Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

catfood

AGAIN
Baldur's Gate 1 or 2
3751 46.4%
Planescape: Torment
3105 38.4%
Call of Duty
466 5.8%
Icewind Dale 1 or 2
403 5%
Temple of Elemental Evil
359 4.4%

This is why we can't have nice things.

Hegel

Arcane
Did you play it with mods shrek?

:lol:

So it was NOT fun vanilla?

Nice flip flop considering the context of the discussion. I am quite sure a lot of people may have (although I did not) enjoyed things (not combat) in F3 with mods too.
:lol:
Try as you might, but the combat ranged from horribly easy to challenging (especially the boss at the highest difficulty level, many codexers were turned into whiny bitches) and fun, especially when you found some nice area during your explorations.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, like anyone would expect anything else from a forum/fanbase made of Biodrones.

Also, can't vote.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Try as you might, but the combat ranged from horribly easy to challenging (especially the boss at the highest difficulty level, many codexers were turned into whiny bitches) and fun, especially when you found some nice area during your explorations.

There was no nice area in SoZ. And the only challenging combat was the end boss.
Just like the rest of the game, the combat could have been good if it didn't suck.

MCA
Someone summarize this thread for me.
Obsidian is doing a He-Man RG called Project Eternia. Jaesun is going all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4 over it. The rest of this thread is Vots trolling, Captain Shrek being retarded and lots of others being even more retarded by giving Vots and Shrek attention (and some inane rambling/one-liners). That should sum up 370 pages of this thread.
Now it's your job to find the 4 pages of quality posts in this thread. Get working :troll:

I am offended that you think I was trolling.

But an entertaining post nonetheless. Your sins are forgiven.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That poll has been there since the Kickstarter was opened. Don't see the point of voting on it now unless it's to bring Call of Duty to the top.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Do you remember Obsidian doing something similar ever in their games?
Yes, Alpha Protocol. :troll:

Where? It was dialog impacting gameplay and not the other way round. Ok there was that one, single instance when if you managed to finish the level with stealth you got more data... which weren't really that much useful for you. Nice job - one flavour shit that's useless to everyone - so it wasn't even well done.

Also the example of Alpha Protocol only strengthens my claim that their games are lacking and not thought-through. How about an example of gameplay mechanics working and not sucking arse (e.g. compare AP stealth to Mark of the Ninja - a platformer stealth game. Sorry to say but MotN wins - there's no contest).

One more thing: this time around they are going to have all that excelent quality story with tactical RTwP combat. I am really wondering how they are going to combine water and fire, because they haven't really shown they can accomplish that yet.

Captain Shrek

Why do you people think it's impossible to have good narrative and combat at the same time?
It is not. It's that few seem to be up to the task.

That's exactly what I am thinking. The problem is few people even attempt to integrate both. I want that to happen, but it just doesn't. No one bothers.

It does not happen because there is no real market for it. There are niches but they are drying up apparently.

Mrowak

Arcane
Well, you just gave these fuckers 4 million so they better do.

They have no obligation to. In fact they did not promise anything like it. Moreover, even the most enthusiastic Codexers here have stated that they would be fine with a BG2 clone (as if BG2 something ambitious to aspire to).

In fact I asked a question about it at reddit and here, but it met with "meh" attitude:

[...]My question is: how will you approach those two radically different types of gameplay in PE and how would you mesh them together into coherent whole that would not defy each other? Can we hope that combat will have bearing on the story (e.g. your performance in combat, or achieving one of many combat objectives can change the course of the plot)? Can we hope that the objectives you achieve withing the scope of the story will change combat parameters (e.g. who you fight against, what for, and what far reaching consequnces of engagement in combat will be?)?

Mrowak

Arcane
Why do you people think it's impossible to have good narrative and combat at the same time?
It is not. It's that few seem to be up to the task.

That's exactly what I am thinking. The problem is few people even attempt to integrate both. I want that to happen, but it just doesn't. No one bothers.

It does not happen because there is no real market for it. There are niches but they are drying up apparently.

What really worries me is that even here, at the 'Dex people don't seem to want it, with all the fans claiming "if it's going to be like BG2, it will suffice". We both know that it will not - at least for us.

Leimreу

Novice
For people who found SoZ too easy: you should really play the SoZ Holiday Expansion mod from the NWN Vault. It's a good little mod that adds new locations and a really challenging encounter to the game, something on the level of Tactics Improved Irenicus, difficulty wise. As for that Obsidian poll, I feel that PE should draw from all of these games at once, instead of trying to be similar to some single game. IWD and BG (especially 2) games had pretty good combat, but weren't really good RPGs. Same can be said about ToEE. It would be nice if they took inspiration from these games when designing the combat encounters while at the same time making the non combat roleplaying part similar to MotB or PST.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you remember Obsidian doing something similar ever in their games?
Yes, Alpha Protocol. :troll:

Where? It was dialog impacting gameplay and not the other way round. Ok there was that one, single instance when if you managed to finish the level with stealth you got more data... which weren't really that much useful for you. Nice job - one flavour shit that's useless to everyone - so it wasn't even well done.

Also the example of Alpha Protocol only strengthens my claim that their games are lacking and not thought-through. How about an example of gameplay mechanics working and not sucking arse (e.g. compare AP stealth to Mark of the Ninja - a platformer stealth game. Sorry to say but MotN wins - there's no contest).

One more thing: this time around they are going to have all that excelent quality story with tactical RTwP combat. I am really wondering how they are going to combine water and fire, because they haven't really shown they can accomplish that yet.
Hey, cool down buddy. I was obviously joking. :) I know that AP is not a good example.

I don't expect anything spectacular from Obsidian in terms of combat, since as I've said, I'm not a combatfag.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61703-4-mil-stretch-goal-hit-hire-malukah/

So they hit the 4 million mark, which means we're getting live orchestal music with what I am sure is going to be an awesome game that I am very pumped for. In all honesty, the only other game I've been more pumped for is Skyrim. I think Obsidian and Bethesda have a good relationship so I don't feel bad mentioning a competitor.

Speaking of Skyrim, remember Malukah? She put out a great . . no . . amazing cover of "Dragonborn Comes". Remember how much the internet flipped over that? They loved it.

Would it not be great for not only Malulah, whose voice I think it at the very least if I'm being pessimistic is good enough to warrant appearing in a game, but also publicity for Obsidian, if they hired her to do some sort of work for Project Eternity? I'm not impling it needs to be a fully companion character (though I wouldn't be opposed to it, depending on her acting skills) but even if they had her sing to a single track the internet would spread that word around and bring even more popularity to Project Eternity, and Maluka would benefit from the exposure.

To me, it's a win\win. What do you think?

:hmmm:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61703-4-mil-stretch-goal-hit-hire-malukah/

So they hit the 4 million mark, which means we're getting live orchestal music with what I am sure is going to be an awesome game that I am very pumped for. In all honesty, the only other game I've been more pumped for is Skyrim. I think Obsidian and Bethesda have a good relationship so I don't feel bad mentioning a competitor.

Speaking of Skyrim, remember Malukah? She put out a great . . no . . amazing cover of "Dragonborn Comes". Remember how much the internet flipped over that? They loved it.

Would it not be great for not only Malulah, whose voice I think it at the very least if I'm being pessimistic is good enough to warrant appearing in a game, but also publicity for Obsidian, if they hired her to do some sort of work for Project Eternity? I'm not impling it needs to be a fully companion character (though I wouldn't be opposed to it, depending on her acting skills) but even if they had her sing to a single track the internet would spread that word around and bring even more popularity to Project Eternity, and Maluka would benefit from the exposure.

To me, it's a win\win. What do you think?

:hmmm:
:neveraskedforthis:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom