Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Lord Andre

Arcane
If mages get infinite magic missle, I want infinite hold person for my cleric. If Josh confirms that, all is forgiven.:troll:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
If this game has a spell called 'Zap' I'm going to kill someone.
I'd love it. It should be a melee range spell, deal zero to very little damage, and have the caster say "zap!" in a super gay voice. Like, "shhaap!"

x4nti

Educated
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61129-reddit-qa-part-2-with-tim-cain/
Tim Cain said:
... we are looking into the idea that wizards are only limited in the number of times they can cast their higher-level combat spells in a fight, and other spell are castable as many times as you want. As the wizard levels up, spells that previously had a limit can now be cast an unlimited number of times, and the newly acquired spells are the ones with a limit.

When you cast a certain number of ... spells, in any combination, then the whole spell level group goes into a cooldown, and you can't use any of them until that cooldown has passed. That cooldown is long enough that for short battles, you are limited to casting a certain number of spells for each spell level. For long battles, that cooldown might expire and you can start casting those spells again.

This is the most solid we have. In it there is no description of abilities that are only usable a finite number of times in an encounter but refresh after the encounter, i.e. a non-daily.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah, it's when a cat takes a nap. Cats sleep a lot. Without looking it up, I think it's like 12-16 hours every day. But when they sleep it's not like, you know, 12-16 hours in a row...they take lots of little naps. And it's pretty cool because they have this weird awareness, like they're always sleeping with one eye open or something. But yeah, catnaps. Now you know!

wormix

Augur
Has anyone brought up casting lower level spells with higher level slots? I'm not sure how people feel about it, but I never got why you couldn't 'use up' a fireball slot and cast magic missile instead if you really wanted to.

Sometimes I took the meta magic feats in NWN2 just to have the option to do this even when I didn't care about the metamagic effect.

As for cooldowns, the problem I see is combat devolving into cycling through all your low level spells mindlessly when you reach higher level in order to get them to cooldown quicker.

Alex

Arcane
If this game has a spell called 'Zap' I'm going to kill someone.

Sir, I will have you know that Zap is a perfectly fine name for a spell, as evidenced by this image:

zap.jpg

Heck, if all we got in this game were the spells in Sorcery!, I would probably be happy already! I wonder if we should suggest actual memorization as a means for spell casting. You have to read the spellbook manual and type the spell names during the game, and consulting it during the game would be cheating, of course. By the way Hot is also a valid spell name:

hot.jpg

wormix

Augur
The difference in spell names like "Zap" and "Jacob's Electrifying Finger" is really a stylistic choice, rather than one being fundamentally better than the other.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The difference in spell names like "Zap" and "Jacob's Electrifying Finger" is really a stylistic choice, rather than one being fundamentally better than the other.

Really? 'Zap' is equal to 'Jacob's Electrifying Finger'. Good to know.

Presentation people. Presentation matters.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would love to see you guys transported back in time and sitting in the Baldur's Gate development offices, reporting everything on here as you hear it. It would end up being known as the worst game of all time.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Except after doing that, that tier of spells are locked out."

For 30 seconds. You shouldn't be able to cast 3 fireballs wait 30 seconds and thenc ast 3 more fireballs. It's fukkin' retarted if you want people to think about long term use of spells ala DnD.
Fast Forward to 15:07

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'm not watching an ugly dude yakking away ( I do that enough of that when looking into mirrors). I go by hardcoded written shit on forums. Their officially written updates and their post spamming on various baords is enough evidence that their planned system is not better than a vanican system or even a mana system (which i fukkin' don't care for) or a oooldown system which can surf a purpose. They're trying tog et the best of all 3 worlds and are probably gonna end up with the worst of all 3 and shit the bed lol.

Thank Moradin for the existence of dwarfs!

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Are you trying to explain things to volly? :lol:

Come on bro, you're smarter than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom