Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seriously though, you support the Codex by memorializing it 4evar in an Obsidian game. OBSIDIAN game. OBSIDIAN GAME.

:mca:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I see no reason for them to make a fake screenshot (which could easily blow up in their faces for a large number of reasons), or to even want one.

As I've said before, their whole pitch has been kind of bland. Their tone especially contrasts with Fargo and Schafer who came across giddy as school girls.

Also, and this is somewhat unfair, there seems to be a lack of artistic vision from Obsidian. Fargo appeared as though he had a clear vision for what he wanted to make even when he wasn't giving out details. Assuming you don't think he's lying or incompetent you had a feeling for what Wasteland 2 would be. He couldn't say party-based turn-based RPG with choices and consequences enough. So we know those are the things he wants to focus on.

What is P:E focusing on? The RTwP combat? The mature themes? Choices and/or consequences? Dialog and story? Is the story going to be more about the main character or a bigger story that he gets swept up in?

I know people like to say Fargo didn't tell us anything about Wasteland 2, but I think he did a better job painting the broadstrokes.

The only things that really has me excited for P:E is Avellone writing things for a brand new world instead of working within a framework of other people's creation, and Tim Cain and Avellone collaborating.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I already pledged on KS/Codex and I don't want to change anything there. But seriously, nobody is troubled by the lack of one single screenshot?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Nothing scary about it, just very bland - you've read one interview with Avellone, you know what he's going to answer.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The interesting part, such as it is, is Avellone's taste in movies and games.

Also, Merin likes the gameplay in Alpha Protocol :retarded:

MCA
Yeah, nice try.

Sawyer never actually said that. What's more, Sawyer said several times during and after F:NV's development that he didn't like the Karma function. One of the main reasons Karma stuff was close to none interest attended to and the faction system was so prominently brought back.

The only lesson learned here is that RPS is an even bigger shithole than anyone can imagine.

Can you prove to me that he never actually said that? Do you have any source to prove that he did *not* say that anywhere? The only lesson learned here is that both of us are acting based on hearsay. Your hearsay isn't more reliable than mine. Though, as it is now, I'd rather believe in RPS than some RTwP cocksucker who comfortable gulps down everything his favourite developer spews.

MCA
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/378577055803007178

KUNq9.png

:troll:

To be fair, some of the ancient societies were far more pro-woman (though not in a modern liberal-sense) than today. A lot of ancient mediterranean societies, especially pre-Iron age. A number of matriarchal cultures. Spartans. Many African tribes whose histories aren't even properly known. Depending on the historical setting, there can be plenty of space to push a pro-woman attitude. Take Expeditions: Conquistador as a recent example in games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fargo appeared as though he had a clear vision for what he wanted to make even when he wasn't giving out details.
Well, in my book PE has just as clear/unclear vision as W2. But Fargo knows how to sell things, since he is almost a PR person. But what do we know about W2: turn based combat, make your own party, post-apocaliptic, isometric, skill based C&C.

What do we know about PE: RTwP, one main character and several NPCs (but it is possible to make your own party), high fantasy, where the world suffered somekind of horrible event, isometric, mature story, C&C, class based, isometric. I can't get my head around people saying that they know more about W2 than PE. No, we don't. And the sad thing is that the W2 kickstarter has ended for months, and PE is just at halftime.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Cooldowns shmooldowns, I'm starting to feel like these guys might actually really be passionate about some of the old RPGs we loved. Some of those Darklands comments I just saw put me into good spirits. Look, even if it's not TB and even if it has some small (optional) concession to the loathsome faggots that rule the RPG audiences now I think we should support Obsidian. Even though they've produced a lot of buggy shit I think there's a genuine will to make something we'd love, and if this turns out to be successful enough I think we can expect to see something like a Darklands or PS:T spiritual successor KS in the not-so-distant future. And come on, wouldn't you want to see that? I know I would.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Yeah, nice try.

Sawyer never actually said that. What's more, Sawyer said several times during and after F:NV's development that he didn't like the Karma function. One of the main reasons Karma stuff was close to none interest attended to and the faction system was so prominently brought back.

The only lesson learned here is that RPS is an even bigger shithole than anyone can imagine.

Can you prove to me that he never actually said that? Do you have any source to prove that he did *not* say that anywhere? The only lesson learned here is that both of us are acting based on hearsay. Your hearsay isn't more reliable than mine. Though, as it is now, I'd rather believe in RPS than some RTwP cocksucker who comfortable gulps down everything his favourite developer spews.

I can most certainly prove what he said about F:NV and also here are the slides from his GDC talks (You can actually watch the video of his talk if you pay, so there is a way to prove it)

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/03/do-say-right-thing-choice-architecture.html

As for reaction mechanics he brings repeadetly the reputation NOT the karma system up.

Short answer: You're wrong (as always)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
IG – What are some of your favorite games that helped influence your style?
CA – Chronotrigger

Confirmed. PE is a jRPG.

:troll:

More like MCA confirmed for eclectic and good taste; I heard them call Dark Souls an excellent game a couple days back.
:incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom