Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I also don't recall Baldur's Gate even having a turn-based mode. Did they even PLAY Baldur's Gate...
Of course they did.

Google Baldur's Gate and turn-based, enjoy the show. You can even add 'review', if you're feeling brave. From reviews:

"When Baldur's Gate was announced, die hard RPG fans wept when they heard that it would be real time rather than turn based. As it turns out, they had nothing to worry about. While in the middle of battle, you can pause and issue commands to your various party members, unpause and watch the carnage ensue. Is that approach not working? Pause, issue new commands, and unpause! Its a nice combination of Real-Time and Turn Based gameplay. The militant masses have been appeased."

"Also, you can activate features that will automatically pause your game when attacked, or automatically do so after each round of combat. This means that you could effectively make Baldur's Gate into an entirely turn-based combat system, which will have incredible appeal to those who dislike real-time battles."

"Having the game pause after every round of combat closely mirrors the gameplay of the tabletop versions of D&D, and makes Baldur's Gate feel very much like a turn based strategy game."

"Baldur's Gate 2 is a D&D-based CRPG with a third-person birdseye interface. You control and develop a six-person party of which one character is your protagonist and the other five are chosen from a group of 18 NPC's each with his or her own voiceset, personality, and agenda. The plot is a role-playing adventure and there are fantasy, horror, psychological, and relationship themes. The game is untimed and requires no manual dexterity. Combat is turn-based."

"...the superb turn-based auto-pause combat" (emphasis not mine)

"The gameplay continues the Baldur's Gate tradition and offers a truly thrilling experience. When I was playing the first game, I was a bit confused by the real time/turn based mixed combat system and by the seemingly rigid and one-sided AD&D rules."

"The only problem is that Baldur’s Gate was an amazing game – a real-time turn-based RPG..."

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Seriously, I was critically hit in my IQ, average as it is already, for massive damage, spelling and grammar mistakes notwithstanding. If they want a BioWare game, why don't they petition BioWare or wait for Dragon Age 300 to come out?

Because they want every game to be a Bioware game? They do not now any better, the poor sods.

I am not going to knock on BioWare games, but sometimes I just want to point and shout "Look! BioWare is just around the corner, if you want a game just like theirs, please go over there and kindly ask them for it. I am sure they'll be more than happy to oblige."

If people like and want to play BioWare-style RPGs (tecnhically speaking they are RPGs but let's not get into that debate :D ), cool, more power to them. I just want to play non-BioWare RPG games made by the masters of old while they are still around and passionate about making hard-core RPGs. I have faith that the guys behind this project know their audience and will do what is right by them, and by them I mean us :D.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
JudasIscariot I'm sure you've noticed that a large segment of Bioware's fanbase feels betrayed by the direction they've taken in recent years. They don't have a home to return to...at least not until the Save Bioware Kickstarter. :smug:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
I also don't recall Baldur's Gate even having a turn-based mode. Did they even PLAY Baldur's Gate...
Of course they did.

Google Baldur's Gate and turn-based, enjoy the show. You can even add 'review', if you're feeling brave. From reviews:

"Its a nice combination of Real-Time and Turn Based gameplay. The militant masses have been appeased."

"make Baldur's Gate into an entirely turn-based combat system, which will have incredible appeal to those who dislike real-time battles."

" feel very much like a turn based strategy game."

"...the superb turn-based auto-pause combat" (emphasis not mine)

"The only problem is that Baldur’s Gate was an amazing game – a real-time turn-based RPG..."

So many oxymorons and false statements quoted...

So, just out of curiosity, how many first-borns do I have to sacrifice to ensure Age of Decadence gets made? Don't worry about the procurement of the first-borns :D

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Awesome Buttan was not Awesome enough? Do enlighten me of this "direction" you speak of...
Actually Awesome Button is exactly the direction. Large number of Bioware's fanbase were dissatisfied with DA2 and ME2+3, because it was then their time to face the ever changing definition of an RPG. What they were doing to the old school RPG fans has in turn been done to them and they are none too happy about it. You may see lot of the feature they are requesting as a dumbed down bullshit but they see it as a return to the glory days when you could play the true RPGs that were complexly TB while also in real time.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
The Awesome Buttan was not Awesome enough? Do enlighten me of this "direction" you speak of...
Actually Awesome Button is exactly the direction. Large number of Bioware's fanbase were dissatisfied with DA2 and ME2+3, because it was then their time to face the ever changing definition of an RPG. What they were doing to the old school RPG fans has in turn been done to them and they are none too happy about it. You may see lot of the feature they are requesting as a dumbed down bullshit but they see it as a return to the glory days when you could play the true RPGs that were complexly TB while also in real time.

I still fail to see how there was anything remotely turn-based, as I know it, in a real-time-with-pause game. Call it splitting hairs or whatnot, but it's not turn-based no matter what some "review" says :D.

Also, it's about time those of us who remember proper turn-based got our time in the sun again, so to speak :D

Nigro

Educated
"Lets leave out the tedious stuff that many people find boring/frustrating. Regenerating health/mana/spells - I prefer this type, there should still be potions/magic to heal and help things along but having to run to an inn to heal/regenerate mana is tedious and boring. Then you go out and five minutes you have to come back and rest again."

"And no one wants them to do a science-fiction RPG because.... Mass Effect exists."

"I do not like game play artifacts like the 'Spirit Eater' in MoTB. That stuff interferes negatively with the adventuring experience."

"Oh, and another annoying thing is permenant party death, its not fun having a party member down and having to bring a reserection potion to bring them back, knock them out and as long as one member is alive at the end of the fight, bring them all back. It is ONE thing I think DA2 did right."

"Yeah, Skyrim = Empty, soulless and boring world, boring fetch quests and a terrible story. bla bla bla. "
Really? The problem is the story, not the implementation? A Northern Frozen Land where a long-dead group of heroes lost their lives saving their country from a war against humanity waged by dragons ended the war through magic with unforeseen consequences which has led to to one of the demigod dragons to appear in the present and wage a new war against humanity. That's a bad story?"

"Whats the problem with realtime? Quite often in rpg:s you find yourself fighting trashmobs or being overpowered. In situation like that it would be tedious to fight turnbased every time. It sucks and are no fun at all. In BG i saved the turnbased for more challenging fights that needed more tactic to win and blaste through trashmobs in realtime. That system was perfect. Some of us want to move on in the story in a decent pace. A too combat system game is no fun at all because it breaks immersion and you loose track of the rpg element that should be the focus of the gaming experience."
Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

Deleted member 7219

The huge drop off is because everyone gave all their money after hearing about it and it's been funded. Obsidian did kind of sell the dream of old school nostalgia. So now that the game has been "fully funded" why should they give anything else? W2 slowed down a bit too after reaching their goal.

Obsidian asked for too little. If the goal were 2 million then it probably would have kept going strong until 2 million. I'm guessing they need at least 2, probably 3 million, to make a good game. 1.1 million isn't going to do it, and that's why all these details sound so bad because people think they can make a good game with lots of stuff for 1.1 million. It's crazy. Dragon Age only has 3 classes. Diablo 3 only had 5 classes, even though Diablo 2 with expansion had 7.

The real goal should be to get them to 3 million, because I bet that's what they really need. If they release a bare bones RPG that isn't well received, people are going to think kickstarter sucks and probably never donate again.

For someone without an avatar, you speak a whole lot of sense. Brofisted.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I agree with that mod. The Obsidian boards aren't the Codex.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Utd40.jpg

jesus christ. some people really got perpetual proctalgia fulax.

For some people the urge to tell others what they can say and do is stronger than their sex drive. The smart ones end up as paid politicians. The stupid ones end up as unpaid lackeys doing the dirty work on forums run by various companies and corporations.

Nigro

Educated
My experience with the mods from that board, is that they are actually pretty reasonable, I've posted some stuff that offended some people and they just sent me a PM and said to take it easy, in lots of other boards I would have been banned already.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My experience with the mods from that board, is that they are actually pretty reasonable, I've posted some stuff that offended some people and they just sent me a PM and said to take it easy, in lots of other boards I would have been banned already.

I guess I was harsh against that particular moderator, but I got increasingly more annoyed at the moderators at the Bethesda boards with their "we are not allowed to talk about that" or "this is slightly off topic, but I will allow it for now, but I will monitor the discussion" and stuff like that.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bring in BioWare or Other Legendary Designers as Stretch Goal

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...or-other-legendary-designers-as-stretch-goal/

:mhd:

ITZ TIME FOR GAIDERADE.
The poll is vehemently in favour of the "fuck off" position.

I guess I was harsh against that particular moderator, but I got increasingly more annoyed at the moderators at the Bethesda boards with their "we are not allowed to talk about that" or "this is slightly off topic, but I will allow it for now, but I will monitor the discussion" and stuff like that.

They really are rather laid back, I did not even get a warning for calling BG:EE a money grabbing abortion, just a friendly PM from a mod. It's not the 120 Days of Sodom as the Codex is but it's not the 1984 of the Bethesda forums either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom