Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Their explicit mentioning of Factions in this game leads me to believe we will more than likely be siding with one or more. And the consequences there of, hopefully.
Or giving the finger to them all, like sticking with Yes Man or the VtMB lone wolf ending. I like those.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
To be honest, I think the reason people will follow you, is because of the "Event" that happens in the early part of the game. You are NOT the Chosen One™, you are now a Victim of Circumstance. Which is fine. And will most likely make sense.
I hope there will be a mix of companions, some that will follow you for plot reasons, but others that must be actively recruited, with the possibility of failing to do so if e.g. the PC is too dumb.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
sawyercombat.png

:yeah:

SUCK IT HATERS!

Also for our Potato and PINKO COMMIE BASTARDS:

Question: Hey, got a concern for you from the Russians from last night. Apparently 1C/Cenega have exclusive distribution deals with Bethesda. The folks over in Eastern Europe paid full price on Steam for various games, FO:NV, Skyrim, RAGE, etc. and got locked into the localized version only. The localized version was not compatible with any of the downloaded content and was lacking in other ways. They are VERY concerned about maintaining access to the original version of Project Eternity and not being locked into -just- the Russian version.

To sum up, Arteziya asks:

"So I repeat - please, could you answer - would backers from Russia (and Poland, though I don't know details of their situation, but doubt that their distributors behave themselves better then ours) would have an access to original version, or do you lock us to our regional?"

Feargus: We will make sure that the people we team up with do a good job. And, we've heard a lot of things about 1C now that will make us really ask them a lot of questions and require a lot from them - if we were to work with them. Not saying that we are working with them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
With or without Cool downs? :troll:

The cooldowns are a given. They WILL be in the game. If I had to GUESS (based on us making the HARDCORE MODE OPTION Milestone) I am going to think they may do an IE like option you can select that will mimic the IE type of combat, as in memorization and cooldown like mix. Just like the cooldown spells that are actually in the IE games. ;)

That's my best guess, and as to why he is being vague, they are still in the process of designing it. Just like Wasteland 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still don't remember there being cooldowns in any of the IE games.

jewboy

Arbiter
Looks to me like Jaeson is right. In for $250. Just not sure if it's better through the codex or paypal or what.

edit: Shit. When did Jaeson say that?
edit2: I must be blind.

Grimlorn

Arcane
So you think health globes are a good way to go?

I think that is an assumption he is making because he desperately does not want to be optimistic. Sawyer is saying pretty much exactly what people should want to hear (outside making it turn-based, which would betray the point of the whole thing) yet they still find something to be pessimistic about.

What is the point of the glorious kickstarter/indie incline revolution if we're going to second-guess every fucking little thing? Like Baldur's Gate and Torment were fucking perfect games.
Text is a terrible medium to convey sarcasm.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still don't remember there being cooldowns in any of the IE games.
The cooldowns are a given. They WILL be in the game.
Hmm.

When did this become certain? I don't care about the rest.

Still based off of Fergus' remarks in the KS comment section. They still have NEVER denied cool-downs (or just said OOPS! Fergus is a moran and doesn't know what he is talking about). heh

I still think Obsidian can pull of something that will ultimately be similar to the IE games. Weather it be via an option or other means. There has been a LOT of vocal opinion that we LIKED the original combat. Still, Tim and Josh could have something in mind already that may be equally interesting that we have never thought of yet.

EDIT: Also WHY has Mr. Davis been MYSTARIOUSLY quiet?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then why the fuck not explain it? This is like being held hostage by a FUCKING GAME DEV. I am in half mind as to trash my pledge and pirate this shit just as a useless fuck you gesture.

:roll: Jaesun is trolling you (not necessarily deliberately)

Bottom line, we don't know yet if there will be cooldowns or not.

But like I said, they are NOT going to rule out cooldowns, so if that bothers you, remove your pledge.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Still based off of Fergus' remarks in the KS comment section. They still have NEVER denied cool-downs (or just said OOPS! Fergus is a moran and doesn't know what he is talking about). heh

I still think Obsidian can pull of something that will ultimately be similar to the IE games. Weather it be via an option or other means. There has been a LOT of vocal opinion that we LIKED the original combat. Still, Tim and Josh could have something in mind already that may be equally interesting that we have never thought of yet.

Then why the fuck not explain it? This is like being held hostage by a FUCKING GAME DEV. I am in half mind as to trash my pledge and pirate this shit just as a useless fuck you gesture.

Why? They have give assurances it will be like BG2/IWD. We still don't know shit about Wasteland 2.

THE ENTIRE POINT of a KS pledge is based off the promises made on the KS site, do you feel Obsidian can deliver such a product? I say yes. I'm backing them here and I am backing the KS site. That assurance from Sawyer is good enough for me (combat similar to IE). If it isn't to you, then don't pledge. Or keep following for more info.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Why? They have give assurances it will be like BG2/IWD. We still don't know shit about Wasteland 2.

THE ENTIRE POINT of a KS pledge is based off the promises made on the KS site, do you feel Obsidian can deliver such a product? I say yes. I'm backing them here and I am backing the KS site. That assurance from Sawyer is good enough for me (combat similar to IE). If it isn't to you, then don't pledge. Or keep following for more info.
We know as much about W2 combat as we do about P:E.

It's going to be like JA2 and Fallout:Tactics.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist

We know as much about W2 combat as we do about P:E.

It's going to be like JA2 and Fallout:Tactics.

It's like two underaged girls arguing on how their first cock will taste like.

Shadenuat

Arcane
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61076-rtwp-versus-turn-based-combat/page__st__40

I've never understood the mystique that turn-based games seem to have for some people. The argument that they're somehow more tactical than RTwP strikes me as backwards. Not that I think that turn-based is less tactical, per se, but I think most of the attraction to turn-based lies in the fact that it simplifies things for the player. Instead of having to manage multiple characters and situations simultaneously, it breaks things down into discrete, easily comprehended little chunks. Certainly some turn-based games can be pretty serious- ToEE springs to mind. I think that's the exception rather than the rule. I think more often than not, turn-based games are pretty simplistic, stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic or Final Fantasy Tactics. And I like both of those games. But the idea that they're somehow more tactical than a RTwP game strikes me as absurd on the face.

You guys need to control every character separately? What are you, too stupid and dumb to do that in real time?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Guys I just read Sawyer may have at one point considered cooldowns in this game. I call all of you to withdraw your pledge.
134876974181.png

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Guys I just read Sawyer may have at one point considered cooldowns in this game. I call all of you to withdraw your pledge.
134876974181.png

I like how :slowpoke: isn't an official emoticon on the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom