Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What's the opinion of the codex on SoZ? It got a lot of haters in quite a few forums, but i must say that for what it was i found it very nice, and also a very unique CRPG experience.

The general Kodex Konsensus is that it is very... sozzy!

A basket full of great ideas - a return to form mixed with some great new stuff. Sadly it is all crushed under the immense weight of shitty NWN2 UI, camera and not enough meat is actually in the game. In other words, this:

It's a combat-focused game on an engine that makes combat unbearable [...] the dungeons are definitely too small (as in one chamber).

about sums it up. Great ideas, somewhat lacking execution.

A staple of Obsidian design, in my opinion, though I have liked some of their games (notably KotOR2, New Vegas, MotB and SoZ, though all with cave-ats).

Captain Shrek

Calling Vault Dweller

What do you think of in combat stamina regen?

You have been pretty quiet on the issue. Forget that the system is NOT TB. Just give it a go please. I need to hear some developer opinion. Please don't take the copout, of "it will be good if done well," unless you absolutely see a way to do it in IE style challenge.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Captain Shrek

No idea. I really didn't pay much attention to combat. It's RTwP. I doubt they can make it worse and I doubt they can make it better. So, stamina, cooldowns, whatever, fine with me. Anyway, since you've asked, I'll go and read the update that mentioned stamina.

Edit:

In Project Eternity's combat, players need to be concerned with two elements of a character's vitality: Stamina and Health. The majority of damage a character takes is subtracted from his or her Stamina. Stamina represents how much general abuse a character can take before falling unconscious. Characters lose it quickly and regain it relatively rapidly, even without assistance. Soul-based abilities are able to help replenish or regenerate Stamina and are often used on the battlefield to turn the tide of combat. If a character hits 0 Stamina, he or she is knocked out. Intervention from another character can bring an unconscious character back into a fight.

For players, the Health of their party members is a tether that makes them consider how far they are willing to venture from a safe resting spot. Though Health is typically lost at a lower rate, when the PC or a companion hits 0 Health, he or she is maimed (in standard play) or killed (in Expert mode or as an option in standard play). Magic may help mitigate damage to Health and slow the tide, but once characters have died (in Expert mode), there is no known magic that can bring them back.
Is this all that's known about stamina or is there more?

The way it's described above, I don't like it at all. It sounds kind of convoluted. Or like a cheap way to please both camps. To hardcore gamers: don't worry guys, health is serious business, you can be maimed or even die! To Bio fans and casuals: we have great news for you! health-regen is in!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SoZ was a magnificent game shrouded in a shit engine. It just wasn't cut out for open world maps and random encounters. Volourn didn't like it due to a lack of romance options. Also, SoZ had an amazing soundtrack.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
IMO, Sozzy is one for the good ideas, shit game thread. The lack of resources and the NWN2 engine would always mean Obsidian was fighting an uphill battle to create a good open world adventure romp. Still, they did what they could.

Captain Shrek

Captain Shrek

No idea. I really didn't pay much attention to combat. It's RTwP. I doubt they can make it worse and I doubt they can make it better. So, stamina, cooldowns, whatever, fine with me. Anyway, since you've asked, I'll go and read the update that mentioned stamina.

Edit:

In Project Eternity's combat, players need to be concerned with two elements of a character's vitality: Stamina and Health. The majority of damage a character takes is subtracted from his or her Stamina. Stamina represents how much general abuse a character can take before falling unconscious. Characters lose it quickly and regain it relatively rapidly, even without assistance. Soul-based abilities are able to help replenish or regenerate Stamina and are often used on the battlefield to turn the tide of combat. If a character hits 0 Stamina, he or she is knocked out. Intervention from another character can bring an unconscious character back into a fight.

For players, the Health of their party members is a tether that makes them consider how far they are willing to venture from a safe resting spot. Though Health is typically lost at a lower rate, when the PC or a companion hits 0 Health, he or she is maimed (in standard play) or killed (in Expert mode or as an option in standard play). Magic may help mitigate damage to Health and slow the tide, but once characters have died (in Expert mode), there is no known magic that can bring them back.
Is this all that's known about stamina or is there more?

The way it's described above, I don't like it at all. It sounds kind of convoluted. Or like a cheap way to please both camps. To hardcore gamers: don't worry guys, health is serious business, you can be maimed or even die! To Bio fans and casuals: we have great news for you! health-regen is in!

There is an example:

I have to say I honestly did not expect this to be confusing to anyone. Here's an example. Bob the Fighter has 32 Stamina and 30 Health. He gets hit by a number of attacks that subtract 25 Stamina and 5 health (leaving him with 8 Stamina and 25 Health). He is a fighter, so he chooses to use one of his abilities to regenerate Stamina. He does this and quickly bounces from 8 Stamina to 15. Unfortunately, he gets smacked again for 20 Stamina and 4 Health. He is knocked out (effectively 0 Stamina) and at 21 Health. The guys who knocked him out move to other targets.

Francine the priest casts restore stamina on Bob when combat is over. He recovers to full Stamina quickly, but is still at 21 Health. Depending on how the next few fights go, they will either have to retreat to rest or find a safe resting spot up ahead.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I highly doubt Project Eternity ends up with music as good as SoZ, and I gotta admit that bugs me a little. I hope I'm wrong though. Still, it's goddamn unbelievable to me how many people bring up Jeremy Soule for music. He had a few good pieces in his prime but man has he gotten bland over the years. The mediocre filler tracks Obsidian used for their kickstarter was leagues better than that dude's current stuff.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
One significant factor in all of the IE RTwP games was AD&D 2nd, or 3E in the case of IWD2. TSR and WoTC designed those systems to be fully turn-based; they were adapted for RTwP. Personally, I consider AD&D 2nd and 3E to be utter shit (as turn-based gaming systems) even when they're played on the tabletop as intended, but then again tactical gaming was never the main focus of D&D... which is a tad ironic, since TSR is an acronym for Tactical Studies Rules.

I digress: A made-from-scratch RTwP system could end up being decent, for once, unhampered by being adopted from a turn-based system which is also shit even when used as a turn-based system. I believe it's possible. It still annoys the shit out of me that people consider turn-based systems to be "outdated," in much the same way they consider 2D graphics to be "outdated." There have been 3D graphics (wireframes, etc.) almost as long as there have been 2D graphics, and real-time electronic games are almost as old as turn-based electronic games. It's a matter of which style works best for a particular game.

But no, everything has to be full HD brownbloom. Preaching to the choir here, I'm sure.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The SoZ theme is clearly been 'influenced' by Conan the Barbarian soundtack.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I highly doubt Project Eternity ends up with music as good as SoZ, and I gotta admit that bugs me a little. I hope I'm wrong though. Still, it's goddamn unbelievable to me how many people bring up Jeremy Soule for music. He had a few good pieces in his prime but man has he gotten bland over the years. The mediocre filler tracks Obsidian used for their kickstarter was leagues better than that dude's current stuff.

I think a lot of people bring him up because he's the only video game composer that a lot of people know about. That, and he's worked on some high-profile stuff recently (Skyrim, GW2) - which is also the main reason that I don't want him in PE, I've just heard too much of his music lately. I do love the Icewind Dale soundtrack, though.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Gorth in Obsidian forums:
Thread pruned a bit. Rather than locking it, I think it's time to address individuals privately...

Any of you got messages yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom