Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Tigranes

Arcane
Because, believe it or not, your definition of what constitutes "deserves deleting" or "all in good fun" differs from ours, and probably, half the other Codexers. If I listened to all the Codexers I would end up deleting, undeleting and deleting every other post. I think the current consolidation of romance threads is working OK for both 'sides'.

That said, I personally believe in putting my hand up if I'm wrong. If you see anything you think is retarded PM & link me over there. I may not agree with you but I do look and consider.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Because, believe it or not, your definition of what constitutes "deserves deleting" or "all in good fun" differs from ours, and probably, half the other Codexers. If I listened to all the Codexers I would end up deleting, undeleting and deleting every other post. I think the current consolidation of romance threads is working OK for both 'sides'.

That said, I personally believe in putting my hand up if I'm wrong. If you see anything you think is retarded PM & link me over there. I may not agree with you but I do look and consider.

Fair enough, it's probably just their passive-agressive style what tends to annoy us. Btw. is there any way of seeing in obsidian's forum if someone is ignoring you? Merin seems to have ignored me, but he does that basicly to everyone who disagrees with him.

GuybrushWilco

Educated
They are both perfectly acceptable answers. As a game, there is a strong argument for BGII, with it's better choices in skill progression, better combat and arguably better level design. I would say PS:T but only because I enjoyed that game the most, although that does not necessarily mean it is quantifiable the best 'game'. I personally feel that PS:T has the most memorable NPCs, and even though I like the characters in BGII a lot, it's hard to top Morte and Fall-From-Grace :).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's a very different, narrative-centric game which doesn't look like where P:E is going at all. PS:T is really exceptional among IE and oldskool party-based RPGs.

Torment is explicitly mentioned in Project Eternity's publicity text and showcased in one or more of their videos, so I think it's safe to say they have it in mind too.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PS:T is an IE game, so it is a source of inspiration too.

Well look at at that, the two IE games account for ~85% of what people chose.

It's a very different, narrative-centric game which doesn't look like where P:E is going at all. PS:T is really exceptional among IE and oldskool party-based RPGs.
I'm not sure about that. P:E is going to have a main character, it's going to limit party size near the beginning of the game, and it has MCA and Ziets writing for it.

DraQ

Arcane

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
When the titanic clash between DraQ and me finally erupts into some climactic battle I'll be sure to spare him so he may serve in my demesne.

Grimlorn

Arcane

I get that, but I think the point is the pro mancers make the same posts as the Codexers with the snide remarks but only the Codexers posts are getting deleted while the pro mancers are free to run their mouths the way they want.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
'Tis true and t'was the same at the Bethie boards even though they'd deny their bias through and through. Child, you can't lie like that. Of course the cutesykiddies are favored--they're essentially harmless to a corporate site in mods' eyes.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who cares if the mods are biased? Wear their scorn and spite as a badge of honor instead of whining like a little baby. Or alternately just don't give a fuck - it's just the Obsidian boards, man.

Cynic

Arcane
Look, I wrote a really nice post about this a few pages back. Yes, you can, by resting. But the question is: where are the safe spots? How many of them exist? How far apart are they? Are there encounters when you back-track? Are quests time-sensitive?

It's a question of balance and design. We can't properly judge this too well just yet; we simply don't know enough. For now it's enough to say you don't think this system can work too well whereas I say it can, depending on how you design the world/encounters/safe zones/abilities/enemies/hp growth and so on around it.

Either way we're both skeptics in different ways: you due to the limited information you have about the system, me because I can't trust Obsidian to balance mechanics well due to their track record. NWN 2 is _terrible_ when it comes to encounter design. Maybe the worst I've seen in terms of RPGs I actually played.

Edit:

Clearly they're taking a lot of ideas from Dark Souls. Why not go one step further:
Make resting SPAWN ENEMIES

Of course I expressed these ideas to Sawyer and he had some lame excuse.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Yeah, like anyone would expect anything else from a forum/fanbase made of Biodrones."

It's Obsidiandrones so fuck off WITH YOUR BULLSHIT FUKKIN' LIES AND SLANER AND CRAP.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"HP acts as a shield that keeps you alive when someone hits you in the face with an axe, until it runs out"

That's NOT how DnD HP is supposed to work, fuck face. Ignorant peices of shit spamming nonsense when they do not know of which they speak. :(

Volourn

Pretty Princess
This thread goes by too fast. L0L

Anyways, the ehalth/stamina argyument is silly until we see in practice.

This is not a true old skool game though. Why? PE has a LOT in common with a modern BIO game and it's not even in the fantasy DA. It's ME series. HOLY SHIT! Two of the major notes that are more mdoern thsan old skool is a- the planned rouyte of lame xp only for quests and b) basicaly two health abrs are BOTh found in the ME series.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

So.. the Codex has agreed to help fund a ME clone!!! Talk about 'old skool'! :P

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shield + Health goes back to Marathon at least, so really it's about as old school as anything :M

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
But Marathon was popamole and decline, right?

Gheritt White had been floating six feet off the floor for three weeks. His feet and hands tingled, and his eyes burned with the flames of a dying fire... but then his ears began to tingle just like his hands...
He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink. Tears came, and when he opened his eyes again, his hands had been melted into fleshy pancakes that wafted in the ripples flowing over the fire in his eyes...

He blinked hard to made out his hands again. They had disappeared; his arms connected at the wrists...

His hands and feet had begun to tingle, and he was floating farther off the floor...

But now he levitated farther up, his hands still tingling. He began to float through the bars, he expected the instant of safety as his hands found footing, but that moment did not come, the bars squeezed his body. His chest tingled. As he fell through his cage, his legs tingled. The fire in his eyes had become a cold wind, he blinked away tears...

He escaped into the waves.

The waves.

What a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom