Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So.. the Codex has agreed to help fund a ME clone!!! Talk about 'old skool'! :P
Retards gonna retard. Volly' gona Volly.

jewboy

Arbiter
It sounds like there are going to be two different types of damage: lethal and nonlethal. I still don't understand the point of this except as a way to make the game easier for casuals or console kiddies. Although if Stamina drains quickly enough it would end up dominating. It also depends on how long stamina takes to regen.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Retards gonna retard. Volly' gona Volly"

Prove my points wrong.... Oh yeah, you can't.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
My points are right.

ME series and PE have two major things in common (amongst others). ME series is a 'modern' (action) rpg. PE claims to be trying to go 'old skool' akin to 90s games.

PE currently plans to have two 'health' bars EXACTLY like ME series which none of the IE games (or FO or TOEE) has.

PE currently plans to ONLY give xp for quest compltion which non of the IE games, FO, or TOEE does but ME2 has the system.

Hence PE is more like the 'modern' new skool rpg ME2 than the IE games, FO, or TOEE.

Case closed.

Codex is funding a fantasy ME2 clone.

How do you like those turnips, Codextards?

LMFAO

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Valiant traveler Marceror has visited Obsidian again. This time they let him :smug: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61...ject-eternity-information-guide/#entry1254472

Thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks Tigranes for linking this to your thread.

I was fortunate enough to interview Adam Brennecke at the Obsidian offices today about the game, and managed to come away with a couple of new details that haven't been shared publicly yet. I'll be updating my guide with those details soon enough, and posting the interview responses at sorcerers.net.

Cheers!

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like I missed out on details about the stamina / health system. Obviously for people to call it an energy shield Obsidian must have announced that :
  • Stamina will recharge very fast after a few seconds without being hit
  • Stamina needs to be depleted before health is hit.
  • Depleting stamina will not knock you down.
  • If you play well, you'll never take but stamina damage.
Can someone provide me a link to those statements ?

Arkadin

Arcane
I wish they were thinking of an Arcanum-like system where certain weapons and spells damage fatigue/stamina and certain ones damage health. Then if you have certain actions draining stamina (like spell-casting and use of heavy weapons) it becomes a little more strategic and reasonable for stamina to regen. I don't think it was a perfect in Arcanum, but a friend of mine has adapted it for his own dungeon crawler (without any automatic regen--you can eat to regain stamina but can only gain health outside of dungeons), and it's a really fun mechanic.

almondblight

Arcane
That's NOT how DnD HP is supposed to work, fuck face. Ignorant peices of shit spamming nonsense when they do not know of which they speak. :(

How is that not how it worked in any of the IE games? A mage at 1% health can move and cast just as fine as one at 100% health. The only negative effects occur when the shield goes down.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I looooove how people are looking to console trash like Dark Souls for ideas for PE. Hilarious :mhd:

Grimlorn

Arcane
I don't think Dark Souls would work for this kind of game. To include respawning at campsites you'd have to remove any exp gained from mobs and make it all objective based which I guess they are doing anyway. That way you couldn't simply farm trash encounters and get too overpowered. On the other hand I don't think people would enjoy it. In DS you can run past those trash encounters whenever you want. I think it would be difficult in a IE type game to run past all the encounters. Mobs would still chase you around the large caves in IWD. In DS after you move far enough out the mobs will simply go back to their starting spot similar to a MMO.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks like I missed out on details about the stamina / health system. Obviously for people to call it an energy shield Obsidian must have announced that :
  • Stamina will recharge very fast after a few seconds without being hit
  • Stamina needs to be depleted before health is hit.
  • Depleting stamina will not knock you down.
  • If you play well, you'll never take but stamina damage.
Can someone provide me a link to those statements ?
I don't know why you can't scan the last pages for the relevant quote which has been copy and pasted at the very least five times. Because I am in a good mood - a fancy 200$ dinner, a lovely evening at the ACT theater, a delicious dessert at the Seattle center along with a double espresso, I will briefly summarize it for your benefit, or rather, answer your bullet points.

Also I do look dashing tonight, let me tell you!

[*]Stamina will recharge very fast after a few seconds without being hit
It has been said stamina will regenerate very quickly out of combat and can be restored in combat through class-specific abilities. No statement has been as to whether casting spells or using combat abilities or attacking depletes stamina.
[*]Stamina needs to be depleted before health is hit.
FALSE. Health will always be damaged. Stamina acts as a damage shield that will absorb a certain fraction of damage but some will always bleed through into health, from what we can make out from Sawyer's example.
[*]Depleting stamina will not knock you down.
FALSE. Depleting stamina will cause unconsciousness, but not death. You will get up after a fight and regenerate stamina. Your health stays the same and if your health reaches zero you die for good or become maimed on easier settings..
[*]If you play well, you'll never take but stamina damage.
FALSE. If you get hit you always take a certain amount of health damage from what we can make out from Sawyer's example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom