Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
So, if I understand this right....

It's going to be The Black Hound (without the D&D license)?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm all excited as you can see, but don't you think that lots of people will be dissapointed when all this mistery comes down to a "give us money to make a game" plea?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, in that case this won't be the Torment spiritual successor since Avellone said they won't be doing that.

Unless he didn't want to divulge it at that time so they can do their little puzzle game...

Well...those PST interview questions happening just before this would make sense from a hype/marketing standpoint, but the fact Anthony Davis said he had been throwing guesses at Obsidian and wasn't getting it has me doubtful. I mean, wouldn't "PST2/PSTsequel/prequel/spiritualsuccessor" be one of the first guesses you'd make? 'Course they could just be stringing him along like everybody else if he did indeed guess that. Much as I'd love for that to be the case I'm highly doubtful.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I for one will be glad for the chance to give yet another 100$ towards the Age of Incline.

Bro, we are the codex. There is no "Age of Incline". As much as we are excited for it... we'll hate on them soon enough.

kris

Arcane
There is a line left to E, so there are more letters there. If that line is another E, then the second word might be Keep. The forth one is probably The.

and that line seems like a "L"

although there are few words if that is the case. In fact I only come up with "elp" words instead of "lep" ones.

Outerspace seems more close to what it could be.

Master?
Caster
Washer! :D

xilo3z

Educated
Well...those PST interview questions happening just before this would make sense from a hype/marketing standpoint, but the fact Anthony Davis said he had been throwing guesses at Obsidian and wasn't getting it has me doubtful. I mean, wouldn't "PST2/PSTsequel/prequel/spiritualsuccessor" be one of the first guesses you'd make? 'Course they could just be stringing him along like everybody else if he did indeed guess that. Much as I'd love for that to be the case I'm highly doubtful.

Reread what Mr. Davis-san-chan was saying -> "They were having some fun with all my guesses". They weren't saying no. Just stringing him along and having fun with him is how I took it. I have a feeling Obsidian knows how "big" this could be so they are all shits and giggles and having fun with it.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I'm all excited as you can see, but don't you think that lots of people will be dissapointed when all this mistery comes down to a "give us money to make a game" plea?

Most Codexers will be too busy cumming and looking for their credits cards to notice

I know I will:oops:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Your kind must learn it comes from straining against the turning of the world. It spins thus. You cannot stop it. One day, you will wake up. You will stop pulling. The pain will be gone. Until then, all your waking hours are suffering.

all i see is that this is directed towards the codex... until we accept the :decline: there's nothing but suffering. better be warned :pete:

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
FUCK NO!

NOT A SHITTY 1910 KICKSTARTER GAME
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Unless they get like 10 million so they can actually have a next gen game or w/e Kickstarter will end up with us getting some ugly text based rpg

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
crying-indian.gif

Th Black Hound...

Semper

Cipher
btw as i was browsing through the web searching for the symbol of ouroboros i noticed that the snake/dragon/whatever always bit his tail counterclockwise (head > tail). only one symbol was clockwise... alchemists use it as a powerful sigil.
remember the blasted crater anyone? there's also a letter from thomas brown with the following words:

[...] that the first day should make the last, that the Tail of the Snake should return into its Mouth precisely at that time, and they should wind up upon the day of their Nativity, is indeed a remarkable Coincidence
remember the cryptic sign? <!--. X . X X I T X --> transforms into <!--NATIVITY -->

but that was not everything... the best thing is about to be revealed:

his most famous book is the "garden of cyrus", a book that
has been omitted from many nineteenth and twentieth century editions
. could it be the unwritten book which was never read? btw this book is about
the interconnection of art, nature and the Universe via numerous symbols, primarily the number five, and the quincunx pattern and number five along with variants, including the figure X and Network or lattice design.

oh yeah, project x! number 5 as in 5 days of the week... fuckin' countdown, it all makes sense now. the quincunx pattern is connected to ireland which would explain the gaelic names.

all just coincidence? :martini:

now gimme the cookie, goddammit!

Sleepwalker

Novice
I thin
btw as i was browsing through the web searching for the symbol of ouroboros i noticed that the snake/dragon/whatever always bit his tail counterclockwise (head > tail). only one symbol was clockwise... alchemists use it as a powerful sigil.
remember the blasted crater anyone? there's also a letter from thomas brown with the following words:

[...] that the first day should make the last, that the Tail of the Snake should return into its Mouth precisely at that time, and they should wind up upon the day of their Nativity, is indeed a remarkable Coincidence
remember the cryptic sign? <!--. X . X X I T X --> transforms into <!--NATIVITY -->

the interconnection of art, nature and the Universe via numerous symbols, primarily the number five, and the quincunx pattern and number five along with variants, including the figure X and Network or lattice design.

oh yeah, project x! number 5 as in 5 days of the week... fuckin' countdown, it all makes sense now. the quincunx pattern is connected to ireland which would explain the gaelic names.

I think you may have something there, m'lad. I certainly hope that's the case. A game with that basis would be my cup of tea right now. I mean come on, a metaphysical symbol obsessed outlook on creation from a suppressed and unread book of forbidden lore? Yeh gat me.

"Not unlikeLewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, or the science fiction of H. G. Wells,'The Garden of Cyrus' invites the reader to share with its author in a fantastic perspective upon life and reality."

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kickstarted The Black Hound with Sawyer as lead, Avellone on additional writing, turn based, skill based progression (no classes), overland map, CnC out the ass. This is what I want. The unrealized potential of the Black Hound has been crawling around in the back of my mind for almost 10 years now. Nigga I'mma have to don my May Farrow avatar again if this is the Black Hound.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Semper's findings have forced me to revise my prediction to instead of a generic DnD setting, there'll be a New Weird sort of setting. The supporters of Obsidian will call this unique and cool. The dissenters will call it derp and dig for gaps in setting logic. This new prediction only has a chance of being correct if Semper is right.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Here is the alchemist sign you were talking about.

ouroboros.jpg
Well you can see the similarity with the Obsidian one if you really want it.

Semper

Cipher
the quincunx pattern is connected to ireland which would explain the gaelic names.

to fuel the speculation i found an interesting article about the gaelic pantheon, including the mother of gods and the father of the gael. danu, the goddes of river and lands (In time, waves washing against the fingers of Geiran's Grasp will call them back into the sea.) gave life to 3 children later called the three gods of danann (divine champions?). her husband was the god beli and ancestor of the sons of mil (the gaelic people) who wrestled ireland from the gods of danann (Two centuries ago, your divine champion told the people of Dyrwood to grovel at his feet. If you've come on pilgrimage to the blasted crater that was our reply).

however beli is
thought to represent a Lord of the Animals. Serpents and coins are widely used cthonic* symbols, as well as symbols of fertility and prosperity. It should be pointed out that He also holds a torque, s symbol of nobility (<!--. X . X X I T X -->). The Lord of the Animals is by association both the God of the hunter as well as the God of the hunted; in other words, a God of Life as well as Death (Ouroboros). Bile/s role in transporting the souls of the dead Celts to the Otherworld takes on another significance. Transportation is usually via waters, rivers like the Thames, or out to sea. He is, in fact, transporting them to the 'divine waters' - his consort Danu, 'the mother goddess'.

to close the circle serpent there even was a king of britain who ruled just before the roman invasion of AD 43 - Cunobelinus. The name means 'Hound of Beli(nus).'

death, guilt, hunted souls, hounds... does this sound familiar or am i suffering from too much coffee? :D

Doesn't work as . are vowels and X consonants.

we will see what tomorrow brings.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Here is the alchemist sign you were talking about.

ouroboros.jpg
Well you can see the similarity with the Obsidian one if you really want it.

So Project X is a Full metal alchemist RPG ? :eek:
If it's going to be a JRPG with Ouroboros i'd rather have Noein, thank you very much.

Oh, and "<!--. X . X X I T X --> transforms into <!--NATIVITY -->"
Doesn't work as . are vowels and X consonants.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, if I understand this right....

It's going to be The Black Hound (without the D&D license)?
Seems doubtful to me now. Something new with a lot of Scottish influence.

And yet, we've been told this game will be a particular "crowd-pleaser". Why would that be if it was something entirely new, hmm?
Cause it's PC exclusive old school and (probably) Kickstarter-funded. Now that it looks like the code is Eternity, any links to TBH seem tenuous at best to me.

Semper

Cipher
Your kind must learn it comes from straining against the turning of the world. It spins thus. You cannot stop it. One day, you will wake up. You will stop pulling. The pain will be gone. Until then, all your waking hours are suffering

putting the pieces together that sounds like a lost soul couldn't accept its fade bracing against the ever spinning wheel of death and life (spindle of esenath), only suffering from pain while slowly being eaten by anger. to breake the serpent's circle the long lost power of the unwritten book is needed. epic adventure within the dark ages :pete:

i should stop now...

one last thing: before garden of cyrus thomas browne wrote urn burial, a 5 chapter book about man's struggle with mortality and the uncertainty of his fate and fame in this world and the next. there's also something about

What Song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzzling Questions are not beyond all conjecture.

which correlates to The Dirge of Eír Glanfath is sound without form, a lone voice crying out in mourning because it must.

and lastly obsidian teased something about: Its power is in its mystery. That is the Leaden Key, in part, in whole.

lead is the most famous element in alchemy. we all know about the story of the formula to transform lead into gold.

imo we're talking about a dark age gaelic setting and alchemy to replace magic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom