Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Captain Shrek

All I'm saying is, if you want to make the case that Tim Cain is a titan of "creativity", then Arcanum is probably a better example to hold up than Fallout.
No. Not random, but workable and enjoyable.

What do you know about Eternity that let's you say it isn't?

To start with the same class system and the same old races. I don't want another Arcanum please.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cipher is interesting.

Adventurer's Hall probably won't appease the people who want to create an entire party out of the gate, I feel they will still complain. Still, better than nothing right?

Eh, there weren't even that many complaints before. This is a bonus, not a demand.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It most certainly was not. It's as much a copy of GURPS as the UNO card game is a copy of Magic: The Gathering, basically.

Stop talking out your ass. It was supposed to use GURPS, but didn't. Using seven stats (among these Charisma and Luck) and using percentile rolls is basically as far from GURPS design as you can possibly be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECIAL_System#SPECIAL

I'm awaiting your link that says Magic is based on UNO...

Since you've read and understand GURPS, I'm sure you can tell me how they are similar?

Or are you, as I suspect, just quoting Wikipedia who says "based on GURPS" because the game was initially supposed to be based on it, and because the devs said that's where they took their inspiration?

Right, I thought so.

I'll be happy to discuss how a bell-curve-based system with 4 main statistics and an incredibly deep interconnectivity with all elements of the system is in any way like a 7-stat system with magic stats, percentile rolling and a handful of arbitrary skills and cinematic traits.

It will certainly be fun to watch you invent the reasons they are alike.

almondblight

Arcane
Adventurer's Hall probably won't appease the people who want to create an entire party out of the gate, I feel they will still complain. Still, better than nothing right?

I guess they're doing that so they can balance things with however many NPC companions you'd get. If you, say, don't get your first one until several hours into the game when you're about level 2, the player who marches through the same areas with six hand crafted characters won't have much challenge.

Alex

Arcane
It most certainly was not. It's as much a copy of GURPS as the UNO card game is a copy of Magic: The Gathering, basically.

Stop talking out your ass. It was supposed to use GURPS, but didn't. Using seven stats (among these Charisma and Luck) and using percentile rolls is basically as far from GURPS design as you can possibly be.

Having more attributes isn't that different. I had GURPS with optional attributes, including charisma, before. And while the 3d6 bell curve is really part of its charm, I think a game using another system, but otherwise using the same rules, wouldn't be that dfferent. I would say levels is the mechanic that really moves it away from GURPS, I think. Anyway, what I think that Fallout really excels in is level design. If its system is only servicable, and the story is nothing to write home about, the level design takes both of these elements and show why interactivity is really where the heart of a game is.

And though any wizard may prepare several tomes, an inexperienced caster is not capable of channeling power through the log-thick, anvil-heavy, dog-eared grimoires of wizened archmagi. Such novices must alternate between more modest selections, relying on their less demanding spells and talents when they are unable to call upon their tomes.

Hmmm. Multiple spellbooks?

They had mentioned they were thinking of ways to exchange multiple suites of spells. I guess the books are that way. At first I was against it, but then I realized that they specifically said the suites would be player made, so hey, nice! Also, I am guessing the enchantment of the spellbook will play into the cooldown thing, maybe? Like, if you use a thunderbolt spell, you will discharge the enchantment of the spellbook's page and you need to wait for it to regather energy? Suddenly, I am hoping the enchantment of the spellbook is similar to thaumaturgy in Ultima 8.

I must say I am a bit surprised. I thought they would go for different, very culturally distinct classes that orbited around the souls idea, not D&D classes that are a little changed. Not that I dislike it, mind you, but it isn't what I was expecting.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I WANT TO BE AN ATHEIST http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61...s-new-reddit-qa-classes-and-art/#entry1222261 (in a world where gods are known for a fact to exist! :lol: )

Excellent update, what you guys are doing is amazing.
One thing I beg you for though; please please please include atheist and anti-theist spheres for priests, monks and druids.

Not as a fallen dark character either but as a paragon or noble character.

It would be so very awesome if you could include this.

Thank you

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, next Obsidian Kickstarter will be the Mass Effect to PE's Dragon Age. :smug:
If Dullsville is a hit, I think they'll use a lot of it as a springboard for Avellone's Torment successor. Seems like the natural thing to do, with BG begetting Torment and all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They had mentioned they were thinking of ways to exchange multiple suites of spells. I guess the books are that way.
I always was found of hand-crafted spellbooks. TNO making his own basically from shit and thorns, or beautiful tome of purple leather and gold locks from the guy of Sensorium, that's good stuff. I'm holding my breath for now of course, maybe I'm just imagining things.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I WANT TO BE AN ATHEIST http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61...s-new-reddit-qa-classes-and-art/#entry1222261 (in a world where gods are known for a fact to exist! :lol: )

One thing I beg you for though; please please please include atheist and anti-theist spheres for priests, monks and druids.

Thank you
I would say that's a horribly obvious troll but you never know with those people.

Atheist priests...:lol:

Thank you
I would say that's a horribly obvious troll but you never know with those people.

What's next, a pacifist fighter? :rpgcodex:

Alex

Arcane
They had mentioned they were thinking of ways to exchange multiple suites of spells. I guess the books are that way.
I always was found of hand-crafted spellbooks. TNO making his own basically from shit and thorns, or beautiful tome of purple leather and gold locks from the guy of Sensorium, that's good stuff. I'm holding my breath for now of course, maybe I'm just imagining things.

Yeah, I think this could be a nice way to add some adventure elements to the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Atheist, or at least anti-theist, priests can be fantastic in a fantasy-setting when done well.

Shadenuat

Arcane

You guys not familiar with D&D 4?

Atheist is a prestige class, you need Priest 20 to open it.

P.S. I shit you not, just checked. It's not exactly like that, but class called "Revered One", who "trivializes the gods" and something like that.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Yeah,yeah, yeah. Classes are fine, cipher is d&d psionic - no problem there. Now can we get something from Cain or MCA - I need to get rid of the bad taste in my mouth after Sawyer's cooldown fiasco.

"Hi guys ! I'm Sawyer ! Me and Willie Coyote are going to invent a better mousetrap cooldown !"
"BEEP FUCKING BEEP!"

jewboy

Arbiter
Avellone would probably love to write an atheist priest (with no spells but lots of speeches) character as well as a pacifist fighter (constantly trying to convince the party how wrong violence is) who refuses to fight or even carry a weapon, but they would violate his rule about every joinable NPC being useful in combat. They could make interesting non-joinable NPCs though. I suppose the athiest priest could be useful if he just focused solely on his fighter-like qualities. The fighter who explicitly refuses to fight even to defend himself might not be so useful in combat though.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Thank you

Well we already know the gods in game are hiding knowledge from mortals. It could be that they aren't "divine" or worthy worship.

They could do something like the Grigori in Fall from Heaven. The Grigori were comprised of people fed up with the actions of petty gods and their followers and instead exalt the achievements of mortals. Their leader is a fallen angel who chose to become mortal instead of serving any of the lesser gods when the one, true god left the world. He taught them to ignore the remaining lesser gods and to rely upon themselves. The most fervent of the anti-god Grigori, some kind of "atheist" inquisitor who seek to stamp out religion, are immune to divine powers. It's thought that the other gods wouldn't lay a finger on them in fear of retribution should the one, true god return.

Something like that. It's been a while since I played the game. But "atheists" could work in a setting with gods.

Edit:

These are the guys:

The Luonnotar are a group who denies that the gods are gods at all. To many this is beyond blasphemy, it is idiotic.
But blasphemy is enough for The Order, and they rounded up those they could find (the Luonnotar kept their membership secret). They were chained in the city plaza and told to repent for their blasphemy, to repent of their claims that the gods weren't real gods. The Luonnotar refused so the Order Prior called down a pillar of fire to destroy them. The pillar scorched the stone of the plaza, burnt off the chains but left the Luonnotar unhurt.

The reason they weren't hurt was because Junil was unwilling to harm those that were actually correct. The gods in general are confused about the Luonnotar, and worry that their knowledge might be evidence that the One has returned to tell them the truth (since the gods didn't tell them this). The gods have, thus far, refused to act against the Luonnotar.

http://fallfromheaven.wikia.com/wiki/Luonnotar

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
So? You could be a cleric of LG in vanilla 3E.

500px-LG_Logo.svg.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom