Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Re: Baldur's Gate sales figure

That includes all the myriad compilations and re-releases that were released over the years.

I think the original games each sold like 500k-1000k copies on release.

But remember, Baldur's Gate profits were divided between Bioware, Interplay, WotC and retailers. Eternity profits will go to Obsidian and Gaben/GOG only.
This is actually making me a lot more hopeful.

If Wasteland 2 or P:E can sell 1 million copies, with 70% of revenue going straight to the devs, at $30 a copy, that's 21 million right into those companies. That's a AAA game right there if they wanted to.

Murk

Arcane
I donno, D&D style clerics aren't healers in the typical sense. Strong healing in the jRPG style is basically 1 heal > 3+ hits/spell, where-is in D&D (depending on the type of heal) 1 heal < 1 hit/spell as a general rule of thumb.

In fact, most healing is done outside of battle usually with the use of scrolls or wands, where-as healing spells in battle are rare occurrences or meta-magic'd spells. Typically, anyway. Then take something like WoW in which a single heal can effectively restore a person to a large chunk of health at low levels and at high levels, where-as in D&D only one spell does that -- Heal, which is a high level spell.

So... basically I think it's more about the class's role and less about healing mechanics. Then again this is the guy who is defending cool-downs by not explaining what he means by cool-downs.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is a "strongly dominant healer"? Perhaps the main healing spells will activate a slow health regen, like Swallow potions in Witcher.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What is a "strongly dominant healer"? Perhaps the main healing spells will activate a slow health regen, like Swallow potions in Witcher.
it's somebody that sits back and just worries about keeping the party alive instead of contributing directly to battle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Repeating myself again and again...Regeneration of ALL abilities between encounters => no attrition => over 9000 trash mobs be coming our way.
If you think all your spells are going to regenerate in-between every fight you are quite literally a moron. Feel free to quote this back at me if I'm wrong, because I'm pretty confident I'm not.

Health regen or health restored after combat confirmed. Game is going to suck hard.
False, Sawyer's already mentioned that there's a heal spell "but not the way you think" meaning it isn't simply giving you HP, and when Captain Possibly Retarded was trolling him about CoD he said health regeneration was too lenient for the target audience.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Health regen or health restored after combat confirmed. Game is going to suck hard.
False, Sawyer's already mentioned that there's a heal spell "but not the way you think" meaning it isn't simply giving you HP, and when Captain Possibly Retarded was trolling him about CoD he said health regeneration was too lenient for the target audience.
I missed that comment by Sawyer. So it means that you'll be sucking souls to restore health like in Soul Reaver, or mobs will drop health globes to restore your health regularly like in Diablo 3. Man this game is going to such hard.

Dexter

Arcane
That's why I want Sawyer et all to come up with a mechanic to encourage players to not rest.

Probably the easiest way to do this would be to include single-use rest areas and prevent the player from backtracking into town once they enter a dungeon. A little game-y, though, and I think more people would be pissed than wouldn't.
As I said before, such a mechanic existed before and worked rather well (although the balancing wasn't exactly perfect, you have to balance the entire dungeon/area around that) in DDO: http://ddowiki.com/page/Shrine
Rest shrines are tall monoliths with a blue symbol found in quests and wilderness adventure areas that can be used to replenish hit points, spell points, and special abilities (like Turn Undead or item clickies) as well as remove negative ailments and reset the death penalty.
Rest shrines can be used only once in quests on Hard and Elite settings, once every 15 minutes on Normal and in wilderness areas, and once every 5 minutes on Solo and Casual.
On banalshitboring difficulty as it says they could be reused, but on harder difficulties with better rewards & shit they were one-time only, so you had to think tactically WHEN you wanted to use it, right now before you go on or rather clear more of the dungeon and come back? There was no HP/MP or spell regen otherwise and you always had to manage holding out just long enough to use the "Rest" opportunity at the right time, if you pushed ahead too much though you'd risk dieing. The biggest problem around this (or a system similar to Dark Souls) would likely be save-scumming though. In neither of these games you could save at will.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I believe BG2 sold like 200k in the 90s. That's pretty small time for publisher."

BG2 sold 2mil+. Upwards of 3mil including expansion. This is before the spamming of rereleases and GOG and all the other shit. BG1 sold basically the same. This was on the BIO site way back when they first got their own.

jewboy

Arbiter
It would be incredible if a true BG3 would sell as much today. I don't understand what is happening over in the kickstarter comments. It's like some kind of strange metamorphosis. I don't think I've ever seen human beings acting in that way. It is very strange. Is that what the Bioware forums are like all the time?

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
You know there are people who actually buy games in our shithole? RPGs are among the best selling since like, forever. Remember BG? Or you are too young? Polish translation will be probably done by CD-Projekt cause of deal with GOG. Stop whining.
This.
On the other hand PE is not that BIG title to get the same, detailed localization with voices form the best tier of Polish actors as in case BG or IWD. So we'll probably miss Henryk Talars's narration and last but not least "Przed wyruszeniem w drogę należy zebrać drużynę" :salute:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I missed that comment by Sawyer. So it means that you'll be sucking souls to restore health like in Soul Reaver, or mobs will drop health globes to restore your health regularly like in Diablo 3. Man this game is going to such hard.

"This game is not exactly what I would design so of course it sucks."

FeelTheRads

Arcane

So you think health globes are a good way to go?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I think that is an assumption he is making because he desperately does not want to be optimistic. Sawyer is saying pretty much exactly what people should want to hear (outside making it turn-based, which would betray the point of the whole thing) yet they still find something to be pessimistic about.

What is the point of the glorious kickstarter/indie incline revolution if we're going to second-guess every fucking little thing? Like Baldur's Gate and Torment were fucking perfect games.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

What? Grimlord assumed it will have health globes and DalekFlay responded in the typical Obsidian-apologist "haters gonna hate" fashion. Believe me, if Obsidian announces health globes these people will actually discuss them and claim Obsidian can do them right.

because he desperately does not want to be optimistic.

I didn't know being optimistic is an obligation.

What is the point of the glorious kickstarter/indie incline revolution

1. Obsidian is hardly doing any revolution.
2. If you let them stray from their initial pitch, then yes, what the fuck is the point of Kickstarter?

The "point" is when your wishes coincide with the intentions of the project creator. If those intentions change then it doesn't work anymore.
And don't tell me it's about helping fulfill someboby else's dream. That's absolute bullshit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Where the fuck did you draw that conclusion from? Why don't you say that this game will use space ships or Terminator cyborgs? Because it seems that we are at a point where people make random shit up, that are definitely won't be in the game and rage about it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom