Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

wormix

Augur
Games with good exploration: Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Gothic 1 & 2
They are also Action RPGs where your skill is generally more important than your level. You can beat both Dark Souls and Demons Souls at level 1. You could even argue that level scaling wouldn't have hurt the game at all.

Level scaling:

All areas provide the same difficulty experience no matter when you go there. The order in which you tackle obstacles is pointless.
You should make sure to read others posts before you accuse people of not reading yours.
I already said a good scaling system will have limits to how much enemies and encounters will scale. Let me propose an example, if every enemy in the game scaled a single level higher if you were 5 levels higher, this would immediately make the game shit based on your criteria.

I don't think anyone here is promoting Oblivion level scaling where everything provides the same challenge, but some form of scaling to allow higher level parties to retain some challenge at higher levels (to a point).

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Fun facts :
- some tactical RPGs have level scaling, like FF tactics ;
- cooldowns are a good way to implement something that turnbased games rarely do : tiredness and exhaustion.

Those two things depend entirely on the way they're implemented. Raging over buzzwords is as stupid as masturbating over them.

Alex

Arcane
Ladies...

I thought it was clear from day one that the game will have cooldowns, so I don't understand the sudden "oh noes! the cooldowns are in!" cries. Is Roguey the only one with brains here?

It was clear (I hope) that the game won't use the Vancian system, (...)

I don't think it was. I mean, I definitely was expecting it. I expect even worse yet, to be truthful, which is why I haven't pledged already. But obviously at least a few people were hopeful we would get some kind of system like that.

(...) which isn't a huge loss as it was never implemented well (definitely not in the IE or NWN games where the formula was rest, blast your foes, rinse and repeat). It works like a charm in a controlled environment (PnP) but not in cRPGs where little Johny's feelings must be taken into consideration. Sad but true.

I think it would work pretty fine if the game just took time into consideration. That is all it takes to change rest from a no consequence cheat key into an interesting tactical decision. It isn't so far fetched to think Obsidian would do that. I men, Mask of the Betrayer had that spirit eating mechanic that made time important, and it is natural to think this game will be more anathema to publishers than any Obsidian has produced. Actually having interesting encounters for the night watches would be a great improvement too.

So, if not memorization, then what? A pure mana system a-la Diablo? Sure mana-based casting worked well in the old games like Realms of Arkania where magic was going up slowly, but in modern RPGs (and PE is a modern RPG whether you like it or not) it goes up fast and you get a steady supply of mana potions, should you find the regen rate too slow.

Therefore, the cooldowns are the only options here. While they are mostly associated with shitty MMO and "watch the cooldowns" mini-game, there is no reason to believe that they can't be done well, because in a nutshell, every magic system is designed to restrict spellcasting in some way.

But you just said yourself PE is a modern RPG. Isn't it enough to believe it will be badly done, then?

As Feargus pointed out, DnD's X number of use per day abilities are nothing but very long cooldowns. From this point of view, cooldowns definitely work and they can work very well, as long as they aren't too fast.

Of course, Obsidian will most likely try to make combat actiony, but we knew that from day one when they said RTwP (i.e. cooldowns have nothing to do with it).

I don't really have much of a problem with really long cooldowns trying to simulate vancian casting. I mean, it sounds pretty ridiculous, if you want that kind of casting, just use it.But if you are going to emulate it well using other mechanics, it still won't change my fun. I do think it is a damn shame they try the patchwork solution, rather than trying to take how the older games worked and change the design so what wasn't working started to do so.

But my real fear is that all this hints to a direction I really don't like to this project. Let's take a quick look at BG's combat. In any given fight, you had thousands of ways to approach it. You could have any of more than 100 spells memorized, you could have very different companions, with very different strengths and weakness. Combat there could be a real mixed bag. Some encounters required you did something more or less a certain way, while others could be tackled in many different forms. In a way, combat was an important way you roleplayed in the game. You could make many different choices, and to a certain degree, the game obliged them. PS:T didn't have this nearly as mcuh, but sometimes you would get to see things that happened in the story affect combat, like getting Ignus' spells.

It feels Obsidian is afraid of trying to recreate this for PE. Like, they don't want abilities to be all over the place and crazy like in BG, but instead have everything in their proper place, so the game can follow the proper growth they want it to. In a way, IE felt a lot like it captured the spirit of 2E. Like, Goldbox games had the spirit of 1E well enough. They lacked the sandboxy deal that was present in those days, but nailed a few of the other things, like the class gambling thing they had going (specially when you take characters from one game to another). then, IE did away with a few of the strengths of those games, like the fun dungeon crawling, and the exact combat, but embraced the more "baroque", I guess, spirit of 2E. BG, embraced the early spirit, with the high fantasy stuff, thge lots of options things and so on. PS:T embraced the later one, like the weird settings and such.

What I am trying to say is that IE games are, a lot, about 2E. Not the rules set, itself, but the spirit that accompanied it. I think people are afraid that the spirit PE will embrace will be that of 4E, instead.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There is no functional difference Infinitron. Did you actually read this post:

Scaled encounters doesn't make the level up system pointless.

No level scaling:

All areas different level, provide vastly different difficulty experiences depending when you go there.

Level scaling:

All areas provide the same difficulty experience no matter when you go there. The order in which you tackle obstacles is pointless.

This is a pretty simple fucking point.

?

Because your "encounter scaling" has the exact same result in this regard.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All areas provide the same difficulty experience no matter when you go there.

No, because this is false. Encounters should NOT swapped in such a way that difficulty level is maintained no matter when you go to an area.

They should not be "scaled", they should be BOOSTED.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fun facts :
- tactical RPGs have level scaling, like FF tactic ;

Tactical RPGs do not have exploration as a central mechanic.

- cooldowns are a good way to implement something that turnbased games rarely do : tiredness and exhaustion.

Fatigue systems are infinitely better at this (how does a cooldown do this, lol? you use "lift heavy shit", get tired, it goes on cooldown, and then you use "lift heavy as fuck shit" right after with the first on cooldown? get a grip). See GURPS.

In other words:

Those two things depend entirely on the way they're implemented. Raging over buzzwords is as stupid as masturbating over them.

Fuck you.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

No, because this is false. Encounters should NOT swapped in such a way that difficulty level is maintained no matter when you go to an area.

Are you fucking trolling me? :lol:

Seriosuly, I don't understand what you mean. How the fuck will "boosting" not result in this problem?

Trading two bandits with two liches is functionally nearly the same as making two bandits as strong as two liches.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

And what does this boost mean? They replace it with a more difficult encounter to keep the "challenge". What's the difference, really?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If in encounter X, I meet four orcs at level 3, and eight orcs at level 10, can you honestly say that "OMG THE DIFFICULTY IS THE SAME, DECLINE"?

No, the encounter remains challenging at level 3 and easy at level 10, but at level 10 it's been boosted so that at least it's not a completely boring curb-stomp.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
No, it has not. Do you really not see the difference?
No one prevents you from leaving Irenicus dungeon, make a beeline for the twisted rune and get raped hard. So you're
is utter nonsense. This effect would only occur if all encounters would scale down as well. Plus, encounter scaling should be reserved for certain set pieces, not for the majority of fights. And another plus, encounter scaling - or as I call it, dynamic difficulty adjustment (DDA) - is a better way to implement different difficulty levels than retarded mechanics like +100% damage as in BG/NWN series.

Captain Shrek

No, it has not. Do you really not see the difference?
No one prevents you from leaving Irenicus dungeon, make a beeline for the twisted rune and get raped hard. So you're
is utter nonsense. This effect would only occur if all encounters would scale down as well. Plus, encounter scaling should be reserved for certain set pieces, not for the majority of fights. And another plus, encounter scaling - or as I call it, dynamic difficulty adjustment (DDA) - is a better way to implement different difficulty levels than retarded mechanics like +100% damage as in BG/NWN series.
Except BG2 is not really the same as oblivion or morrowind or Skyrim or gothic. It's really not a true open world game. It has an entirely different genre IN THAT REGARD (exploration). I can very well imagine good reasons why would encounter design be modified for each of these types. but no matter what LEVEL SCALING is bad. Encounter scaling, not so much IF YOU CAN CONTEXTUALLY get away with it. Would not make much sense to fill a bear cave with Dragons.

Don't be so sure. We got Brian Fargo to back off from the social stuff, didn't we?

Sure bro, but did you forget who his target audience were? And how he pitched the game? Quite a bit more radical tending to old school crowd and bashing the publishers than that of Obsidian. I don't think Obsidian cares even if the whole rpg Codex boycotts their game (and it won't).
So good games are essentially hostage to the integrity of the game developer? What a.. an interesting supposition.

Look. I sound quite mad but this has always been a fact. No developer with the slightest interest in making money ALONE is going to make games for us and us alone. Think about who this game is targeting with its announcements: Hipsters. The setting is still Tolkein-inspired. The gameplay is still Cool downs with rounds, there is level scaling. What do all these things tell you? Go figure. They used our (nefarious?) reputation as mavericks to attract hipsters who finally only want gay buttsex in their games.

Don't you remember when asked in the interviews during kickstarter, since he is pitching an old school game, about what will they do if the game flops sales wise, Fargo said that he hopes it will sell well, because ultimately why an isometric crpg with cool setting, quests, dialogue, party based tactical combat wouldn't be interesting to play even today? And then he added that even if it does fail, there is no real loss as it is his long year desire to make a Wasteland sequel, and there will be no losses (financial and otherwise), because ultimately fans payed for what they wanted and iXile made them for what they have been payed (since they got their salaries for those approximately two years they have been working on the game).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If in encounter X, I meet four orcs at level 3, and eight orcs at level 10, can you honestly say that "OMG THE DIFFICULTY IS THE SAME, DECLINE"?

No, the encounter remains challenging at level 3 and easy at level 10, but at level 10 it's been boosted so that at least it's not a completely boring curb-stomp.

So, again, obviously you're talking about completely different things.
What's the difference between what you just said and having say, instead: 4 orcs at level 3 becoming as strong as 8 orcs at level 10? And how do you know what they'll do won't be just scaling the difficulty?
The point is to get to have difficult encounters that you can't win until you level up some more. That's what leveling is for. And it won't happen if you keep "boosting" the encounter. And since you have to win all encounters, then the difficulty will always be just right so you can do it.

x4nti

Educated
Level scaling (or boosting) deprives a game location of it's internal logic. This is bad, in fact really bad. Just because it's more fun to battle an adamantine golem than a clay golem doesn't mean that I want one in the vestibule to Firkraags lair. So what if I steam roll the encounters up till Firkraag? I'm, after all, level 17. The real encounter is with the dragon; not his minions. BG2 is obviously level scaled because they didn't dare to have harder and easier quests - and in the wake of that PE follows. Shun the thought that they'd make it matter which game-arc you attempt first.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
What's the difference between what you just said and having say, instead: 4 orcs at level 3 becoming as strong as 8 orcs at level 10?

Fighting a larger group of monsters is qualitatively different from fighting a smaller group of monsters. Even if you beef up the smaller group, the combat dynamics are still different.

And how do you know what they'll do won't be just scaling the difficulty?

Well, that's why I made that thread on their forums! Go over there and tell them!

The point is to get to have difficult encounters that you can't win until you level up some more. That's what leveling is for. And it won't happen if you keep "boosting" the encounter.

Again, false, the instance of boosting I just described did NOT make the encounter unwinnable or difficult. It remained easy, just less boring.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
J E Sawyer" said:
Reading all of the quotes on the front page, it really sounds like the cooldowns are more likely replacing the rest system while you will still have to make choices about what spells you have available to cast.
Thank you for reading what I wrote.

J E Sawyer said:
I don't know where this topic came from, but I don't expect to use level scaling much, if at all, in PE.

Sub guise.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Tactical RPGs do not have exploration as a central mechanic.

I see your point, but combats in BG's last third (and while exploring) were a chore because of the absence of level scaling.
I'm afraid you're only thinking "oblivion" here, but i see at least two ways of doing "good" level scaling (even if it's not possible in your book) : first one is making enemy abilities'lethality level-dependant, the second being to build progressively on a minimum roster (= Infinitron's boosting, or D&D challenge ratings) as the levels increase.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...es-scale-encounters/page__st__40#entry1219467

J.E. Sawyer said:
I don't know where this topic came from, but I don't expect to use level scaling much, if at all, in PE.

YGYh9.gif

"And that's the end of that chapter."

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Crafting and enchanting is in at 2.4 million guys! Get out your wallets, I know I am.

Plus the spirit eater mechanic was only interesting for a second, until you found out that you could game the entire system by feeding off those forest spirits, that regenerated every 24 hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom