Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Murk

Arcane
Merin from Obsidian Forum said:
Uhm, and for the last part - I haven't. Magic (and magic items) have always been an after thought for me in D&D. I tend to play melee characters myself, and even when I make the whole party (a la IWD), I'm first deciding on an interesting party dynamic of personalities, then I'm deciding on what will best support my lead character (who was inevitably a paladin or a bard for the high charisma.)

My focus on magic items and magic spells was never "what will win this battle," it was "what would these character choose to memorize" and maybe, for the more tactically inclined leaders, "what would the party leader suggest they have to ensure party survivability."

Magic and spells were part of the background for me. I was used to D&D rules and understood them, so I didn't have a problem with them, per se, except, you know, the stuff my role-playing group would house rule. Like, well, Vancian magic.

... god has abandoned this world.

MCA

Official interview says not only do they plan on implementing level scaling but also that level scaling is necessary to keep non-linear challenge.
Individual answer: wasn't planning on using it.

Yeah, I think I'll believe the latter since I totally got my priorities right.

Don't be an idiot.

Individual answer of the lead fucking designer versus interview with a clueless suit.

But okay, suit yourself.

It's Feargus vs. Sawyer. I would definltely agree that Feargus is a clueless suit but then again, he's the CEO, no?

At any rate, it will be entertaining when I'll be proven right, again, and you will eat your words: smug:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Official interview says not only do they plan on implementing level scaling but also that level scaling is necessary to keep non-linear challenge.
Individual answer: wasn't planning on using it.

Yeah, I think I'll believe the latter since I totally got my priorities right.

Don't be an idiot.

Individual answer of the lead fucking designer versus interview with a clueless suit.

But okay, suit yourself.

It's Feargus vs. Sawyer. I would definltely agree that Feargus is a clueless suit but then again, he's the CEO, no?

At any rate, it will be entertaining when I'll be proven right, again, and you will eat your words: smug:
Business lesson 101: It is not a CEO's duty to decide about individual game elements. That's what designers are for.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
If you actually read them, you see that they agree. It might be "necessary" to maintain the difficulty-level of the main quest, so a bit of level scaling might be used, says Sawyer on his Formspring. But it wouldn't be necessary to use scaling anywhere else. Le fin.

Anyway, what is it about LARPers you guys dislke? Do you dislike roleplaying?

Is the cool attitude to have on the forum these days that CRPGs are fun because they have levels and experience points, but any sort of actual RP mentality is dorkly and uncool?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Merin from Obsidian Forum said:
Uhm, and for the last part - I haven't. Magic (and magic items) have always been an after thought for me in D&D. I tend to play melee characters myself, and even when I make the whole party (a la IWD), I'm first deciding on an interesting party dynamic of personalities, then I'm deciding on what will best support my lead character (who was inevitably a paladin or a bard for the high charisma.)

My focus on magic items and magic spells was never "what will win this battle," it was "what would these character choose to memorize" and maybe, for the more tactically inclined leaders, "what would the party leader suggest they have to ensure party survivability."

Magic and spells were part of the background for me. I was used to D&D rules and understood them, so I didn't have a problem with them, per se, except, you know, the stuff my role-playing group would house rule. Like, well, Vancian magic.

... god has abandoned this world.

:lol: I bet he loved going through games with his mundane long sword and buckler.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If you actually read them, you see that they agree. It might be "necessary" to maintain the difficulty-level of the main quest, so a bit of level scaling might be used, says Sawyer on his Formspring. But it wouldn't be necessary to use scaling anywhere else. Le fin.

Is the cool attitude to have on the forum these days that CRPGs are fun because they have levels and experience points, but any sort of actual RP mentality is dorkly and uncool?

Larpers in this case are for example Bethtards who steals guard uniform in Skyrim, "patrols" the walls and "roleplays" that he's one of the guards.

Shannow

Waster of Time

:3/5:

DraQ

Arcane
You have health in every game. GENERIC!

You can die in every game! GENERIC!

You have to press a bottun in every game! GENERIC!
dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61000-critical-hits-misses-and-additional-effects/
Critical hits and misses diminish the importance of the players tactics and skill and increases the reliance on simple luck and I think that's a bad thing.

I don't want to get wiped out because a monster got a lucky shot in and blinded my fighter, forcing me to reload an old save, and then come back with the exact same tactics to win the battle. Or conversely, setting up a brilliant tactic only for it not to matter because I got a lucky critical that stunned my opponent, trivializing the whole encounter.

Er... was that sarcasm too?

wormix

Augur

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60905-stick-to-your-guns-devs/page__st__80#entry1221973
It does have to do with sexual repression, most minorities are sexual repressed, because they are minorities, not many people want to have sex with them. This is one of the reasons, IMO for all this parades and fights for rights, they don't like that there aren't many people with the same sexual desires as them.
Wat?
:what:

Edit: oh god that entire quote tree is insane.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It does have to do with sexual repression, most minorities are sexual repressed, because they are minorities, not many people want to have sex with them.

It's like a Confusion spell. I just failed my Will check and lost all actions, and just stare at the screen trying to understand what just happened.

Duraframe300

Arcane
http://www.xp4t.com/2012/10/03/project-eternity/

XP4T:How has the Kickstarter experience influenced the direction of the game so far?
JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

XP4T: Souls as the source of magic, and energy. Is it far out to imagine pits of humans thrown together in order to harvest their energy for dark purposes?
Josh Sawyer: No, it isn’t too far out! That’s actually something we like about the soul concept. It lends itself to interesting ideas of how societies might function based on the reality of souls being a source of power. One idea we’ve discussed is the idea of a culture where those in power control the economic environment of the populace to such an extent that people literally sell their souls (in a fashion) to free themselves or their families from crippling debt.

XP4T: 1.5 million is certainly no small amount of money, how does it feel to get THAT much backing?
Josh Sawyer: It’s fantastic. We’re really excited to see where the funding winds up, but we’re confident we can make something awesome with the backing we’ve received so far. The response from the community has been amazing.
Kickstarter makes things very personal with future players, how do you deal with the requests and feedback and demands? Do you feel obliged to follow them?
We try to read as much feedback in as many different places as possible, on the Obsidian forums as well as places like RPG Codex, NeoGAF, Something Awful, Penny Arcade, and others. There’s a broad spectrum of responses, but I think we’ve been doing this long enough to know how to sort a signal out of the noise. There will always be outliers, people who want really specific things that fall outside of the scope and focus of the project. In those cases, the best thing we can do is politely let them know that we’re going in a different direction.
For the people who are talking about things that can go one way or another and do fall within the scope of what we’re doing, we try to think about the pros and cons of what they’re talking about. Often, we’re already doing something in line with what they’re thinking. In other cases, we can give the person the feeling that’s behind what they’re saying without actually doing what they’re saying.
As developers, we need to put effort into interpreting a variety of desires and opinions and synthesizing the best solution for the game. That best solution is only rarely a “somewhere in the middle” answer to the debate, but we do try to take in the full spectrum of feedback.

Cynic

Arcane
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61000-critical-hits-misses-and-additional-effects/
Critical hits and misses diminish the importance of the players tactics and skill and increases the reliance on simple luck and I think that's a bad thing.

I don't want to get wiped out because a monster got a lucky shot in and blinded my fighter, forcing me to reload an old save, and then come back with the exact same tactics to win the battle. Or conversely, setting up a brilliant tactic only for it not to matter because I got a lucky critical that stunned my opponent, trivializing the whole encounter.

Er... was that sarcasm too?

The dumbfuckery of these people is unbelievable. Are they all BSN refugees?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom