Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
There was respecing in PS:T?.
Well not traditional respecing, like setting attributes and skills, but you could change your class whenever you wanted (if you have met with the trainers).

The problem with bringing PS:T up in any RPG discussion is that it was so unlike any other RPG it's almost impossible to use it as a comparison. And wasn't the reason TNO could switch classes because he had been all three in a past life?

almondblight

Arcane
So you trow her robe away put a full plate mail and a big giant shield on and now she can fight for you, seems legit.

They seem to be implying that you respec your companion once, when they join. So, say, when Jaheira joins you roll a character and build it. In the end it would mean that a six person party would all be characters you roll yourself, but with personalities given by the developers.

I'd be fine with that since it'd mean a IWD style player created party, at the expense of some RPG larping. Though I can understand that some people would prefer to lose the ability to strategically build their own party because they think Mazzy should be a fighter and not a mage.

Tigranes

Arcane
FFS do something original with the music! ToEE got it right, it had amazing music that was minimal and magical. It really gave Oerth a different feel to Forgotten Realms and it was perfect. Music plays such an important role in setting up the atmosphere. If you want something unique, going with the regular big orchestral fanfare is retarded, it's also more expensive if you want it to sound any good.

I think they should have Sawyer's singing played at an almost inaudible level whenever you run the game. Subliminal atmosphere-setting.

Alex

Arcane
Well not traditional respecing, like setting attributes and skills, but you could change your class whenever you wanted (if you have met with the trainers).

Oh that. I thought that maybe this is what you meant, but I never saw it referred as such. Anyway, I don't mind class changing too much because it didn't redistribute experience points. Changing your class in PS:T meant you still had to go after experience in order to evolve. Sure, if you too 4 levels as a fighter before changing into a wizard, you would have better hp, and maybe THAC0 (I don't really remember). But you didn't suddenly become a good magic user, you still had a long road (well, not so much, since the game gave you lots of xp at every turn) ahead of you.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FFS do something original with the music! ToEE got it right, it had amazing music that was minimal and magical. It really gave Oerth a different feel to Forgotten Realms and it was perfect. Music plays such an important role in setting up the atmosphere. If you want something unique, going with the regular big orchestral fanfare is retarded, it's also more expensive if you want it to sound any good.
I kind of wish they would get Mark Morgan when he's done with W2. Loved his work with PS:T.

Cynic

Arcane
Also please don't waste time on fucking romances! It just pushes valuable time and money into a section of the game that only sexless virgin teenagers give a shit about!!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59...considering-if-any/page__st__120#entry1195594

See, I actually believe the opposite. I think those who are steadfastly opposed to romances in video games are likely to be the lonely ones IRL. Since relationships aren't a regular part of their lives, they have trouble viewing their inclusion in video games as anything other than masturbatory pandering. OTOH, if you are habitually in relationships, it seems weird that your character isn't in one. I mean, in most games, you're playing a world-shaking hero who is awesomely competent and probably quite rich from all those sweet monsters loots- why the hell wouldn't such a person have a girlfriend/boyfriend?

:retarded:

Why the fuck am I even reading these forums

Grimlorn

Arcane
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59...considering-if-any/page__st__120#entry1195594

See, I actually believe the opposite. I think those who are steadfastly opposed to romances in video games are likely to be the lonely ones IRL. Since relationships aren't a regular part of their lives, they have trouble viewing their inclusion in video games as anything other than masturbatory pandering. OTOH, if you are habitually in relationships, it seems weird that your character isn't in one. I mean, in most games, you're playing a world-shaking hero who is awesomely competent and probably quite rich from all those sweet monsters loots- why the hell wouldn't such a person have a girlfriend/boyfriend?

:retarded:

Why the fuck am I even reading these forums
Yeah I really hate having to be an ass in these threads, but someone has to shut it down.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The problem with bringing PS:T up in any RPG discussion is that it was so unlike any other RPG it's almost impossible to use it as a comparison. And wasn't the reason TNO could switch classes because he had been all three in a past life?
Yes, but surely one could come up with another reason why a character could changes classes. Like this whole unbroken soul business they're doing.

Stinger

Arcane
To counter this nonsense, I think AoD should have a romance option, something that when pursued eventually leads to your character waking up outside the Imperial Guard's compound, stripped naked, and with a shiny new "Violated" trait in your character's stat screen.
Knowing Age of Decadence, you'd just die horribly and get this little text blurb:

You thought it was true love. When you looked into those lustful eyes, you knew you were wanted. Needed. But you never could have suspected what for. Now, with fluid leaking from each of your holes, including the new ones he cut for you, your childish innocence and naivety draining out along with them, you turn over every moment you spent with that gruff imperial guardsman. What did you do wrong? Maybe you should have bought him gifts. Laughed at his jokes more often. But now it's too late. As you rot in the sun, broken and abused, passers-by only stop to stare in disbelief. The sun fades out, slowly. You never found true love, and now you never will.

We'll need a new felipepepe trailer soon...

"Romanced a girl and guess what...I died

GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE!"

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
She has a point, but she doesn't take it all the way through to its logical conclusion.

An all-powerful world savior certainly can get pussy, but he doesn't have time for a girlfriend. In other words, Geralt. :smug:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Like Sylvius, Blonde is one of more tolerable ones from Bioware forums though I never understood what his/her real agenda on RPG's is. I think that's why his/her first part of name has "Psyche" in it. Avatar could be just trollin.

What's the TLDR Version?

Spells and abilities have casting times and cooldowns which increase as you gain fatigue counters from doing them. Critical hits add wound stacks which lower fighters abilities. You can get rid of fatigue by eating or resting. You can get rid of wounds by visiting healers or resting. You can rest for an hour to fully recuperate without problem in special locations. If you rest in the wilds, you must rest 8 hours and you get encounters and new monsters in the area. You can't rest more than once every 24 hours.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Include a romance in the game that involves a character that gets involved with the PC where said character uses the fuck out of you then dumps your ass, taking all your stuff in the process (all while never putting out!). It would be perfect(and lulzy)!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Include a romance in the game that involves a character that gets involved with the PC where said character uses the fuck out of you then dumps your ass, taking all your stuff in the process (all while never putting out!). It would be perfect(and lulzy)!

And painfully familiar to players who demand romances in games.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Yes, but surely one could come up with another reason why a character could changes classes. Like this whole unbroken soul business they're doing.
Well they could always bring back Dual Classing. I'm down with that.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I have recently registered and i could not go into forums again after seeing that horibble blonde granny avatar in the first thread i read.
Seriously though, I just can't stand Obsidian forums :decline:

Grimlorn

Arcane
I still think Obsidian won't screw that up, coming to think of it I actually liked companion NPC in, say, New Vegas. For fucks sake, there was a gay guy, some lesbo woman, some genderless tranny etc. I didn't even realize that this Veronica girl was lesbian until much later. I felt it was good they didn't shove some romance crap in your face and hope they won't do it in Eternity too, or atleast do it the Torment way (even though the "lovescene" with Annah was VERY awkward - "Let meh bite yar neck" etc... - one of the few cringeworthy scenes in the game)
I didn't really like the Annah romance and thought it was terrible too. I kind of liked Fall-From-Grace because she seemed strong and smart, but also because they were unable to be together which was different. But I remember wondering, because she couldn't kiss anyone, whether they could still do all the other stuff besides kiss on the lips.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Good. Vancian magic doesn't work for the amount of filler encounters that a computer RPG has to fluff itself with to get to XX hours.

Without vancian magic you end up with a bunch of underpowered sorcerers. It takes all strategic planning out of a magic system and turns it into a purely tactical one. Some people like it but I always thought it was lazy design. It also leads to crappy spell progression where you upgrade your spells as opposed to getting new spells. And hello mana pool! I suppose this was expected when they talked about the soul thing.

Of course I’m just speculating as nothing official has been announced.

Anyway I'm just bitter because I really like IE magic combat but I know many people don't.
Is mana/cooldown the only alternative they're considering? I haven't been following PE that closely.

The problem is that carbon-copying the Vancian system from PNP does not work for CRPGs. In CRPGs there is 10x more combat, without DM oversight, plus very very little non-combat magic opportunities. Strategic? It's only strategic if you have some method to scout or investigation a situation/adventure/dungeon before making memorization choices. Otherwise it's not really strategy... just logistics.

I mean Vancian magic would work if either (A) the campaign, encounters all, were balanced around the system, rather than having filler combat willy nilly, or (B) the system was balanced for the amount of combat in the game (between rest periods). Or I guess any mixture of the two.

Your poll is dumb, btw. I picked "Other" for all three because the success of a design choice depends on how well it fits in the whole design, and how well it is implemented. It's not a black and white choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom