Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61076-rtwp-versus-turn-based-combat/page__st__40

I've never understood the mystique that turn-based games seem to have for some people. The argument that they're somehow more tactical than RTwP strikes me as backwards. Not that I think that turn-based is less tactical, per se, but I think most of the attraction to turn-based lies in the fact that it simplifies things for the player. Instead of having to manage multiple characters and situations simultaneously, it breaks things down into discrete, easily comprehended little chunks. Certainly some turn-based games can be pretty serious- ToEE springs to mind. I think that's the exception rather than the rule. I think more often than not, turn-based games are pretty simplistic, stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic or Final Fantasy Tactics. And I like both of those games. But the idea that they're somehow more tactical than a RTwP game strikes me as absurd on the face.

You guys need to control every character separately? What are you, too stupid and dumb to do that in real time?

Not so controversial. We've said all of that and more here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-eternity-how-does-it-work-tb-vs-rtwp.76280/

wormix

Augur
Guys I just read Sawyer may have at one point considered cooldowns in this game. I call all of you to withdraw your pledge.
Someone hand me a toaster. ;)

It probably warrants repeating though that kickstarter is a donation system, not a preorder system. If you don't have faith in a developer I don't think anything they say will change your mind.

You can still wait till it comes out and buy the game based on reviews or opinions just like any other game. You just donate to a) help the game get off the ground and gain features b) get a warm fuzzy feeling and c) possibly nab some bonus as incentive to donate.

MCA
Business lesson 101: It is not a CEO's duty to decide about individual game elements. That's what designers are for.

Explain me this, then (from the RPS Interview with MCA):

RPS: How about morality and choice? Will it involve a point system/meter of some sort? I attended a talk at GDC where Project Eternity’s own Josh Sawyer deemed them essential in showing the player the results of their actions.

Avellone: I don’t believe in a morality bar for the player. It was excluded from Alpha Protocol on purpose. Something like the reputations – personal and faction and community – that were in Alpha Protocol and New Vegas feel more true to me.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/05/obsidian-on-project-eternity-old-school-innovation/

Uh-oh. Individual developers voicing conflicting preferences.

Lesson learned: individual preferences not given in an official statement specifically related to the game don't mean shit. Eg: Darklands is Sawyer's favourite RPG so if asked about his favourite RPG in an interview about PE, he would naturally mention Darklands. And Darklands is skill-based. But PE is not. So, if we didn't already know that PE is not skill-based, were we to assume that PE would also be skill based? BA-DUM-TSSSS!

And in this context, Feargus speaking of game features in regard to PE is far more relevant than any isolated piece of personal opinion anyone at Obsidian might give.

So stop being stupid.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Business lesson 101: It is not a CEO's duty to decide about individual game elements. That's what designers are for.

Explain me this, then (from the RPS Interview with MCA):

RPS: How about morality and choice? Will it involve a point system/meter of some sort? I attended a talk at GDC where Project Eternity’s own Josh Sawyer deemed them essential in showing the player the results of their actions.

Avellone: I don’t believe in a morality bar for the player. It was excluded from Alpha Protocol on purpose. Something like the reputations – personal and faction and community – that were in Alpha Protocol and New Vegas feel more true to me.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/05/obsidian-on-project-eternity-old-school-innovation/

Lesson learned: individual preferences not given in an official statement specifically related to the game don't mean shit. Eg: Darklands is Sawyer's favourite RPG so if asked about his favourite RPG in an interview about PE, he would naturally mention Darklands. And Darklands is skill-based. But PE is not. So, if we didn't already know that PE is not skill-based, were we to assume that PE would also be skill based? BA-DUM-TSSSS!

And in this context, Feargus speaking of game features in regard to PE is far more relevant than any isolated piece of personal opinion anyone at Obsidian might give.

So stop being stupid.
Stop acting like you are so clever. You are not. :smug:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

So stop being stupid.

You really think Feargus is going to have more impact on the systems than Sawyer? Why the fuck would he pull rank on that kind of shit? He's too busy making deals and having meetings to keep the rest of Obsidian employed to go knocking on Sawyer's office door and say "now Josh, we really need cooldowns in this motherfucker. I want it to play like WoW and Baldur's Gate had a fucking love-child."

wormix

Augur
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/378577878582851724
Anonymous* said:
Most stuff shown so far for PE looks like it could come from Forgotten Realms, albeit with the potential for interesting twists and nuances. Will PE have some truly weird and unique concepts, and can you show some of those before the Kickstarter ends?
JESawyer* said:
It will. I'd like to show some of them before the Kickstarter ends, but only if they are ready to show.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

Yeah, nice try.

Sawyer never actually said that. What's more, Sawyer said several times during and after F:NV's development that he didn't like the Karma function. One of the main reasons Karma stuff was close to none interest attended to and the faction system was so prominently brought back.

The only lesson learned here is that RPS is an even bigger shithole than anyone can imagine.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
sawyercombat.png

Confirmed combat will suck, so stop worrying about cooldowns
:troll:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I take it back, there are worse places than RPS on the internet. Thankfully Chris knows the talk.

http://indierpgs.com/2012/10/interview-with-chris-avellone/

Third and fourth: I remember reading through the Planescape Vision Statement after it was made public. It was interesting, since it presented the game as much less thoughtful than it actually turned out to be. In particularly, I was deeply surprised to see these two bullet points in there: (1) “‘Babes,’ as in ‘Truckloads Of’” and (2) “And More Babes”. Was this something you felt you needed to have to motivate the design team? Or was this actually part of the original vision?

There was a lot of marketing hype and speak in it, and that worked for the audience at the time, which wasn’t solely the team. The goal was to get the project into production, and there were elements about it that were part of the vision, yes – as an example, Morte’s outlook didn’t change from the vision doc, and yes, it was important to me that both Annah and Fall-From-Grace be extremely good-looking in their own way even if the player character wasn’t. Sue me.
icon_smile.gif

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Let's say that for this PE KS campaign, we have a scale like this:
- 1~15$ - The poor man option.
- 15~50$ - A normal person.
- 50~150$ - Enthusiast supporter.
- 150$+ - Irrational fanboy.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the most appropriate pledge for what Obsidian presented until now. Because I simply don't find any reason to give more than 50$ even as an Obsidian supporter.

Probably I'm butthurt, but I cannot get over the fact that a company like Obsidian cannot afford 2 weeks of work in order to prototype a few screenshots for the game. I mean after the flood of filler updates and the "exciting" artworks, everything is still smelling like a hack job assembled over a weekend. Words and more words, but so few pictures.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you don't feel like giving more than 50, give them 50.

As for working 2 weeks to give a screenshot, well that would have been a shitty screenshot, which would have scared the potential backers away. It is not as easy as you describe it.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I mean after the flood of filler updates and the "exciting" artworks, everything is still smelling like a hack job assembled over a weekend.

sounds like loot drop's diarrhea an old-skool rpg by brendon brathwaite and tom hall...

jewboy

Arbiter
What screenshots? There is no game to make screenshots with. The best they can do is concept art and they have done some. Not even close to as good as what Wasteland 2 had, but whatever. It's concept art. It doesn't mean shit. As far as the pledging amounts, have you considered the idea that you might just be cheap? If you really want to save money just torrent the thing when it's released. Contributing is not about buying something it's about doing your part for the cause or whatever. That only works of course if you actually believe in the cause. It also helps when the developer is specific enough about their vision that you have some idea of what that cause actually is.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm trying to figure out what would be the most appropriate pledge for what Obsidian presented until now. Because I simply don't find any reason to give more than 50$ even as an Obsidian supporter.

If you don't feel like giving more than 50, give them 50.

Moreso, give it through the Codex fundraiser. :D $50 will get you a digital copy + an in-game mention. Plus you'll support the Codex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom