Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I don't like rampant resting from a LARP perspective. Isn't fun.

How are they gonna keep you from resting anywhere you want anyway? NO, you are in a DUNGEON, so you can't leave until you beat it!! Sounds like an NES game. No thanks.

So how do you explain individual levels of spells just locking out after a certain amount of use? It's 100% gamey.
Huh? How can you NOT see the million ways to explain this? It's a fuckin fantasy game. It just feels lame from both LARPer and gameplay perspectives to have to rest for several hours to recover your spells, a la IE. I don't find that fun.

How are they gonna keep you from resting anywhere you want anyway? NO, you are in a DUNGEON, so you can't leave until you beat it!! Sounds like an NES game. No thanks.

I would love for Obsidian to trap players in a dungeon until they die or successfully complete it (like in KotC, maybe?), but thanks to casual shits like you there is absolutely no chance of this happening.

Suck my dick, you LARPer faggot.
Ain't about being casual; it's about playing an RPG. Being trapped in a dungeon because it's A Dungen is boring as all fuck. I want freedom or I'd be playing a platformer.

I still think it's hilarious that neckbeards like you frequent this site but openly mock actual roleplaying concepts with terms like LARP, lol.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

So how do you explain individual levels of spells just locking out after a certain amount of use? It's 100% gamey.

Nah, it could be realistic. I can do 3 sets of push ups a day till I get good, then I can pretty much go all day. Same with calculus problems or other strenuous endeavors. I think it's at least a decent observation anyway.

But it doesn't work this way. You can spread out your push ups and calculus problems across the day and do more without getting tired. The way it's implied that cooldowns work is that it's not fatigue based. I can imagine someone getting tired after 4 spells if they are cast within a relative close time frame, but here you could cast 3 spells, wait an hour and then cast a 4th one and then you'd suddenly be locked in a cooldown. Not to mention that it clearly isn't fatigue based because you can still use other spells anyway. The better equivalent to this would be that after kicking 4 times I'm too tired to kick, but not too tired to punch and head butt. And that doesn't make much sense.

It sometimes works that way. I might be tired from push ups and do jumping jacks for instance. I'm a master at algebra so I don't get fed up like I do at calculus. I'm not shitting out hyperbole either, since these are actual cases I have experienced. Also, fatigue and time are entirely related so I'm not sure what your getting at. I think by dividing cooldowns into levels, Obsidian creates a much more digestible mechanic than the vancian, mana, or mmo like cooldown systems we've previously seen. Maybe it'll be shit, but at this point I like what I see.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Hey, Grunk? What do you think the PE magic system should be like?

I dunno, I'm not a professional game-designer, I'm just an angry cunt on the Codex.

I do think that straight up IE-magic sounds better than what they are devising. I really didn't see many problem with that system as long as you couldn't rest everywhere. I think Chaos Chronicles' magic system looks even better (vancian, rest anywhere, but save only in towns and villages, and resting in dungeons carries risk of random encounter). That solves both of the problems usually leveled against IE-magic.

:bro:

Yeah, that sounds a lot better to me than cooldowns.
In the end that system will end up with you walking back and forth between towns and dungeons before and after hard fights.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Being trapped in a dungeon because it's A Dungen is boring as all fuck. I want freedom or I'd be playing a platformer.

oh get the fuck out here
Excuse me? Do you play RPGs?

I play these games for the freedom they give me. Imagine if Fallout locked you into The Military Base and The Glow and every other dungeon-like area just because they were Dungeons. Hell No.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hey, Grunk? What do you think the PE magic system should be like?

I dunno, I'm not a professional game-designer, I'm just an angry cunt on the Codex.

I do think that straight up IE-magic sounds better than what they are devising. I really didn't see many problem with that system as long as you couldn't rest everywhere. I think Chaos Chronicles' magic system looks even better (vancian, rest anywhere, but save only in towns and villages, and resting in dungeons carries risk of random encounter). That solves both of the problems usually leveled against IE-magic.

This would be the best option, and all you lose is the ability to save scumm (casuals need not apply then). It would add just even more tacticool depth to combat and crawling. I'd still like to have the option to save when you quit and load when you continue in case I have to quit playing the game mid-dungeon, but that's it.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Save only in town is a bad ass option. Pretty sure we can talk Obsidian into this for one of their modes if we give a damn.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
eybBM.png

o7JdP.png

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
FAGGOTRY :codexisfor:

MULTI-HEADED DICKS:mhd:

POTATO : x

KWANS :patriot:

JEWS:keepmyjewgold:

LET OUR POWER COMBINE

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM CAPTAIN GRUNKER
315832_10150326468211831_582431830_8298421_1795446325_n.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not convincing? I got a shit load more support than any of the crap you've said in this thread so who really is more convincing?
Shit is delicious: One million flies can't be wrong.

This is the same fucking argument that was used to defend Mike Laidlaw over DA2. You design something and it's a success you get the credit for it, not the fucking QA testers, do you see QA Tester number 23 being praised on the Codex? No it's fucking Tim Cain/Avellone/Sawyer who ever the designer/programmer is. Likewise, if your product is a bug infested PoS, you suffer the consequences. I can't believe I am seeing this EXTREMELY BSN style argument being peddled here.
Your argument makes no sense. Systems designers get the credit/blame when their systems are bad. Bugs are another department entirely completely unrelated to the design of a system.

I think Chaos Chronicles' magic system looks even better (vancian, rest anywhere, but save only in towns and villages, and resting in dungeons carries risk of random encounter). That solves both of the problems usually leveled against IE-magic.
You realize that just means I'm going to rest after every single combat? That just exacerbates the problem by making it more degenerate.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I would love for Obsidian to trap players in a dungeon until they die or successfully complete it (like in KotC, maybe?), but thanks to casual shits like you there is absolutely no chance of this happening.

Like in skyrim, right? :troll:

Save only in town is a bad ass option. Pretty sure we can talk Obsidian into this for one of their modes if we give a damn.

:notsureifserious:

Cynic

Arcane
I know I embarrassed you earlier, but are you trying to make a point? :love:

You've only embarrassed yourself bro, but keep on shit posting. It makes the non shit posts stand out even more.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I know I embarrassed you earlier, but are you trying to make a point? :love:

You've only embarrassed yourself bro, but keep on shit posting. It makes the non shit posts stand out even more.
I just wanna point out that my Brofist-to-post count ratio is significantly better than yours. :love:Does this upset you?

Cynic

Arcane
I just wanna point out that my Brofist-to-post count ratio is significantly better than yours. :love:Does this upset you?

Uh, no and the fact that you said that and are checking such things really proves how much a fucking loser and retard you are.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh Roguey! Nice to see ya! What magic system would YOU use in PE?
I'm not playing the apropos-of-nothing armchair design game. Sawyer's at-will (very basic spells that don't require a tome) encounter (lowest-level spells with a level-wide cooldown) and daily (highest level spells) idea sounds like it could be fun as long as challenge ramps up appropriately.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Lol, ok, we're done. I think it's clear who the shit poster is...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom