Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

pocahaunted

Arcane
Who cares, it's not like the common Russian (those who consider localization a deal breaker) pays for his gaming needs.

Pfft.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Still lots of people with tunnel vision itt :lol:

"Bawwwwwww bring back resting"
"But there is resting."
"Bawwwwwww I'm going to have a knee-jerk reaction to this other extremely vague idea you have that might turn out well after proper prototyping/playtesting"
Way to miss the point Roguey. We don't want resting; we want an intelligent mechanic for managing magic. Cooldowns are less intelligent than resting. If someone comes up with a better system, we'd be happy to jump on that.
I disagree with the claim "cooldowns are less intelligent than clicking a button to get your spells back." I think something similar to "you cast this spell and you may not get it back until another 2 or 3 fights but you won't actually have to hit a button to do so" might work out fine (especially for balancing encounters). Of course he has to figure out a good way to discourage waiting but that's his prob. :cool:
"RPG Codex" is arguing against "player's experience" in favor of their "expectation" so no, they aren't. :) Sawyer's already deadset on trying the spells-recharge-between-battles-via-cooldown idea, and if it doesn't make it in it'll be because it sucked, not because several dozen people told him they hate cooldowns.
No we are arguing for player experience. Cooldowns are so rarely fun or interesting it might as well be never.
Neither is resting to get your spells back every fight (or every other fight). :smug:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh, right. Like we need 1C to ruin the game for us specifical--

Wait, is that... ranger-girl in furs?
Sec, I need to get my credit card--

...anyone knows if she's romanceable?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Still lots of people with tunnel vision itt :lol:

"Bawwwwwww bring back resting"
"But there is resting."
"Bawwwwwww I'm going to have a knee-jerk reaction to this other extremely vague idea you have that might turn out well after proper prototyping/playtesting"
Way to miss the point Roguey. We don't want resting; we want an intelligent mechanic for managing magic. Cooldowns are less intelligent than resting. If someone comes up with a better system, we'd be happy to jump on that.
I disagree with the claim "cooldowns are less intelligent than clicking a button to get your spells back." I think something similar to "you cast this spell and you may not get it back until another 2 or 3 fights but you won't actually have to hit a button to do so" might work out fine. Of course he has to figure out a good way to discourage waiting but that's his prob. :cool:
"RPG Codex" is arguing against "player's experience" in favor of their "expectation" so no, they aren't. :) Sawyer's already deadset on trying the spells-recharge-between-battles-via-cooldown idea, and if it doesn't make it in it'll be because it sucked, not because several dozen people told him they hate cooldowns.
No we are arguing for player experience. Cooldowns are so rarely fun or interesting it might as well be never.
Neither is resting to get your spells back every fight (or every other fight). :smug:
Ok, but taking a shit mechanic and replacing it with another shit mechanic doesn't get us anywhere.

At least resting makes some kind of sense in the universe.

Edit: some games have had interesting rest mechanics, the number of RPGs with good cooldown mechanics can be counted on zero fingers.

Captain Shrek

To be honest I am bit relieved and a bit disappointed. So I am about to commit some sacrilege and some Blasphemy. When I joined this place I always thought that Cain and Sawyer were really the creative kind, that took dangerous and novel steps to make games. I thought that the only reason they could not make something as great as Fallout again (Cain) because they were not having the resources to do so. Now that they have the money they keep regurgitating the same DnD crap all over.

The setting, the classes are so generic that I can't see why I am buying this game if not for MCA's writing. I am now very cautious about the mechanics too. It seems that Sawyer was potentially considering crippling the challenge in the game for the casual ADHD audience so that they would attract the audience of COD. Now where have I heard that before?

I am relieved too.

Since these guys have fallen from their high stations in my regard I dare not trust them doing something innovative. They probably neither have the guts or the talent to see it through. I am happy that I will get another IE like game (hopefully). At least I know that Obsidian can reproduce stuff quite well and MCA is always there to rescue it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ok, but taking a shit mechanic and replacing it with another shit mechanic doesn't get us anywhere.

At least resting makes some kind of sense in the universe.

Edit: some games have had interesting rest mechanics, the number of RPGs with good cooldown mechanics can be counted on zero fingers.
Your argument has nothing of substance, just a knee-jerk reaction. :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To be honest I am bit relieved and a bit disappointed. So I am about to commit some sacrilege and some Blasphemy. When I joined this place I always thought that Cain and Sawyer were really the creative kind, that took dangerous and novel steps to make games. I thought that the only reason they could not make something as great as Fallout again (Cain) because they were not having the resources to do so. Now that they have the money they keep regurgitating the same DnD crap all over.

The setting, the classes are so generic that I can't see why I am buying this game if not for MCA's writing. I am now very cautious about the mechanics too. It seems that Sawyer was potentially considering crippling the challenge in the game for the casual ADHD audience so that they would attract the audience of COD. Now where have I heard that before?

I am relieved too.

Since these guys have fallen from their high stations in my regard I dare not trust them doing something innovative. They probably neither have the guts or the talent to see it through. I am happy that I will get another IE like game (hopefully). At least I know that Obsidian can reproduce stuff quite well and MCA is always there to rescue it.

Dare I repost this:

Avellone, Sawyer and Cain might produce something way better than we've seen in a long time, but they've still fallen victim to Sick Boy's Unifying Theory of Life, the way I see it, and I think PE will reflect that.

My opinion is, however, that considering the alternative, an okay cool project from a couple of guys who were once the titans of the genre is the best thing we're like to get.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm not sure why Fallout was ever considered all that super-creative. It was a Mad Max RPG, FFS. Plus, Wasteland did it first anyway.

As for Sawyer, he's a game mechanics nerd first and foremost, not an artist or a visionary.

Captain Shrek

I'm not sure why Fallout was ever considered all that super-creative. It was a Mad Max RPG, FFS. Plus, Wasteland did it first anyway.

As for Sawyer, he's a game mechanics nerd first and foremost, not an artist.
Fallout was great and there is no denying it.

The combination of good writing, mechanics and design made it more than what Wasteland was. And wasteland was a GREAT game by itself.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

As for Sawyer, he's a game mechanics nerd first and foremost, not an artist or a visionary.
You have to look it in the context of CRPGs, anything that isn't elves and dragons is an explosion of creativity in this genre

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot

As for Sawyer, he's a game mechanics nerd first and foremost, not an artist.
Fallout was great and there is no denying it.

The combination of good writing, mechanics and design made it more than what Wasteland was. And wasteland was a GREAT game by itself.
Fallout had a LOT of shit writing, it had awkward mechanics that imbalanced the game in various places and included lots of trivial skills, and the combat started out good for what it was (low-participant turn-based luckfest), but quickly degraded into sometime much more lame (shoot for the eyes at close range or suffer through a 2-hp-a-shot slugfest, your pick).

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Also, I think the souls thing is awesome. They have been given money to make a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, essentially. They are doing it in an awesome way.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

It has it's own home made character system.

The retro-futuristic themes were most definitely not Mad Max inspired.

It also had a bunch of Canticle For Leibowitz inspiration.

I would say it's about as creative as anything I've seen. Maybe your standard for creativity is too high? Just remember nothing is new, and we all stand on the shoulders of giants.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You have to look it in the context of CRPGs, anything that isn't elves and dragons is an explosion of creativity in this genre

:lol:

It's funny 'cause it's true, at least for the oldschool variety RPG.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot

It has it's own home made character system.

The retro-futuristic themes were most definitely not Mad Max inspired.

It also had a bunch of Canticle For Leibowitz inspiration.

I would say it's about as creative as anything I've seen. Maybe your standard for creativity is too high? Just remember nothing is new, and we all stand on the shoulders of giants.
Umm, you know that the SPECIAL system was a copy of the GURPS pnp system, right?

tuluse

Arcane
Fallout had a LOT of shit writing, it had awkward mechanics that imbalanced the game in various places and included lots of trivial skills, and the combat started out good for what it was (low-participant turn-based luckfest), but quickly degraded into sometime much more lame (shoot for the eyes at close range or suffer through a 2-hp-a-shot slugfest, your pick).
And it's still the best :M

lol, "cooldowns hurt my immersion!!" is a new one for me :D
They're shit and they don't make sense. Rest is just shit. I'll take shit that makes sense over nonsensical shit any day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom