Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Also, you actually need to rest a bit after using per-encounter powers. There are different types of rest - 5 minute one replenishes per-encounter powers, while you can rest 1 time per 24 hours for 6 hours to regain all powers - both encounter and daily. So that Sawyers 45 cooldown after combat is a lot like that.

Yeah my best GUESS is either:

Mage level 5 can cast Fireball 1 X, Magic Missile 3x, Hold Monster 1x PER ENCOUNTER. (This would be shit).

Mage level 5 can cast Fireball 1 X , Magic Missile 3x, Hold Monster 1x Per DAY. (This would be....somewhat OK, I still don't like it).

And there would be no spell memorization mechanic. You will have all access to spells.

That's the only thing I can guess thus far, but then he threw that curveball about healing. Fucking Josh!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jaesun But he's also planning something with customizable "spell suites", which would be a replacement for memorization I imagine.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun But he's also planning something with customizable "spell suites", which would be a replacement for memorization I imagine.

Yeah he mentioned that too. THAT could be a good thing.

You don't think he'll mix and mash stuff together?

Yeah a mix might work well too. He will obviously have to change it enough so it doesn't EXACTLY copy D&D 4ed.

almondblight

Arcane
Mage level 5 can cast Fireball 1 X, Magic Missile 3x, Hold Monster 1x PER ENCOUNTER. (This would be shit).

Not sure about that. I mean, it'd screw up the immersion a bit, but it seems like most of the best and most interesting combat encounters that people talk about in BG2, for example, are ones that are mostly attempted with the party fully-rested and spells full. The advantage would be that you could design each encounter assuming the player is going in with a full range of abilities, and expecting the player to try to use whatever they can. Not saying that Obsidian would pull this off, but I don't think spells (or health) resetting per encounter is bad design per se.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Also, you actually need to rest a bit after using per-encounter powers. There are different types of rest - 5 minute one replenishes per-encounter powers, while you can rest 1 time per 24 hours for 6 hours to regain all powers - both encounter and daily. So that Sawyers 45 cooldown after combat is a lot like that.

Mage level 5 can cast Fireball 1 X , Magic Missile 3x, Hold Monster 1x Per DAY. (This would be....somewhat OK, I still don't like it).

And there would be no spell memorization mechanic. You will have all access to spells.

That's the only thing I can guess thus far, but then he threw that curveball about healing. Fucking Josh!
I doubt it. There'll still be resting in the game according to Sawyer. I think he'll combine mechanics together. Max amount of spells being able to cast, cooldowns between battles based on level and spell memorisation. Much will depend on the encounter design for this system to be effective and not bsb.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Not sure about that. I mean, it'd screw up the immersion a bit, but it seems like most of the best and most interesting combat encounters that people talk about in BG2, for example, are ones that are mostly attempted with the party fully-rested and spells full. The advantage would be that you could design each encounter assuming the player is going in with a full range of abilities, and expecting the player to try to use whatever they can.

Oh I agree completely. But having FULL access for EVERY encounter? That would be fucking retarded. There is no tension, tactics or or that unique thrill for each encounter.

Not saying that Obsidian would pull this off, but I don't think spells (or health) resetting per encounter is bad design per se.

No it is not. But I think Josh is alluding to NOT using rest as a mechanic. You will still rest, but the mechanics of it will be something different.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know how you get the strength to reason with the animals on the Obsidian boards. The worst is arguing with people that are wrong and believe they are right with a zeal that could shake the heavens.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I don't know how you get the strength to reason with the animals on the Obsidian boards. The worst is arguing with people that are wrong and believe they are right with a zeal that could shake the heavens.

Welcome to Life: Planet Earth Edition.

Shadenuat

Arcane
My main grudge against magic system like that is that it's very gamy. This is not a system which draws it's mechanic from the setting. It's a system which draws mechanic from idea of "balance", that classes have to be "balanced", encounters have to be "balanced", everything has to be "balanced". Call me an immersion fag, but when your main focus is to balance all classes to complement in combat (and Sawyer said he wants that), you will never end up having a frail magician who starts as a punching bag, but, after a lot of time pursuing arcane knowledge, can split a stone castle apart (and suffer the consequences if tapping too deep into force which allows him to do that).

"You use power of your soul to summon a daily power of fireball"... so retarded.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

It's the general Public hon. What are you expecting. :)

Horrible creatures. Avoid them when ever I can.

almondblight

Arcane
Oh I agree completely. But having FULL access for EVERY encounter? That would be fucking retarded. There is no tension, tactics or or that unique thrill for each encounter.

Well, you'd definitely need to beef up each encounter, or better yet handcraft each, to make the combat interesting. If you don't then you'll just mow through hordes of trash enemies, but then again, if they're trash enemies you'll be mowing through them anyway. One of the best uses of cloudkill for me in BG2 was as a time saver against hordes of trash mobs that weren't a threat, but that I'd have to waste more time killing if I had to use all six characters (you felt like an exterminator for a large part of the BG saga). For 90% of the encounters, not having access to spells was more a hassle than anything else. The only time I remember in the BG saga where I had to conserve resources was the final fight of ToB, and I probably liked that fight less than a lot of the other challenging ones.

Arkadin

Arcane
My main grudge against magic system like that is that it's very gamy. This is not a system which draws it's mechanic from the setting. It's a system which draws mechanic from idea of "balance", that classes have to be "balanced", encounters have to be "balanced", everything has to be "balanced".

Yep. I really like Josh, but what frustrates me is that so many of the ideas he discusses to "improve" RPG mechanics are in line with this. I ended up finding a lot of stuff he did in New Vegas (particularly with his mod) decent enough, but then you have things like making energy weapons common and viable for the whole game, which for me just made the weapon skills less interesting, and less fitting for the setting--starting out with a laser pistol is just not sensible. Sometimes not knowing things--creating "inefficient" builds--is part of the fun of playing a game. He only sees it as punishment, though, not as an opportunity for discovery.

MCA

Official interview says not only do they plan on implementing level scaling but also that level scaling is necessary to keep the game non-linear and challenging.

Individual answer not as a part of an official position: wasn't planning on using it.

Yeah, I think I'll believe the latter since I totally got my priorities right.

Don't be an idiot.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Official interview says not only do they plan on implementing level scaling but also that level scaling is necessary to keep non-linear challenge.
Individual answer: wasn't planning on using it.

Yeah, I think I'll believe the latter since I totally got my priorities right.

Don't be an idiot.

Individual answer of the lead fucking designer versus interview with a clueless suit.

But okay, suit yourself.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It's vots bro, there's always a fine line with him between being a retard and trolling.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/377894227364830852

photo_default_130.jpg
People are afraid that your game will be pushing an agenda. Don't you think it is better to leave that stuff grey and let the player decide?

JESawyer 20m
People seem to be afraid of a lot of things that don't appear to have any rational foundation in the things I've previously done or said.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think Josh Sawyer might be autistic and his special interest is balance in video game mechanics. His laconic style of writing is indisputable proof that I am right in this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom