Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Murk

Arcane
This is correct, their god grants them so many castings/abilities per day when they pray (abstracted to us as a series of slots they fill out). This is also why they start with their full spell book, their god's powers are known and so the cleric just prays to be given certain established aspects.

EDIT: In terms of basic functionality, if they want to give wizards at-will cantrips or some dumbed down Eldritch Blast like ability I honestly don't mind, so long as the wizard can't out auto-damage the fighter classes.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Now that's a motherfucking update.

Spend the time to write in-setting, the extra effort is worth it.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Wow, do you guys actually like that awful D&D spell-casting system?

I don't think there has been a single time in my life that I enjoyed the one-spell-a-day magic of AD&D. I'm all about mana pools or something similar.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fuck, this is the first update they've gotten right! The dungeon sounds great, if they finish with ~80,000 like DoubleFine, that's a 15 level goddamn dungeon! Crafting and Enchanting are great stretch goals, too, not dumb shit like the player house, or nebulous, meaningless goals like "another faction" or "THIS much more game".

Murk

Arcane
Yeah dude that's like an opinion. People sometimes have them n stuff.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I like it because it prevents you from buying 100 mana/stamina potions than chain-casting fireball to solve each and every battle.

I also like that sometimes one utility spell is enough to win a battle instead of blowing your load - e.g. see above.

I like that utility spells are not useless.

I like that some people have to walk back to inn after every fight because they can't into tactiks'.

I like d&d not because it's perfect but because it's solid.

Murk

Arcane
I think one of my favorite things is that spells scale with level and so even in end-game, low level spells can still be very useful, especially when you get access to powerful metamagic like persistent spell.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think I'll burn an orphanage if Sawyer puts cooldowns into this game just because kids need their wizard to do something awesome every turn. Fuck everything.

Edit: D&D magic is tried and true, no argument.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I wonder if Diablo-style potion-chugging is the inevitable outcome of a mana-based system.

The scarcity of magic and the power of spells is one upside to the D&D system, for sure. I wouldn't mind it if it didn't encourage tons of random "rest-for-8-hours" sessions.

Edit: I don't really think you can make the argument that something is "tried and true" in a context in which a number of people have always disliked it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I don't think there has been a single time in my life that I enjoyed the one-spell-a-day magic of AD&D. I'm all about mana pools or something similar.
You're supposed to be fragile as fuck at level 1 in DnD.

Assuming you didn't make a retarded Wizard, in 3E, you have 5 spells per day by level 3, which is plenty for any single encounter.

Also, in Baldur's Gate, I think you can get about 1000 xp just for dicking around in Candlekeep. It doesn't take long at all to reach level 2, before you really have to worry about any hard fights.

tuluse

Arcane
I wonder if Diablo-style potion-chugging is the inevitable outcome of a mana-based system.

The scarcity of magic and the power of spells is one upside to the D&D system, for sure. I wouldn't mind it if it didn't encourage tons of random "rest-for-8-hours" sessions.
I wouldn't say it's the inevitable outcome. You can have so much mana and such a high regen rate, you just don't have to worry about it like KoTOR :M

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot

Assuming you didn't make a retarded Wizard, in 3E, you have 5 spells per day by level 3, which is plenty for any single encounter.

Also, in Baldur's Gate, I think you can get about 1000 xp just for dicking around in Candlekeep. It doesn't take long at all to reach level 2, before you really have to worry about any hard fights.
Even at level 20 I thought the rest-to-recover-all-spells mechanic was bad.

If they simply rethought that mechanic but preserved the scarcity/power of magic, I'd be happy.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I think the classic Vancian system does (ideally, at least) is encourage a roguelike mentality where the players try to survive as long as possible before resting for more spells.

That can be pretty challenging and fun.

tuluse

Arcane

Even at level 20 I thought the rest-to-recover-all-spells mechanic was bad.

If they simply rethought that mechanic but preserved the scarcity/power of magic, I'd be happy.
It doesn't work great for cRPGs, but that's because it's designed for table top. Basically you're supposed to have access to all your spells for a given session then your character sleeps while you're away and you have them back the next time you play. Barring special circumstances the DM sets up. This works very well. So well, it's lasted for 30 years, and the only time people bitch about it is when cRPGs combine this mechanic with trash mobs.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
What I think the classic Vancian system does (ideally, at least) is encourage a roguelike mentality where the players try to survive as long as possible before resting for more spells.

That can be pretty challenging and fun.
That's great if it works. Unfortunately, you end up doing lots of resting/potion-chugging anyway,resting especially to get healing spells back. Yawn.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
It doesn't work great for cRPGs, but that's because it's designed for table top. Basically you're supposed to have access to all your spells for a given session then your character sleeps while you're away and you have them back the next time you play. Barring special circumstances the DM sets up. This works very well. So well, it's lasted for 30 years, and the only time people bitch about it is when cRPGs combine this mechanic with trash mobs.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we just agreed that a lot of people dislike the mechanic.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'd feel a lot better if Sawyer would leave the game mechanics to Cain and the story to Avellone.
Good lord no, Fallout and Arcanum prove that Cain utterly fails. OTOH I agreed with pretty much all of Sawyer's system changes in NV and what he had planned for VB.

tuluse

Arcane
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we just agreed that a lot of people dislike the mechanic.
Context is everything ;)

In the context of cRPGs, the vancian system has problems yes.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
LORE DUMP: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60823-drows-in-this-game/page__st__60#entry1218042

Dark elves are an old concept, but the dark-skinned "drow" are a Gygax invention. We have a few elven subraces, some of which will seem more familiar than others. In addition to the subraces, there is significant cultural division between separate groups even within one subrace. The elves that came across the sea with their human allies to settle in the Dyrwood encountered Glanfathan elves that looked almost identical to them, physically, but spoke a completely dissimilar language, dressed differently, had different values and customs, and lived virtually at a Stone Age level of technology -- all this despite abundant evidence that an ancient empire once stood around them. As a result, the elves who settled in the Dyrwood tend to feel much more kinship toward human neighbors, with whom they share a language and hundreds of years of coexistence, than the Glanfathans.

Native American Elves confirmed. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom