Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
We just learned that Volly yaks away while looking into a mirror.

taxi-driver-mirror.jpg

GordonHalfman

Scholar
What's the deal with Volourn's spelling? Some kind of running gag? I mean "surf a purpose"? What the fuck.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Volly has a point, though. The written updates have made some pretty worrisome implications that aren't present in the video updates. Obsidian needs to fire (hire?) their copy-editor.

Wizfall

Cipher
I disliked Vancian system a lot because i hate to rest.
I remember taking Edwin in BG 2 and almost never using him for anything because i hate the idea if wasting a spell.
Playing with only true spellcasters in BG2 was also unmanageable unless you want to rest/cheat the system all the time.
Unlimited level 1 spells (and even level 2 one if you remove Mirror Image) for mage would have been very entertaining IMO and not at all overpowered.
I'm very much for cooldown for spell.
The difficulty is to do it well: you have to manage a lot your "mana" between encounter because the cooldown is long enough to only let you recuperate a part it but as result you don't fear to cast a powerfull spell time to time.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think their magic system sounds good. No telling how it actually manifests itself, but I get the feeling that decades of though have been put into this. It seems like they want to use the best of all worlds. Usually this doesn't pan out, but with a magic system it just might.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey, Grunk? What do you think the PE magic system should be like?

I dunno, I'm not a professional game-designer, I'm just an angry cunt on the Codex.

I do think that straight up IE-magic sounds better than what they are devising. I really didn't see many problem with that system as long as you couldn't rest everywhere. I think Chaos Chronicles' magic system looks even better (vancian, rest anywhere, but save only in towns and villages, and resting in dungeons carries risk of random encounter). That solves both of the problems usually leveled against IE-magic.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I don't like rampant resting from a LARP perspective. Isn't fun.

How are they gonna keep you from resting anywhere you want anyway? NO, you are in a DUNGEON, so you can't leave until you beat it!! Sounds like an NES game. No thanks.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like the idea of mundane factors like hunger, danger, and fatigue impeding a rest. Hopefully, whatever that hardcore mode is satisfies this need. I absolutely LOVE the grimoire idea, and wouldn't it be cool if a Cleve "bunker edition" grimoire found its way into the game?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

How are they gonna keep you from resting anywhere you want anyway? NO, you are in a DUNGEON, so you can't leave until you beat it!! Sounds like an NES game. No thanks.

So how do you explain individual levels of spells just locking out after a certain amount of use? It's 100% gamey.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

I would love for Obsidian to trap players in a dungeon until they die or successfully complete it (like in KotC, maybe?), but thanks to casual shits like you there is absolutely no chance of this happening.

Suck my dick, you LARPer faggot.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
It seems like they want to use the best of all worlds.

This right here is more than enough reason to be nervous. Although I don't think there's anything 'best' from the world of cooldowns.

Yes, but in a way Vancian magic has "Cooldowns" too. I'm not being contrary, but it's true if you think about it. Trust me, man, I hate those WoW like cooldowns with a passion. I sincerely don't think that's what they have in mind on PE though.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus

So how do you explain individual levels of spells just locking out after a certain amount of use? It's 100% gamey.

Nah, it could be realistic. I can do 3 sets of push ups a day till I get good, then I can pretty much go all day. Same with calculus problems or other strenuous endeavors. I think it's at least a decent observation anyway.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Hey, Grunk? What do you think the PE magic system should be like?

I dunno, I'm not a professional game-designer, I'm just an angry cunt on the Codex.

I do think that straight up IE-magic sounds better than what they are devising. I really didn't see many problem with that system as long as you couldn't rest everywhere. I think Chaos Chronicles' magic system looks even better (vancian, rest anywhere, but save only in towns and villages, and resting in dungeons carries risk of random encounter). That solves both of the problems usually leveled against IE-magic.

:bro:

Yeah, that sounds a lot better to me than cooldowns.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Nah, it could be realistic. I can do 3 sets of push ups a day till I get good, then I can pretty much go all day. Same with calculus problems or other strenuous endeavors. I think it's at least a decent observation anyway.

But it doesn't work this way. You can spread out your push ups and calculus problems across the day and do more without getting tired. The way it's implied that cooldowns work is that it's not fatigue based. I can imagine someone getting tired after 4 spells if they are cast within a relative close time frame, but here you could cast 3 spells, wait an hour and then cast a 4th one and then you'd suddenly be locked in a cooldown. Not to mention that it clearly isn't fatigue based because you can still use other spells anyway. The better equivalent to this would be that after kicking 4 times I'm too tired to kick, but not too tired to punch and head butt. And that doesn't make much sense.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Fire and forget might not fit into there soul system either. This is Obsidian, so we have to expect some game mechanics to be derived from the narrative, for better or worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom