Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
remove bioware actually gave me a bad idea.

you are worst bioware. you are the bioware idiot, you are the bioware smell. return to EA, to our EA cousins you may come our rpg. you may live in the GD, ahahahaha. activision we will never forgeve you. dumbfuck rascal fuck asshole bioware stink activision fs ffs. bioware dragon age 2 butthurtoutrage best day of my life. take a bath of bankrupt bioware ahahahah activision we will get you! do not forget 2006. bethesda we drive out of contry, bethesda return to your precious BSF. hahahahaha idiot bioware and bethesda smell so bad. wow, i can smell it.

REMOVE BIOTARD FROM THE FORUMS

you will get banned.

iron tower studios+inxile+obsidian= kill bethesda.

blakemore alive in codexia. blakemore making CRPG of codexia. fast turnbaed codexia. we are rich and have game now ahahaha because of blakemore
you are poor stink bioware... you live in a social network ahaha you live in a shithole
blakemore alive number one #1 in codexia.... fuck the obsidian fuck asshol bioware no good i spit in the mouth eye of ur logo and forums.

blakemore aliv and real strong programmer kill all bioware manwhalefan with turnbase magic now we codexia rule. ape of the zoo CEO altmann fuck the great satan and lay egg this egg hatch and bethesda was born

stupid baby from the eggn give back our RPG we will crush u like a skull of pig. codexia, greatest forum.

Cynic

Arcane
haha oh wow, fucking LEVEL SCALING TOO!!! Oh shit Obsidian, you fucking did it, you win the prize, the money, coke and the hookers. But those are nothing compared to the glorious title of the most magnificent trolling of the Codex in history.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
what's the big deal with level scaling, most of rpgs have it don't they?

Besides Wizardry (where it also sucked), few great RPGs pre-2002 have them.

oh
So just because few great RPGs have it, that means that there is no way it can be implemented in a good way?

No, but I'll sure as hell rather bet on proven mechanics than on mechanics that are proved to be shit and must be reinvented to find any use.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Well, at least one good thing has already come out of this kickstarter: Ps:T and BG2 are top sellers over at gog. These are new people getting acquainted with these games.

4xqPe.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So what exactly is Obsidian doing in this game that is like the IE game?

The perspective and that is it?

wormix

Augur
Level scaling is something I can defend when done right. There's a clear goal for using level scaling and it doesn't have to be applied as a blanket case like in Oblivion.
BG2 might not be the most loved game here, but I thought the way it implemented level scaling worked well, with encounters having a range of types of enemies (and numbers) that you could encounter based on your level.
I'm not sure if this is the type of scaling mentioned in the quote, but it's a far cry from Oblivion's ridiculous level scaling.

Implementing cooldowns, on the other hand, has a flawed goal in the first place, and just creates more issues.

jewboy

Arbiter
haha oh wow, fucking LEVEL SCALING TOO!!! Oh shit Obsidian, you fucking did it, you win the prize, the money, coke and the hookers. But those are nothing compared to the glorious title of the most magnificent trolling of the Codex in history.

Haha. True that. Gotta give 'em some credit for that. They also demonstrate honesty/integrity telling us all this shit now. They had to know they would split the community along faction lines and alienate most codexians and other old school fans. I am quite willing to believe that codexians are a tiny minority of the backers, but surely they will still lose at least a few grand from that early announcement. OTOH, they will probably gain many times that amount from drooling BioDrones and maybe score some extra Bethtards and MMORPGers as well. You can seriously never lose money by pandering to the majority, even if it does make the whole kickstarter method kind of pointless.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Well, at least one good thing has already come out of this kickstarter: Ps:T and BG2 are top sellers over at gog. These are new people getting acquainted with these games.

And getting milked by GoG in the process :smug:

jewboy

Arbiter
Well the minigame style is kind of lame and they're just a waste resources. Also, considering all the NextGen stuff they are planning for this game they might try to pull a DA2 with the romances. I admit that compared to the whole cooldown fiasco it seems trivial now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's not get back to the romance topic. The fuck cares about romances. Let's just talk about cooldowns and level scaling, as they are more important.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Level scaling is something I can defend when done right. There's a clear goal for using level scaling and it doesn't have to be applied as a blanket case like in Oblivion.
BG2 might not be the most loved game here, but I thought the way it implemented level scaling worked well, with encounters having a range of types of enemies (and numbers) that you could encounter based on your level.
I'm not sure if this is the type of scaling mentioned in the quote, but it's a far cry from Oblivion's ridiculous level scaling.

Implementing cooldowns, on the other hand, has a flawed goal in the first place, and just creates more issues.
Regarding BG2, that's probably - technically - no level-scaling since the levels of enemies did not scale. More like encounter-scaling insofar as depending on party-level more and/or more powerful enemies got added to certain encounters, probably also depending on difficulty level, for instance Demogorgon would spawn babaus or glabrezus on normal, but balors and mariliths on higher difficulties. iirc. And it only applied to a select few encounters.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regarding BG2, that's probably - technically - no level-scaling since the levels of enemies did not scale. More like encounter-scaling insofar as depending on party-level more and/or more powerful enemies got added to certain encounters, probably also depending on difficulty level, for instance Demogorgon would spawn babaus or glabrezus on normal, but balors and mariliths on higher difficulties. iirc.

This is worth making a post about on the Obsidian forums.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sheer stupidity. Isn't it retarded and redundant to have virtual romances in a game?

Isn't it retarded to play games in the first place?

The main problem with romances in games is that they are usually not well written - or are only written as very transparent fan service. NPC's reacting to player choices makes them feel more like actual characters than walking character sheets. PS:T's approach where character's stance towards TNO are gradually revealed was discreet enough to not feel uncanny. I wouldn't mind seeing that in PE either.

Starting to talk about romances before the characters have even been written is like climbing to a tree ass first, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regarding BG2, that's probably - technically - no level-scaling since the levels of enemies did not scale. More like encounter-scaling insofar as depending on party-level more and/or more powerful enemies got added to certain encounters, probably also depending on difficulty level, for instance Demogorgon would spawn babaus or glabrezus on normal, but balors and mariliths on higher difficulties. iirc.

This is worth making a post about on the Obsidian forums.

Here we go.

Don't scale individual enemies, scale ENCOUNTERS http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60889-level-scaling-dont-scale-individual-enemies-scale-encounters/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom