need to be used for the core systems (AI, pathfinding, detection) but, you can always use threads to start a load of something (like data for a new level for example) and then let the main thread continue running the primary portion of the game. Most games also have one thread handling the rendering side of the game while the main thread handles all the computation for everything else.

If done in the right places and the right way, threads can be be pretty helpful without adding much programming time or effort. Yes, threads can cause bugs and locks, but, the way we typically use them they aren't that much of a problem given the benefits.

Because of the scope of Eternity, this game won't require threads as much as other games. But just as a tidbit of info, one thing in Eternity that uses another thread is the fog of war processing (determining if a given spot is revealed [clear], explored [transparent black], or unexplored [black]). All that can be done while updating everything else in the game and keep it running smooth. Doesn't require much thread management either since that system works on its own for the most part from the rest of the game logic.

Josh was on GiantBomb chat earlier: http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

They didn't really let him speak much, they love the sound of their own voices and were too busy talking about Lord of the Rings Shadow of Mordor. He did get to talk about the press reception to PE, he said that there were two distinct groups, one who loved it - who were Baldur's Gate fans and/or backers themselves and the other was like "hey this is quaint, so why am I looking at a game like this in 2014?" (You can just see those metacritic reviews, right)

The other bit was about Alpha Protocol's dialogue stuff and Fallout: New Vegas on consoles in relation to which retailer customers bought from.

sdsds.png

BALDERS GATE!? THE FUCK IS THAT!? :what:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I like my entertainment to be of a more cereberal nature so I prefer to read book than play game.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
That was cool seeing Josh on Giant Bomb. I love those guys - they make me laugh.

One night while at GDC, several Obsidianites when out to a bar. At that bar was Brad Shoemaker and some other Giant Bomb and former Giant People, like Matt Kessler.

This is where it got weird and or funny...

because I am friends with Matt Rorie, and because I watch Giant Bomb allllll the time, for a split second my brain said to me, "Hey! That's your buddy Brad Shoemaker!"

I then proceeded to say, "Hey Brad! How are you doing!"

Brad replied with something like, "Doing great!" He then stood up and shook my hand.

At this point my brain went, "PSYCH! You don't know this guy."

I apologized, and explained to Brad that because I know Matt, and watch the show, my brain pulled a fast one. He laughed and was very gracious about it. He then asked me where I worked.

I told him Obsidian Entertainment. He then told me how much he loved our games and our work. It was pretty cool, and then I was invited to visit CBS the next day to meet the rest of the guys, who were getting ready to do their after GDC wrapup. Vinny and I talked about Dark Souls 2. Jeff and I talked about Commodore 64 games. I asked him to please continue to make those videos and share those great games.

For me, a fan, it was easily one of the highlights of my "renewed" video game career.

Yeah... a bit of a sappy story for the Codex, I know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Disappointed in Excidium for not accusing Anthony of encouraging a culture of gaming journalism corruption. Or is that so obvious that it doesn't need to be said

titus

Arcane
Patron
tl;dr
Have they shown anything at E3 on this? There was talk of Brennecke doing a presentation at some point.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I don't know who any of these people are, they went to E3. This is the only gaming news site I read.

That Robert Lashley guy has mmorpg.com on his twitter so maybe he writes for that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom