Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Captain Shrek

:lol:

Pace yourself. You won't last until 2014 at this rate.

Underrail, Eisenwald, MORE, Xenonauts, planetary annihilation, AOD, dead state etc. I think I will do fine. If your idea of great games is masochism, I have no problem. Go right ahead.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, I was hoping Merin would write another wall of text to defend the decline. Good post either way, Jarpie. :bro:

Captain Shrek

I meant your raging over PE.

A game I intend to play anyway just because MCA is writing. I always thought that the combat in PST and VMTB was shit. Or the story for dark messiah was shit. But the good factors outweigh the bad ones. I recognize that. I am not going to delude myself however that the bad is somehow made good just because it's my favorite developer. I can live with this.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the codex could use this emoticon
wowey4.gif

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just want to briefly interject that I wasn't even mentioning the combat when I was praising the game; I'm not saying the PE combat should be anything like DS. But if the quality of the world, of the greater whole matched it that'd be tremendous.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm so tired of this. Either you can realize that there are amazing games outside of the CRPG-bubble and you enjoy them or you don't. This game stands easily among the ranks of a PS:T, a KOTC, a Fallout; it's the PS:T of console third person experiences: mature, treating you like an adult, quiet, philosophical, earnest, dignified, resting in itself and at ease with what it tries to be. It is whole. Games like this are one in a thousand.

You don't rate games based on what genre they are; you rate them by their own merits in their respective genre. I'm not going to criticize Citizen Kane for not being a very good romantic comedy.

bminorkey

Frankly I don't see them getting much concrete inspiration from Dark Souls. The game takes a very minimalistic, show-not-tell approach to narration and mood-setting. A dialogue & story-driven game is almost the antithesis of that.

The entire (fairly impressive) story of the DLC content is inferred from, what, 3 item descriptions and about a dozen lines of dialogue?

Captain Shrek

I'm so tired of this. Either you can realize that there are amazing games outside of the CRPG-bubble and you enjoy them or you don't. This game stands easily among the ranks of a PS:T, a KOTC, a Fallout; it's the PS:T of console third person experiences: mature, treating you like an adult, quiet, philosophical, earnest, dignified, resting in itself and at ease with what it tries to be. It is whole. Games like this are one in a thousand.

You don't rate games based on what genre they are; you rate them by their own merits in their respective genre. I'm not going to criticize Citizen Kane for not being a very good romantic comedy.

You do realize that your attitude is retarded right?

Of course there are better games outside CRPG bubble. No one (I hope) says that CRPGs are the only and best. THe problem is forcing one genre to be another.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Frankly I don't see them getting much concrete inspiration from Dark Souls. The game takes a very minimalistic, show-not-tell approach to narration and mood-setting. A dialogue & story-driven game is almost the antithesis of that.

Oh, there's a lot they can take. The best inspiration they could take is to make everything click with itself. Game mechanics, lore, level design, encounter design, music, atmosphere, architecture, etc.: the Souls games do it with such perfect feng shui that it is nothing but admirable. That's something that can and should be taken by everyone. Every aspect of the game needs to work and enhance each other, like one big machine. The anti of this would be the boss encounters in DE:HR. Developed by a different company who obviously didn't know what the main game was going to be like. They feel completely out of place from the rest of the game and shit on pretty much the whole design that the game was building on up until that point.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron

You do realize that your attitude is retarded right?

Of course there are better games outside CRPG bubble. No one (I hope) says that CRPGs are the only and best. THe problem is forcing one genre to be another.

Nobody is forcing that; I was merely pointing out that the non-combat parts of Dark Souls would make a brilliant inspiration for PE. I never said anything about using its game mechanics except for the resting which is something I'd do if I made my own game. That's all I am trying to put across.

bminorkey

Oh, there's a lot they can take. The best inspiration they could take is to make everything click with itself. Game mechanics, lore, level design, encounter design, music, atmosphere, architecture, etc.: the Souls games do it with such perfect feng shui that it is nothing but admirable. That's something that can and should be taken by everyone. Every aspect of the game needs to work and enhance each other, like one big machine. The anti of this would be the boss encounters in DE:HR. Developed by a different company who obviously didn't know what the main game was going to be like. They feel completely out of place from the rest of the game and shit on pretty much the whole design that the game was building on up until that point.

Yeah, but that's not very concerete is it? It's looking at some people's vision and saying, wow, I want to create something as amazing as that.

Although perhaps it's just as well.

PS. No one can stop the Dark Souls legion. Not even you, Jaesun. It's all too late. All too late.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Yeah, but that's not very concerete is it? It's looking at some people's vision and saying, wow, I want to create something as amazing as that.

Although perhaps it's just as well.

Well, yeah. That's what inspiration is sometimes. There are two kinds of inspirations in this world. One is "I want to be like that" and the other "I want to be that". They don't have to create Dark Souls again, and they shouldn't, but they should look at it as a whole and consider that everything about it is finely crafted and tuned to create a consistent experience throughout the whole game without deviating from what it is.
This may seem to be a simple concept. Like, duh, of course you make a game where everything works off of each other. But the sad truth is that video games aren't like this anymore. Triple A games are made by hundreds maybe even thousands of people. One person animates individual blades of grass, someone makes dialogue for NPCs 1, 5 and 13. Then after all these pieces have been made some guy will glue them all together to make you a majestic cinematic experience. Also, in big companies like EA it's not strange that people working on the same project aren't allowed to talk to each other about what they are doing. i.e grass animator can't tell dialogue man what his involvement in the project is. This creates an inconsistency because no one knows what the fuck is going with what. Not even the project leads know because there's like 10 different visionary leads in each project and everyone has their own idea of what the game should be like.

fake edit: and of course size doesn't really matter. Even with a team of 5 people you can still fuck it up and make a game that has conflicting elements.

Captain Shrek

Nobody is forcing that; I was merely pointing out that the non-combat parts of Dark Souls would make a brilliant inspiration for PE. I never said anything about using its game mechanics except for the resting which is something I'd do if I made my own game. That's all I am trying to put across.

The rest mechanics in an action game makes sense for a tactical CRPG? Since when?

The rest mechanics of DS is built around the concept o punishing players for resting, an activity that is necessary in game with a twich based difficulty where your tactics are NOT the same type as CRPGs.

The resting in CRPGs ought be different since in those games tactics refer to not twitch but rather planning out and assessing more slowly.

Now of course if you want a CRPG to become ARPG you will be forced to change the mechanics to suit it.

This is exactly what I am referring to.

IE games needed frequent rest because of poor encounter design. Don't allow rest and allocate resources and the mechanics in its current form was fine.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I don't want to live anymore."

After reading a few posts of that oevr there Jasede I'm ashamed to know you as a Codexer. You got skooled by a pro romancer in that thread. *shudder.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Nevertheless, it's totally gross how men on the internet just have to comment on a woman's appearance whenever they see one. Whatta buncha losers"

Yeha, because only men do that. Are you fukkin' retarted?

LivingOne

Savant
I so want to strangle that RetardedSaint every time I read him:x .
At first I didn't care but now I so hope VD is wrong about the 18 months dev-time not being enough.Having to deal with biotards and lawful-stupid moderators even longer is an horrible thought.

And yeah DS is awesome.I think the way it deals with dungeons(how they're interconnetted and how they gradually change taking you from an abandoned castle to an underground swamp)might be a good source of ispiration for the mega-dungeon.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes it is. A hilariously stupid, but FUN movie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom