Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Gozma

Arcane
I think it is a necessary evil if you are doing shit like skill trees that you won't ever be able to really understand the fine points of without actually using them. And I'm sure the game will be so MMORPGish that you won't think twice about banging into more metagamey shit like a respec anyway while you are dealing with stuff like diegetic aggro mechanics and healing surges

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The sheer thought of re-specing MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL IN PURE FUCKING RAGE! But... if there are limits (say you can only re-spec the last level you gained) or something similar I's be OK with that. But if it is OMG palyed a figher LOL now gonna play a mage LOL type of re-specing that would be fucking retarded. Even Sawyer is not that stupid.

Um, it seems to me he was talking about respeccing a companion when you hire him/her, not the PC. And that'd be a good thing, actually, since you wouldn't be shoehorned into using this specific companion all the time just because he or she happens to be the only healer available.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
So you trow her robe away put a full plate mail and a big giant shield on and now she can fight for you, seems legit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The sheer thought of re-specing MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL IN PURE FUCKING RAGE! But... if there are limits (say you can only re-spec the last level you gained) or something similar I's be OK with that. But if it is OMG palyed a figher LOL now gonna play a mage LOL type of re-specing that would be fucking retarded. Even Sawyer is not that stupid.

Um, it seems to me he was talking about respeccing a companion when you hire him/her, not the PC. And that'd be a good thing, actually, since you wouldn't be shoehorned into using this specific companion all the time just because he or she happens to be the only healer available.

If it is only companion related I'd be OK with it to a degree. I'd just have to hear more from Sawyer on the specifics.

kaizoku

Arcane
What J_C said.

Respeccing an NPC is wrong mmkay.
That companion has a backstory, which is very likely linked to a class. You simply do not change that.

Also, I would prefer for no level scaling on the companions.
If they are war hardened veterans, then let their stats reflect that.
If they are new adventures, let them be at the first levels.

Raapys

Arcane
Since they have classes, I assume you can't actually respec a priest companion into a fighter. Still, respec definitely isn't my cup of tea.

And yeah, kinda sucks about the magic system too. Pretty much *the* thing the Inifinity engine games did right. BG2 had the best spell combat and spell selection of any game I've ever played. PST was decent in that area as well, because of the unique spells.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
What J_C said.

Respeccing an NPC is wrong mmkay.
That companion has a backstory, which is very likely linked to a class. You simply do not change that.

Also, I would prefer for no level scaling on the companions.
If they are war hardened veterans, then let their stats reflect that.
If they are new adventures, let them be at the first levels.

Some will prefer then to play with first companions and never swap them with new ones since they have the highest level, i`m not saying level scaling is mandatory but something needs to be done to avoid this.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and this:

@Steven We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter. I said to them "So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits" They said, "Yes".
That's fucked up.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
lol, i didn't realize how invasive and pervasive those romance things are. Kinda overpowering.
It's not even that the game is about relationships between the characters, but just how badly it's written. This is barely above Twilight level. I really think the average girl in highschool could write dialog on par with this.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
RTwP spells => cooldown system. Easy to learn, easy to understand, easy to theorize for, easy to strategize, easy to create and easy to balance. Heck, even D&D4 is freakin' cooldown based.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Josh Sawyer ‏@jesawyer
in tomorrow's #projecteternity update, i'll talk about SOULS, mechanics, and a new pledge tier aimed at forum communities #assembleyourcrew

Gozma

Arcane
I really dislike relying on "slam dunk" mechanics that have been polished up in different genres, like cooldown based MOBA/MMORPG stuff, for a new RPG. Single player narrative-weighted games are always going to have shitty gameplay compared to real head to head stuff because you are ultimately just going to be solving the AI; the developers should try to be interesting by being experimental instead of refined. Which is why I need to go buy FTL

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
You dickwads need to go vote in my poll. And vote right dammit.

you dickwad should up your pledge, now! if you have not done so already...
voted vancian, btw. i like to imaginate the butthurt of my mage after realizing that he took the wrong spells.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You dickwads need to go vote in my poll. And vote right dammit.

you dickwad should up your pledge, now! if you have not done so already...
voted vancian, btw. i like to imaginate the butthurt of my mage after realizing that he took the wrong spells.

Yeah, yeah I'm back in at the $60 level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom