Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
As for Obsidian vs inXile, it's proven ability vs good license. inXile *may* have the ability, but we don't know it for sure. We don't know much for sure, thus it's easier to believe the proven ability (with all its flaws) than good intentions.

Sure, I absolutely agree with that. Problem is I don't like what either of the two did. So I'll just go for the one which promises something that sounds good to me. The one that at least tries.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Forgive me, but why is people assuming that this will be shit already? For the whole cooldown thing?

Track record?

VD already mentioned it.

seriously? track record? are you trolling?

Enlighten me as to which Obsidian games had great combat, I seem to be forgetting...

So what you mean to imply is that cooldowns will constitute the totality of combat? Or what? And since when has anyone played black isle’s/obsidian’s games for the combat? I fail to see any justification for this whining. Oh well.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
When? Fargo had nothing but the license. Had he announced that he's making some brand new game, he wouldn't have collected more than 200-300k. So, he played the only card he had left. He played it well and we applaud him, but let's not confuse it with risk-taking.
If nothing else, it's risk-taking because he went for something considered dead or out-dated: turn-based combat. The rest might be just card-playing, but I like his card better. Obsidian's card is just: help us make a game which is slightly better than what we usually do.
You can't play the WL2 card without going TB and party based. It just won't work.

As for Obsidian vs inXile, it's proven ability vs good license. inXile *may* have the ability, but we don't know it for sure. We don't know much for sure, thus it's easier to believe the proven ability (with all its flaws) than good intentions.

How could bethesda play first person shooter real time card and sell millions?
Easy. They didn't pitch it to the fans of the first two games, did they? They pitched it to the media and the media, being whores, ate it and gave it glowing previews and reviews, making retards drool in anticipation.

Fallout3_Thumb_04.jpg

When? Fargo had nothing but the license. Had he announced that he's making some brand new game, he wouldn't have collected more than 200-300k. So, he played the only card he had left. He played it well and we applaud him, but let's not confuse it with risk-taking.
If nothing else, it's risk-taking because he went for something considered dead or out-dated: turn-based combat. The rest might be just card-playing, but I like his card better. Obsidian's card is just: help us make a game which is slightly better than what we usually do.
You can't play the WL2 card without going TB and party based. It just won't work.

How could bethesda play first person shooter real time card and sell millions?
Easy. They didn't pitch it to the fans of the first two games, did they? They pitched it to the media and the media, being whores, ate it and gave it glowing previews and reviews, making retards drool in anticipation.

You think Fargo couldn't pitched it to the media like that if he really wanted to? What made him decide to pitch it to old school fans instead?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Forgive me, but why is people assuming that this will be shit already? For the whole cooldown thing?

Track record?

VD already mentioned it.

seriously? track record? are you trolling?

Enlighten me as to which Obsidian games had great combat, I seem to be forgetting...

So what you mean to imply is that cooldowns will constitute the totality of combat? Or what? And since when has anyone played black isle’s/obsidian’s games for the combat?

I fucking loved BG/IWD combat, and even if you fail to ackknowledge that many do. In fact I find it hard to see how you can play IWD for anything besides the combat, game is basically a dungeoncrawler in a nifty setting.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also see Chaos Chronicles. Going by proven ability we shouldn't even look at them (JA:BIA), but their game sounds better than both W2 and P:E put together. It's quite possible I'm falling for marketing aimed at me, but since we're talking about supporting something I'd rather support a dream of something great than a sure thing of something mediocre.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You think Fargo couldn't pitched it to the media like that if he really wanted to?
Track record. Do you think he was working on shitty games ever since Bard's Tales tanked because he wanted to?

Sure, they could have given him some money to make a third-rate action game, like Hunted, but he knew that he can do more with the licenses and he did and we salute him for that.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
I fucking loved BG/IWD combat, and even if you fail to ackknowledge that many do. In fact I find it hard to see how you can play IWD for anything besides the combat, game is basically a dungeoncrawler in a nifty setting.

Fine, i'll concede that point on IWD, but everything else? IWD was made to be a sort of diabloish hack and slash, but basically everything else is story based, not combat based.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Also see Chaos Chronicles. Going by proven ability we shouldn't even look at them (JA:BIA), but their game sounds better than both W2 and P:E put together.
I meant in the absence of specific details and screenshots. CC does sound good.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also see Chaos Chronicles. Going by proven ability we shouldn't even look at them (JA:BIA), but their game sounds better than both W2 and P:E put together. It's quite possible I'm falling for marketing aimed at me, but since we're talking about supporting something I'd rather support a dream of something great than a sure thing of something mediocre.

Good point, although it doesn't defeat mine (it might defeat Vault Dweller though ;)).

My point was to push for as much of this stuff as we can. "Smed mens jernet er varmt" is a Danish expression meaning something along the lines of "Use the smithy while the iron is hot", i.e. we have a chance for a bunch of RPGs NOW, not TOMORROW, 100$, 20$ for each somewhat promising game, ain't nothing but a fuck.

Good point, although it doesn't defeat mine (it might defeat Vault Dweller though ;)).

My point was to push for as much of this stuff as we can. "Smed mens jernet er varmt" is a Danish expression meaning something along the lines of "Use the smithy while the iron is hot", i.e. we have a chance for a bunch of RPGs NOW, not TOMORROW, 100$, 20$ for each somewhat promising game, ain't nothing but a fuck.

Bro easy for a Denmarkian to say... :lol:

I must consider very carefully where I give my money.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Fine, i'll concede that point on IWD, but everything else? IWD was made to be a sort of diabloish hack and slash, but basically everything else is story based, not combat based.

Baldur's Gate has as much focus on combat, IMO.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, that's clearly a German expression; "Strike while the iron is hot."
:smug:

Edit: The joke is that it's an expression in many indo-european languages.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

Baldur's Gate has as much focus on combat, IMO.

nah. it's based on the story, and then they had to fill the gaps or the game would have lasted 5 hours. So you get generic repetitive locations with generic repetitive monsters to give you something to do. The game could have done with a fraction of the wilderness, the cities and BG itself really.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Bro easy for a Denmarkian to say... :lol:

A Denmarkian academic student who barely has enough for rent, mind you ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
nah. it's based on the story, and then they had to fill the gaps or the game would have lasted 5 hours. So you get generic repetitive locations with generic repetitive monsters to give you something to do. The game could have done with a fraction of the wilderness, the cities and BG itself really.

Your opinion, and I sure as hell don't share it.

Baldur's Gate has, relatively, less focus on combat than IWD.

Missing the point. IWD has more combat-focus obviously, but I meant "Baldur's Gate has as much focus on combat as on story." :)

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Your opinion

Nope, check the in-game map.

Yes, it has lots of lovely locations to explore. Your point?

That it's always the same location over and over, with a group of bandits or hobgoblins or xvarts or gibberlings, and then you find a cave/a house/something and loot it, and it contributes nothing to the game itself, it's just repetitive stuff to give you something to do or the game would be over in a way too short time. BG's point was the story of the bhaalspawn, not the ultimate gibberling hunt.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Your opinion

Nope, check the in-game map.

Yes, it has lots of lovely locations to explore. Your point?

That it's always the same location over and over, with a group of bandits or hobgoblins or xvarts or gibberlings, and then you find a cave/a house/something and loot it, and it contributes nothing to the game itself, it's just repetitive stuff to give you something to do or the game would be over in a way too short time.

Except their are plenty of named monsters, interesting encounters, and some great loot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom