Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Replacement for resting sounds exactly like the DA-model.

Oh well, we'll see.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
meh. They are giving just as much exact specifics as WL2 did. And the codex fapped away blindingly throwing them cash. ;)

Granted yes more info is good (there's more info in the other thread).

I really need to split the discussion from here to the other thread.

Myeah, leaving aside the disagreements I have with your assessments, I thought it was about what they can do when "the leash isn't too tight" and now you're listing me everything they released? So when was the leash tight then? And when not? If they can do all these "great things" with a leash, why do they need Kickstarter? If they can't do better, I see no reason to help them. I'm supposed to give them money to do what they already do?

But bro, they will make ISOMETRIC game!!!! Or maybe because they are going 2D backgrounds? :roll:

Yes, this is the saddest part for me.

wormix

Augur
Now, about those cooldowns...

They will not be the fucking retarded WOW/DA kind, and replaces resting. So we still have the tactical choice of do I use my 1 remaining fireball spell in this battle?

I can live with that. I will however be curious HOW they implement this. I think Josh and Tim can come to a good conclusion.
This is basically how I'm feeling at this point.

I don't really have anything to add for now since my main concerns have been alleviated. Also I keep getting confused with which thread I'm in.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wait, people are upset they aren't using an ill-suited pnp relic memorization/rest system?
Is this real outrage or troll outrage, I can't even tell anymore.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Replacement for resting sounds exactly like the DA-model.

Oh well, we'll see.

No, not really. The cooldowns in DA were in operation during combat, not just between combats.

Some people are interpreting it as "8 hour cooldowns" but I doubt that.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
FeelTheRads

First, you asked what my opinion is based on. I listed their games and explained what I liked and what I didn't. Combat consistently sucked. Dialogues and choices were consistently good or better. Thus, I expect top dialogues and role-playing and mediocre combat. If the combat is good, it will be a bonus.

The leash was tighter on NWN2 than on the expansion set, for example. It was also tighter on AP, as I don't think an action game was their choice. Sure, they pitched it but only because they had to, after they tried to pitch everything else.

Why do they need KS? Because it sure looks like the only work they can get these days are games like DS3 and South Park, which I won't touch. Their projected get canceled and they had to lay off a lot of people recently. I don't see a bright future for Obsidian and for me as a gamer, without the KS success, which will give them a chance to do what they do best and stay in business making role-playing games. This is why I support them. This is why you should consider supporting them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This debate feels like the good old days. :sniff:
Which proves that hardly anything interesting happened in the world of cRPGs for years, and if something happens it's like in the good old days again...

Indeed.

VaultDweller said:
Why do they need KS? Because it sure looks like the only work they can get these days are games like DS3 and South Park, which I won't touch. Their projected get canceled and they had to lay off a lot of people recently. I don't see a bright future for Obsidian and for me as a gamer, without the KS success, which will give them a chance to do what they do best and stay in business making role-playing games. This is why I support them. This is why you should consider supporting them.

We don't always see eye to eye, but this is well put, and I agree completely.

In essence, my contributions, also to some of the less exciting projects, can be explained with the fact that I say: we get this chance, and this chance only. Let's push it and push it hard. If KS becomes a reasonable success and RPGs start rolling back, maybe we can squeeze out a few glory years before the next inevitable crush into popamolereproduction. Who gives a fuck if one or two of the games aren't a complete fullfillment of all Codexian dreams and desires?

Note that I never withdrew or reduced my pledge during the whole level-scale/cooldown debate. I won't up it unless something cool comes along, though.

wormix

Augur
Some people are interpreting it as "8 hour cooldowns" but I doubt that.
I'm not really sure how that would work anyway. One spell you can cast every 8 hours works for a select few uncommon abilities (D&D style X-a-day abilities) but this is for the entire magic system. Presumably the same rules apply for all spells you cast.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This is why I support them. This is why you should consider supporting them.

Nope, sorry. You may want what they do/did. I don't. First it was: Hah.. NWN2, publishers didn't let them do it right. Now it's: Eh, South Park... they can't do NWN2 anymore.
I hoped they would be capable of better things with no leash. Apparently not. I'm not gonna support "playing it safe".

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FeelTheRads

First, you asked what my opinion is based on. I listed their games and explained what I liked and what I didn't. Combat consistently sucked. Dialogues and choices were consistently good or better. Thus, I expect top dialogues and role-playing and mediocre combat. If the combat is good, it will be a bonus.

The leash was tighter on NWN2 than on the expansion set, for example. It was also tighter on AP, as I don't think an action game was their choice. Sure, they pitched it but only because they had to, after they tried to pitch everything else.

Very rousing speech, VD.

Although it's a bit undercut by the fact that you start out with low expectations from the beginning ("combat consistently sucked").

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Also guise remember that “cooldown” has “cool” in the name, so it must be inherently good.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Infinitron
My expectations aren't low, they are realistic. I expect a game that will be as good as PST, which is the opposite of low expectations. At the same time we all know that combat was the weakest aspect of PST, yet it didn't prevent the game from being a Codex top 10 RPG. So, to put it simply, I expect another top 10 RPG.

wormix

Augur
Sorry for just quoting one part but I lost track of the conversation at some point.
Combat consistently sucked.
Combat in their games may have never been that great, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be worried if they see them adding things to make it even worse. I expected the elements of the game to be on par with those elements of their previous games. Seeing certain features crop up during discussion that made it seem more like DA:O shouldn't be expected.

Captain Shrek

Infinitron
My expectations aren't low, they are realistic. I expect a game that will be as good as PST, which is the opposite of low expectations. At the same time we all know that combat was the weakest aspect of PST, yet it didn't prevent the game from being a Codex top 10 RPG. So, to put it simply, I expect another top 10 RPG.

Stop justifying bad things and you know it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Infinitron
I was expecting them to make combat at least as good as BG and IWD. I was hoping they would learn from their mistakes and making something better. I was further hoping Tim Cain's influence would make a big difference.

I now think they are going to fall short of my expectations, and get no where near my hopes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Not at all - The Witcher certainly isn't - but so far we've seen little to suggest original elements a la Torment. The concept of souls sounds pretty cliché.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom