Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron
My expectations aren't low, they are realistic. I expect a game that will be as good as PST, which is the opposite of low expectations. At the same time we all know that combat was the weakest aspect of PST, yet it didn't prevent the game from being a Codex top 10 RPG. So, to put it simply, I expect another top 10 RPG.
I was expecting them to make combat at least as good as BG and IWD. I was hoping they would learn from their mistakes and making something better. I was further hoping Tim Cain's influence would make a big difference.

I now think they are going to fall short of my expectations, and get no where near my hopes.

See, that argument doesn't work on VD, because he thinks RTwP combat = autoshit. The dialog and C&C is the only thing he's ever seen and cared about in these games.

So paradoxically he's optimistic about this game because he thinks a central part of it is already doomed to fail.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Most of us, myself including, will still get it because it's MCA and this is the best chance for something like PS:T again- and if it succeeds, dare I say it, PS:T 2 or Arcanum 2?

Won't stop me from bitching about cooldowns until the grave.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I hoped they would be capable of better things with no leash. Apparently not. I'm not gonna support "playing it safe".
No leash and money - good. No leash and no money - worse than a leash. They are playing it safe because it's a smart choice. If it gets them good funding and better sales, and gets us a spiritual successor to PST, I'll be more than happy with this outcome. I'm not sure if PE will be enough to secure their future and make them consider riskier projects, but supporting PE is the only way to get there to find out. I'm not saying give them hundreds of dollars, but surely you can afford to throw them 25 bucks?

Vault Dweller

Developer
So paradoxically he's optimistic about this game because he thinks a central part of it is already doomed to fail.
I'm optimistic about the game because I think that a central part of it (dialogues and role-playing) will be good because it's one of the (if not main) Obsidian's strengths. That's more than enough for me to be excited about a game.

Also, whether you like it or not, combat IS usually the weakest aspect of good RPGs and we praise the best RPGs despite mediocre combat.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hoped they would be capable of better things with no leash. Apparently not. I'm not gonna support "playing it safe".
No leash and money - good. No leash and no money - worse than a leash. They are playing it safe because it's a smart choice. If it gets them good funding and better sales, and gets us a spiritual successor to PST, I'll be more than happy with this outcome. I'm not sure if PE will be enough to secure their future and make them consider riskier projects, but supporting PE is the only way to get there to find out. I'm not saying give them hundreds of dollars, but surely you can afford to throw them 25 bucks?
This is pretty much where I am, but I want to be excited like I am for Wasteland 2, Dead State, Shadowrun, and Age of Decadence. Instead it's just a big "meh".

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm optimistic about the game because I think that a central part of it (dialogues and role-playing) will be good because it's one of the (if not main) Obsidian's strengths. That's more than enough for me to be excited about a game.

Also, whether you like it or not, combat IS usually the weakest aspect of good RPGs and we praise the best RPGs despite mediocre combat.

Who's this "we" you're talking about? ;)

...ah, forget it, I don't want to turn this into another newschool Codex vs oldschool Codex pissing match. Carry on. :salute:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker Fuck P&P. We are talking about games.

MINOTAURS AREN'T CLICHÉ THEY HAVE ONLY BEEN IN A FEW COMPUTER GAMES

ALSO WHEN WILL WE GET A PC GAME ABOUT VAMPIRES GLISTENING IN THE SUN THAT SHIT HASN'T BEEN DONE YET

:troll:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yes, and all that "more" would have suffered in a generic fantasy setting.
First, I don't see how to. PST's strengths were dialogues, superbly written party members, personal story, philosophical undertones, narrative in dialogues used to great effect, and doing something different, turning cliches around. All of that can be easily done in any fantasy game.

Second, the game already doesn't sound like a generic fantasy. Souls to power up magic, firearms, etc.

Vault Dweller

Developer

...ah, forget it, I don't want to turn this into another newschool Codex vs oldschool Codex pissing match. Carry on. :salute:
Last time I checked, Arcanum was still being praised around here, but I don't recall it being praised for its bloated character system or atrocious, practically broken combat. I don't recall Darklands' combat being particularly good either.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm not saying give them hundreds of dollars, but surely you can afford to throw them 25 bucks?

I can, but I don't believe in "support them in making shit because maybe they'll do something better someday".
In other words: no more free rides. Which some people seem to have forgotten. Wasn't it "let's see what they can do without publishers"? Well, this is what they can do. Not good enough. Now, what, I'm supposed to wait and see what they can do with no publishers and a very relative safe future? I don't think so. If they get safe with shit, they'll continue doing shit.
At least Fargo took some risks. Whether he'll provide, it remains to be seen. But I supported him exactly because he took risks. I don't feel like Obsidian needs me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Last time I checked, Arcanum was still being praised around here

yeah why is that actually

game is pretty shitty

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm not saying give them hundreds of dollars, but surely you can afford to throw them 25 bucks?
In other words: no more free rides.

Yeah, let's just keep having no rides at all. The last 10 years have been glorious.

Push comes to shove, I will play the fuck out of PE because it will almost certainly be much better than nothing.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Forgive me, but why is people assuming that this will be shit already? For the whole cooldown thing?
After all, these are the people who took dying and made it part of the gameplay, etc. Cut them some slack at least until we know what’s actually going to happen?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's shit because it's Obsidian. But Fargo shits gold bricks.

Aren't we forgetting that there is whine every time something new is posted about Wasteland, mr. Fag?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom