Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He was referring to art. He bought a lot of art from Icewind Dale in particular.

I doubt it's TORN since that was some Dragon Age-esque shit and I'm hoping they're going to be a little more creative than that. I don't recall anything Scottish about it from what we saw either.
Do you have a link to that post, by any chance? I don't remember which thread it was in and my search-fu is failing me today.
http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/98583-e3-2010-feargus-urquhart/page-4.html
GB: Speaking of which, you guys bought a lot of the Icewind Dale assets didn’t you?

Feargus: Yes.

Something tells me that whatever this turns out to be, the rampant speculation and analysis across multiple forums during this initial rush of excitement will yield more enjoyment than the actual finished product (if only due to how jaded we have become).

Still, with all the recent announcements of promising games, the next couple years will see me making purchases I will actually expect to enjoy, instead of my usual sacrifice of moneys at the altar of disappointment and self-loathing.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Wouldn't using TORN mean they have to pay monies to that french wanker?
Any actual assets from TORN are probably too outdated to be used after so many years, and some minor tweaks to the story will avoid any infringement there.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Well obviously they'd have to do everything from scratch, I meant the name, setting and so on.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
torn, tbh, ps:t... i don't think that they will simply bring back those long lost trademarks. what they have in common is the strong focus on story and the forever repeating cycle, be it life and death, revenge or another binding promise. somehow they're all interwoven and can be reused within a newly created universe. avellone once said that his idea for a kickstarter would be spirital successor to ps:t after finishing wasteland 2. he also said that there are lots of ideas, even much better ones than his own, been kicked around at the office. we know that they were pitching around an idea about a universe of their own which never saw the day of light. perhaps it was too obscure or too old fashioned or whatever the reason was. we also know that anthony davis should know what their announcment is about. this leads to the conclusion that it has to be something obsidian handled in the recent past. i don't think that they bear the idea of reviving torn through all those years since 2001.

as avellone is busy with w2 and sawyer loves to create plausible structures and settings, hence is blog entry about the black hound with background details, i think that he's the shepherding figure behind project x. sawyer has a strong connection to tbh and even tried to recreate the main plot as a mod in his spare time. now let's connect gamebanshee-buck to the story. as square enix approached them to do a rpg to enter the western market they hold two potentially interesting licenses -> dungeon siege and fullmetal alchemist. perhaps in one of those past interviews, before ds3 was revealed, he guessed that they're doing something with the alchemist setting? or he entered sawyers dream through a dream within a dream to plant the idea there?! :P

sawyer then did his research as a degree holder in history and found the works of thomas browne. the whole setting of the neverending cycle fits right into obsidian's storytelling and on top connected to an ancient pantheon. one thing leads to the other and he spiced up his own world with all the mysterious stuff: a fantasy setting based on alchemy and the eternal circle.

kris

Arcane
I am Torn about this. And not because I had a fallout with my Master. I went on a walk with my black hound, we passed the southern park and came to the icy and windy dale past it. I looked up at the stars and was reminded of all wars. It didn't feel like Torment. When I came home I read a Bards tale from some Elder scrolls, I felt of age, it was after all the year of the dragon. What is this game? I feel like being locked in a Dungeon, what is the protocol to get me out? Beta? Alpha?

kaizoku

Arcane
What do the words mean?
Nothing.

Digging for truth buries the seeker.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I was already considering the possibility of all of the hints being just a big mindfuck.

that would be the most hilarious outcome. did such a prank ever happen in gaming history?
what a glorious shitstorm :D

I was already considering the possibility of all of the hints being just a big mindfuck.

that would be the most hilarious outcome. did such a prank ever happen in gaming history?
what a glorious shitstorm :D

I can't recall any precedent for it occurring, but I'd lol if there wasn't even a new game to announce and the page just went silent.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I feel like the web-page should 404 on the reveal date, but it's a fake 404 where you can type in a password or something if you're perceptive.
It'd be funny because Obsidian.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I feel like the web-page should 404 on the reveal date, but it's a fake 404 where you can type in a password or something if you're perceptive.
It'd be funny because Obsidian.

You'll get a 503, because of the server overload.

Sleepwalker

Novice
Kind of glad it isn't going to be "the Black Hound". I'm sure the story and setting is good, but it's such an awfully bland name. I know I might take flak for that one, but a game does sell pretty hard on its name. It's by no means the most important part, but like boxart, it's the first, if only, thing consumers see of the game.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
They'll call it The Black Bitch. Because the dog will be female.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kind of glad it isn't going to be "the Black Hound". I'm sure the story and setting is good, but it's such an awfully bland name. I know I might take flak for that one, but a game does sell pretty hard on its name. It's by no means the most important part, but like boxart, it's the first, if only, thing consumers see of the game.
It's no worse than "Dragon Age"

It's no worse than "Dragon Age"

Or "Elder Scrolls".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom