Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

wormix

Augur
Haba said:
Starting to talk about romances before the characters have even been written is like climbing to a tree ass first, though.
This is kind of the point against romances. I'm not so much against romances per say, as against putting romances in the game for the sake of having romances.
If you want your joinable NPCs to have personalities and be engaging and interactive, don't have "3 NPCs who are romanceable by the PC" on your feature wishlist.

Sheer stupidity. Isn't it retarded and redundant to have virtual romances in a game?

Isn't it retarded to play games in the first place?

The main problem with romances in games is that they are usually not well written - or are only written as very transparent fan service. NPC's reacting to player choices makes them feel more like actual characters than walking character sheets. PS:T's approach where character's stance towards TNO are gradually revealed was discreet enough to not feel uncanny. I wouldn't mind seeing that in PE either.

Starting to talk about romances before the characters have even been written is like climbing to a tree ass first, though.

Well I don't feel like romances bring anything interesting to the crpg table. And I'm not an emotional engagement fag or that much of a storyafag, so... I would've liked if there were no romances in games. A lot of games I like didn't have any, and I never thought, man, if only there were some kind of subtle romances in the game. :roll: And sure, as a story, quest element, marriages and romances are good, but they are never good when PC centric IMO. Can't stand them. :D There are a lot more interesting thing you can make for the characters and world to "feel alive" than blasted romances. And another thing is, I have never encountered a game that would be a worse game without it.

Cynic

Arcane
What's the fucking point posting anything on their forums. They're making Dragon Age and don't give a fuck about your opinions. Can anyone actually name ONE GOOD THING about this game at this point? Anyone saying "Obsidian" can eat a bag of unwashed dicks.

jewboy

Arbiter
It's an excellent point and an excellent distinction to make, but even encounter scaling is not always ideal. In dungeons where the story requires there to be a Dragon for instance you don't want to substitute Asmodeus as it would change the story. Even two dragons or a single dragonling might change it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the fucking point posting anything on their forums. They're making Dragon Age and don't give a fuck about your opinions.

Don't be so sure. We got Brian Fargo to back off from the social stuff, didn't we?

It's an excellent point and an excellent distinction to make, but even encounter scaling is not always ideal. In dungeons where the story requires there to be a Dragon for instance you don't want to substitute Asmodeus as it would change the story. Even two dragons or a single dragonling might change it.
Naturally, but it's kind of a given that those kinds of set-piece encounters won't be scaled.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It has MCA. I mean, no matter how much the mechanics blow I can still sort of trust him to make a story that's interesting.

But I was actually imagining it'd be a good RPG in addition to being a good story. But now it looks like we'll get another KOTOR 2- terrible, forgettable mechanics but a great story. Even if you personally disagree it had that you can still see the point I'm trying to make. Disappointing nonetheless.

jewboy

Arbiter
The point is what it always was. To argue with a bunch of motherfuckers who want Dragon Age. The only difference now is it looks like they're actually going to get everything they want. Everyone was saying that Obsidian should just make the game they want to make. Well, it turns out Obsidian devs are not so hostile to nextgen shit after all. Maybe they haven't been making mostly shit since Black Isle because they were forced. Maybe they actually like it and the only problem they had was they couldn't make their games even more nextgen. Maybe the only reason they are selling old-school nostalgia games is that they can't compete with the likes of those Bethfuckers or EAsses at their own game. So what do they do? Change the game a bit

Don't be so sure. We got Brian Fargo to back off from the social stuff, didn't we?

Sure bro, but did you forget who his target audience were? And how he pitched the game? Quite a bit more radical tending to old school crowd and bashing the publishers than that of Obsidian. I don't think Obsidian cares even if the whole rpg Codex boycotts their game (and it won't).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, the big question is if PC is a character with a past and personality or a clean slate.

The Road RPG would sure be different if the kid wasn't the protag's son.

Clean slate with dating sim features on the other hand is a slippery slope.

But hell, if romanceable virtual companions is what raises a $3 mil for a cRPG, go ahead Obsidian. Just don't make the gay trannyfairy hit on me. Or at least give me the option to drown him in a swamp.

Captain Shrek

You are aware the IE games did have level scaling?
IE games are not the paragon of gaming. They were good games in 2000. It's 2012 and I want better. Take what was good from them of course but don't take everything just because.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are aware the IE games did have level scaling?
Well even if it did, it wasn't too obvious. If my low level party wondered into a high level area, our ass was kicked. The monsters didn't scale down to our level. And after we gained a few level, we could easily finish weaker creatures, since they didn't scale up.

Nigro

Educated
Yes, Tim Cain too, as well as your mother.
Hey bro, no need to offend me, I'm just curious as to what one of the lead developers of Project Eternity sexual orientation is, I'm not trying to offend anyone here..

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, I've lowered my rather large pledge to something more reasonable, given the cooldown reveal. I've played and enjoyed games with cooldown systems, but it was not what I was expecting from this project. If they clarify it and explain it in a way that isn't idiotic, perhaps I'll raise the pledge. Cooldowns could work, as long as they're not ridiculously short. If they work over a long-term period of time, I could see it used effectively to eliminate Rest-spamming while at the same time keeping combat meaningful and tactical. It would eliminate dungeon-wide management of spells which would be a negative, but it would still keep individual battles meaningful. It wouldn't be perfect.

Still, I wonder why they don't want to use a form of Vancian magic? I mean, it's not entirely true that it's not used at all nowadays. Hell, Dark Souls, a sequel to an MP based game, actually used something similar to a Vancian system (Each spell gets limited uses. You cannot recover them without resting at a check-point, which also respawns all monsters) and it sold rather well. They can make it work in a modern system. They can make it work even if it's not exactly like the Vancian systems of old.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Am I the only one who has got tired of Project Eternity?
Yes.

So we know the exact specifics of this cooldown system in PE?
We're going by on one miserable little quote by Feargus and Sawyer's (admittedly retarded) reasonings on SA.

Edit: to be fair, that's probably the thing that pisses me off in a bad way, Sawyer catering to those dumbfucks at something awful.

almondblight

Arcane
Obsidian has (thus far) failed to recreate DF and W2's mid-period pledge jump:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was mostly due to the lack of a $15 dollar tier. The lowest tier right now is $25, so you can pretty much expect less pledges but more money per pledge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom