Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What my answer implies is that levels are all but meaningless to have in the game if the game scales with you. At no point will the Forest of Wicked Ass be an easier or more dangerous obstacle, it will always fit your level.

This limits freedom, obviously. Earlier the Forest of Wicked Ass might be nigh impossible - but the loot, man the loot I can get if I overcome it! Later it might be a walkover so I take it easy, but the loot is uninteresting. With level-scaling it is the exact same experience - an encounter tailored to the difficulty setting.

Level systems serve two purposes; customization and power-level relative to the game's denizens. The last purpose is destroyed completely by any sort of level scaling.

wormix

Augur
Scaled encounters doesn't make the level up system pointless. If anything it highlights the fact that you have become more powerful, and must face more powerful enemies to retain a challenge.

I don't think having an upper limit on level scaling is something anyone here disagreed on, so this still lets you steamroll some places, like coming back later when you're higher level.

Having some amount of scaling prevents you from accidentally out leveling an area you wanted to be a challenge, and having to meta-game your exploration so you don't accidentally trivialise the game encounters.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why do you have a level-up system in an RPG?
Exactly, it's neither bad nor does it restrict player freedom. If anything, you're free to go there later and still have a challenge.

If by your "answer" you mean to imply that this encounter should exist only in its toughest version (effectively restricting player freedom, because you have to level up sufficiently first before going there), then I'm OK with that too, because in my games that's the default behavior anyways because I have the "almost toughest random encounters" mod installed.
I'd put it like this:
It's not bad implicitly but it occurs more often in bad games. Therefore it must be difficult to implement without making the game less enjoyable. Therefore it's a feature I'd rather not have.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:conspiracy:-Shrek

What about the more simple truth: Obsidian genuinely believes they are being oldschool because of story, setting and isometric viewpoint (that stuff)? Of course they would be wrong, as well as ignorant, but whatever.

I doubt they read the 'dex enough to know that cooldowns and level-scaling would piss us off as much as it did (or rather, should have done, I see plenty of apologists).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was not obvious. It could have gone many different ways.
Like?

I don't know, the combat-centric Icewind Dale/Storm of Zehir route? I know you think those games are bullshit because "LOL RTwP" but they do represent a different design approach from the usual Obsidian "worlds/dialogue/roleplaying" stuff.

And admit it, if Brian Fargo announced the equivalent of these design decisions for Wasteland 2, you'd be insulting him now and laughing at Wasteland 2 supporters.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Scaled encounters doesn't make the level up system pointless.

No level scaling:

All areas different level, provide vastly different difficulty experiences depending when you go there.

Level scaling:

All areas provide the same difficulty experience no matter when you go there. The order in which you tackle obstacles is pointless.

This is a pretty simple fucking point.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Obsidian excels at 3 things (when the leash isn't too tight): interesting worlds with some depth, great dialogues, great role-playing.

And you base this on what? MotB only? Because I can't figure out what other game of theirs fits this.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why do you have a level-up system in an RPG?
Exactly, it's neither bad nor does it restrict player freedom. If anything, you're free to go there later and still have a challenge.

If by your "answer" you mean to imply that this encounter should exist only in its toughest version (effectively restricting player freedom, because you have to level up sufficiently first before going there), then I'm OK with that too, because in my games that's the default behavior anyways because I have the "almost toughest random encounters" mod installed.
I'd put it like this:
It's not bad implicitly but it occurs more often in bad games. Therefore it must be difficult to implement without making the game less enjoyable. Therefore it's a feature I'd rather not have.

Again, hypothetical argument. It's been bad in every single game it's been in.

Your only pracitcal argument is to highlight games where it was only in a select very encounters, so it never became a problem. I.e. the way to do it right is not to do it at all.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Pure mana based casting is the least restrictive system in modern RPGs, which is why it would have sucked ass in PE because you'd spam your top spells, much like you did in Diablo 2. At least with a cooldown system, they have a chance to make something that would be even remotely tactical.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
What my answer implies is that levels are all but meaningless to have in the game if the game scales with you. At no point will the Forest of Wicked Ass be an easier or more dangerous obstacle, it will always fit your level.
But that's not how it worked in BG2. Encounters never got easier. Few set encounters got beefed up when your level significantly exceeded the level the encounter was meant for to still provide a challenge. That's different from the level scaling you descibe and rightfully despise.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But that's not how it worked in BG2. Encounters never got easier. Few set encounters got beefed up when your level significantly exceeded the level the encounter was meant for to still provide a challenge.

wat

Are you sure you read me correctly? The "At no point..." and so on is what happens in a non-level-scaled game. It is a desirable thing. The opposite happens in level-scaled games. Difficulty never varies.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Scaled encounters doesn't make the level up system pointless.

No level scaling:

All areas different level, provide vastly different difficulty experiences depending when you go there.

Level scaling:

All areas provide the same difficulty experience no matter when you go there. The order in which you tackle obstacles is pointless.

This is a pretty simple fucking point.

Games with good exploration: Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Gothic 1 & 2

Games with bad exploration: Oblivion and Skyrim

Oh, would you look at that. All the games with good exploration had no level scaling, and the ones that did have were boring to explore. What a coincidence!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know what I think the problem is here? The word "scaling". It sets try-hards like Grunker off, makes them go nuts. They keep thinking that it means difficulty is scaled exactly to their level, resulting in boring, samey battles.

We need a new word instead of "encounter scaling". How about "encounter boosting"? That sounds more hardcore.

So for example, you can say that "for elite parties of level 10-20, this encounter is boosted with more and tougher enemies. :obviously:"

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Way to prove you either didn't read my posts or don't understand the point, Infinitron :(

For example, for elite parties of level 10-20, the encounter is boosted with more and tougher monsters. :obviously:

Putting a monocle after this certainly suggests you didn't even read the posts.

wormix

Augur
There are other ways to balance them. Make the really high powered spells take a long time to cast, leaving you defenseless. Make them apply some kind of mental fatigue lowering your maximum mana until you next rest. Prevent any kind of resource regeneration until rest. Make certain enemies focus on whoever is casting these powerful spells, so you have to spend time on casting defensive spells or debilitating the enemy.

I'd rather be forced to do something other than recast my top spell because of a tactical reason, rather than the button is greyed out for another 30 seconds.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I don't know, the combat-centric Icewind Dale/Storm of Zehir route? I know you think those games are bullshit because "LOL RTwP" but they do represent a different design approach from the usual Obsidian "worlds/dialogue/roleplaying" stuff.
I thought they were clear that it's not going to be a combat game a-la IWD but combat+ exploration+good dialogues, which I interpreted as PST or Torn meets Black Hound. I'm pretty sure that MCA & Co know what their strengths are and what their fans want.

And admit it, if Brian Fargo announced the equivalent of these design decisions for Wasteland 2, you'd be insulting him now and laughing at Wasteland 2 supporters.
First, I don't believe I've ever insulted him. Second, like I said, I wrote combat off when they said RTwP, so cooldowns come hardly as a surprise (nor do they change anything for me). As for WL2, the main difference (and that's where I disagree with DU) is that we know what to expect from Obsidian and I have absolutely no idea what to expect from InXile (well, I certainly hope that their games are not an indication of what to expect). Will combat be the main strength? Quest and dialogues? A solid package overall? I have no idea.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hardly. You can restrict it by tying the max to your skill/level and allowing no regen and absolutely limiting potions (make potions super rare and magical items that are lorewise impossible).
And what would be the odds of that in a modern RPG?

I'm not saying you can't restrict spellcasting in a mana-based system. I even gave you an example of a game that did it well - Realms of Arkania, so it's not an issue. Modern design is and Obsidian wouldn't have fucked with it, because it would piss off a lot of people.

Obsidian always plays it safe, in case you didn't notice.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Grunker: The point here isn't to "scale difficulty to your level". The point is to give high level parties more challenge by swapping selected encounters with other encounters. You're not applying some crude modifier to an existing encounter, you're replacing it entirely.

Why should the developer not have the freedom to switch around encounters as he pleases? What, as soon as he populates an area with some encounters, they have to be set in stone for the rest of the game?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Grunker: The point here isn't to "scale difficulty to your level". The point is to give high level parties more challenge by swapping selected encounters with other encounters. You're not applying some crude modifier to an existing encounter, you're replacing it entirely.

Why should the developer not have the freedom to switch around encounters as he pleases? What, as soon as he populates an area with some encounters, they have to be set in stone for the rest of the game?

Is there really a difference between the two except that you might consider the "replacing" alternative to be more elegant? From the point of view of basically making leveling irrelevant, I don't see any difference. The thing is if it's used everywhere or just to some select encounters. If it's everywhere, it's shit. Period.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Um, let's see - "RTwP, fantasy word with familiar races, it's gonna be just like BG and other awesome IE games, hey did we mention that we worked with Bio on BG? Good times!" If that's not playing it safe, I don't know what is.

Captain Shrek

Um, let's see - "RTwP, fantasy word with familiar races, it's gonna be just like BG and other awesome IE games, hey did we mention that we worked with Bio on BG? Good times!" If that's not playing it safe, I don't know what is.
No need to rub salt on the wound dude. I admitted already that I was wrong. What are you some kind of sadist?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom