Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

DraQ

Arcane
I would actually go with a four-tiered system.

I would use Stamina, Fatigue, Health, and Morale.

Morale would be depleted at a moderate pace, and it would be damaged by actions or taking hits. It would represent the psychological fatigue or stamina (health) of your character. You would need time or resting to recover this, or perhaps spells/songs and encouraging words.

This would also help to better emulate the realities of actual combat and adventure, in which it is much more realistic to encourage and inspire your allies during battle to keep them performing at peak capacity. You could help restore Morale temporarily by using "encouragement" on each other, etc.

I think this would be a great system too -- sort of an extension of Draq's.
I'd make morale completely separate. It would be modified by fatigue and damage, and it would modify ability to perform actions effectively, but it wouldn't be much of a resource pool to be managed. Instead it would be modified by leader's charisma (if alive, for extreme values also after his death), own willpower, estimated advantage - a function returning appropriately weighted difference of sums of relative individual strength (stats + gear) over all combatants of both sides, and estimated course of the battle up to this moment - difference of appropriately weighted sums of damage caused to both sides, each divided by their overall strength.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I would actually go with a four-tiered system.

I would use Stamina, Fatigue, Health, and Morale.

Morale would be depleted at a moderate pace, and it would be damaged by actions or taking hits. It would represent the psychological fatigue or stamina (health) of your character. You would need time or resting to recover this, or perhaps spells/songs and encouraging words.

This would also help to better emulate the realities of actual combat and adventure, in which it is much more realistic to encourage and inspire your allies during battle to keep them performing at peak capacity. You could help restore Morale temporarily by using "encouragement" on each other, etc.

I think this would be a great system too -- sort of an extension of Draq's.
I'd make morale completely separate. It would be modified by fatigue and damage, and it would modify ability to perform actions effectively, but it wouldn't be much of a resource pool to be managed. Instead it would be modified by leader's charisma (if alive, for extreme values also after his death), own willpower, estimated advantage - a function returning appropriately weighted difference of sums of relative individual strength (stats + gear) over all combatants of both sides, and estimated course of the battle up to this moment - difference of appropriately weighted sums of damage caused to both sides, each divided by their overall strength.
Wow, you thought I was serious. :hmmm:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Now for something relevant, but equally inane

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61689-i-want-to-apologize-on-behalf-of-the-internet/

Seeing the terrible harassment in the live stream comments last night made me cringe. I'd just like the Obsidian staff to know we're not all horribly misogynistic, racist, socially-stunted a-holes and we are sorry you had to see that.

Sincerely,
Hopefully the majority of your backers

Where's Surf Solar and Roguey? Have they posted their thoughts on this yet?

:smug:

I'm not a backer so I don't really care, heh. But it's good to know how easily one can step into the "omg you misogonyst!11" trap, a lesson I already learned with my own games demo.

The funniest thing is, that it's mostly not even women who cry out for this stuff, but males. :retarded:
Salty is a woman, you can just fuck right off back to your insane emotional rollercoaster relationship "pal."

I wasn't even talking specifically about this "Salty" lass.

Look, its funny that you rage about me when I am most of the time the first one to whiteknight some women in real life. I just dont see the point of rage against this stream or some comments in the chat there, no one took it serious, no one was offended, except for some random watchers on the stream. If someone would yell "take of your shirt ololo" constantly to some girl in real life, yes, then I could understand the anger. But here? Oo

Btw your snide remark doesnt work when there is no "rollercoaster" or relationship to speak of. :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Look, its funny that you rage about me when I am most of the time the first one to whiteknight some women in real life.
Ah, a fauxgressive.

I just dont see the point of rage against this stream or some comments in the chat there, no one took it serious, no one was offended, except for some random watchers on the stream. If someone would yell "take of your shirt ololo" constantly to some girl in real life, yes, then I could understand the anger. But here? Oo
Some people can still be offended by something and not show it because they're conditioned to not want to "rock the boat." Don't pretend you know what's going on in the minds of other people.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
If someone there would have been offended by it, would they have danced infront of the camera then?

fauxgressive

:lol:

Truly I am just pretending while I let my dirty fantasies out on the webz, right?!?!?!

No, I just don't blow stuff always out of proportions when it fits into my "agenda"

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
People who make a living on entertaining others gotta grow thick skins. It's pretty much a requirement. Roguey's just being a (mediocre) troll as usual. :roll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If someone there would have been offended by it, would they have danced infront of the camera then?
I wasn't paying much attention but I doubt they all danced. Nevertheless, it's totally gross how men on the internet just have to comment on a woman's appearance whenever they see one. Whatta buncha losers.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wasn't paying much attention but I doubt they all danced. Nevertheless, it's totally gross how men on the internet just have to comment on a woman's appearance whenever they see one. Whatta buncha losers.

Don't be jealous, I'm sure you're cute too. Just post a picture and we'll tell you.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus

Don't be jealous, I'm sure you're cute too. Just post a picture and we'll tell you.

Indeed! As men, we have the duty of spreading our seed, instead of just talking about it. Who's up for a road trip to Irvine, California?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

You mean just like the comments on the stream demanding avellone, sawyer or that black guy to take their shirts off? Or is it just normal in that case? :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You mean just like the comments on the stream demanding avellone, sawyer or that black guy to take their shirts off? Or is it just normal in that case? :smug:
Men can easily assert themselves if they feel uncomfortable about receiving compliments. There's no stigma attached to it.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Lol, now that I think about it, there was even a guy who kept asking for MCA to pull his cock out. Didn't know Jaesun had an account on twitch.tv.

:lol:

PosledniKovboj

Scholar
28675998.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ah, so whatever we "men" do, we do it wrong, right? That's quite a nice argument you have there.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I actually find green to be an abhorrent shirt color. :roll:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
I'm wearing an abhorrent green shirt right now. It's a M.A.S.H shirt I got from Walmart last year for $5. Needless to say it has been torn and stained beyond recognition, but I still have a soft spot for it.

:love:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually find green to be an abhorrent shirt color.

I once had an old green t-shirt (you know the kind where the cotton is unimaginably soft?) and I wore it for years. Right up until the collar was no longer attached to the shirt on the right side and various belt buckles had made swiss cheese out of the belly. It's funny though...I can't imagine myself wearing a colorful shirt to save my life these days. Mostly greys, whites and blacks. Does this reflect my aging nihilist attitude I wonder? When I was younger the world seemed so much more...

*ahem*

So any good threads over yonder in Obsidianland? Thinking about taking a looksee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom