Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's shit because it's Obsidian. But Fargo shits gold bricks.

Aren't we forgetting that there is whine every time something new is posted about Wasteland, mr. Fag?

That is usually the regular forum moran brigade that does all the complaining. Same as in every single VD/AoD News topic. :roll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Push comes to shove, I will play the fuck out of PE because it will almost certainly be much better than nothing.

Disappointing. Oblivion is better than nothing. Or is it? I don't know, but logically it should be.

Yeah, let's just keep having no rides at all.

When do we stop with the rides then?
Publishers - let's see what they do with no publishers.
No publishers - let's see what they do after they make a couple of shitty games to make money
After a couple of shitty games - ???

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
oh man this fukkin' thread

jackson_popcorn_gif.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'm not saying give them hundreds of dollars, but surely you can afford to throw them 25 bucks?

I can, but I don't believe in "support them in making shit because maybe they'll do something better someday".
If you think that games like PST, MotB, New Vegas, Dead Money were shit, then don't support them.

In other words: no more free rides. Which some people seem to have forgotten. Wasn't it "let's see what they can do without publishers"? Well, this is what they can do.
Do you understand what role the publishers play? They give money. So if one wants to ditch the publishers, one needs to secure alternative funding. This is what it's all about. Unless you think that the Codex alone can keep Obsidian afloat, you should be able to understand why they are playing it safe.

Not good enough. Now, what, I'm supposed to wait and see what they can do with no publishers and a very relative safe future? I don't think so. If they get safe with shit, they'll continue doing shit.
Maybe, maybe not, but PST, MotB, and Dead Money show that they are interested in making different games that nobody else would and did, when they are given an opportunity to do so. Right now, they just finished laying off a bunch of people. Right now, they don't have such an opportunity.

At least Fargo took some risks.
When? Fargo had nothing but the license. Had he announced that he's making some brand new game, he wouldn't have collected more than 200-300k. So, he played the only card he had left. He played it well and we applaud him, but let's not confuse it with risk-taking.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Am so fucking glad to hear that Sawyer confirmed that level scaling will be at a minimum, if at all. Now there's still the matter of cooldowns..

At least Fargo took some risks.
When? Fargo had nothing but the license. Had he announced that he's making some brand new game, he wouldn't have collected more than 200-300k. So, he played the only card he had left. He played it well and we applaud him, but let's not confuse it with risk-taking.

You don't consider risky "pitching" party based character creation and turn based tactical combat today?

Vault Dweller

Developer
General Maxson
Well, you can't pitch WL2 with Diablo-like mechanics, can you? Fargo's pitch was perfect - this is your last chance to have WL2 made. If you want it, give me your money NOW!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In comparing the two you pretty much disqualify your own argument, IMO.

Simply saying that "better than nothing" is hardly a quality.

If nothing else, it's risk-taking because he went for something considered dead or out-dated: turn-based combat. The rest might be just card-playing, but I like his card better. Obsidian's card is just: help us make a game which is slightly better than what we usually do.

General Maxson
Well, you can't pitch WL2 with Diablo-like mechanics, can you? Fargo's pitch was perfect - this is your last chance to have WL2 made. If you want it, give me your money NOW!

Bro, surely, with his bullshitting skills (PR) he could have "persuaded" the backers for something at least rtwp, as it would "widen" the audience, or something in the vein of Fallout 3... Not fucking "outdated" turn based.

But, although I'm a poor eastern european, I think I will give Obsidian some money in hopes of finally being able to have something new to play that's not total :decline:. I hope they say some good thing further down the road, as I still require some convincing. :obviously:

Vault Dweller

Developer
If nothing else, it's risk-taking because he went for something considered dead or out-dated: turn-based combat. The rest might be just card-playing, but I like his card better. Obsidian's card is just: help us make a game which is slightly better than what we usually do.
You can't play the WL2 card without going TB and party based. It just won't work.

As for Obsidian vs inXile, it's proven ability vs good license. inXile *may* have the ability, but we don't know it for sure. We don't know much for sure, thus it's easier to believe the proven ability (with all its flaws) than good intentions.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, you can't pitch WL2 with Diablo-like mechanics, can you?

He couldn't know how well that would do, could he?
In the meantime Obsidian is basically pitching Dragon Age. Or you're gonna tell me we can't have Dragon Age with publishers either now?

because it will almost certainly be much better than nothing.

:lol: Divide by zero. Bro, compare it with something. 100 is much larger than 0 compared to 2, but which one is better and why?

General Maxson

Bro, surely, with his bullshitting skills (PR) he could have "persuaded" the backers for something at least rtwp, as it would "widen" the audience, or something in the vein of Fallout 3... Not fucking "outdated" turn based.
Wasteland is not Baldur's gate.

New X-com? :troll:

You can't play the WL2 card without going TB and party based. It just won't work.

As for Obsidian vs inXile, it's proven ability vs good license. inXile *may* have the ability, but we don't know it for sure. We don't know much for sure, thus it's easier to believe the proven ability (with all its flaws) than good intentions.

How could Bethesda play first person shooter real time card with FALLOUT and sell millions?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, you can't pitch WL2 with Diablo-like mechanics, can you?

He couldn't know how well that would do, could he?
He could have guessed it. Again, look at his pitch, whom it was aimed it, what the message was, and how he played it. If the game will be half as good as the pitch, we're in luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom