Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Yes, I actually think it's important to be aware of "OCD-inspiring gameplay elements".

There are lots of players out there who loot everything. Sell everything. Need to kill everything. Need to always be at full HP. And when they discover the game isn't fun that way, they complain.

Yes, they're crazy, but I think games need to find ways to encourage these types of players to give up on their OCD behavior, in the same way that they teach players how to mechanically play the game, with tutorials. A psychological tutorial, if you will.

You should check this out then: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying

We don't need solid RPG mechanics, just our imagination!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
They did mention Factions, so at least I assume Faction C&C will exist. This is Obsidian. Would be cool if they could do carry over C&C for the next game (and meaningful notfake Bioware lol C&C).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Yes, I actually think it's important to be aware of "OCD-inspiring gameplay elements".

There are lots of players out there who loot everything. Sell everything. Need to kill everything. Need to always be at full HP. And when they discover the game isn't fun that way, they complain.

Yes, they're crazy, but I think games need to find ways to encourage these types of players to give up on their OCD behavior, in the same way that they teach players how to mechanically play the game, with tutorials. A psychological tutorial, if you will.

You should check this out then: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying

We don't need solid RPG mechanics, just our imagination!

Wasn't that or something like that on ESF the basis for the Best Thread Ever #1?

Do a DLC that has you catch up to them. Promise a conclusion to the romance.

Then when you catch them if you try to do a love conquers all get robbed again and wake up missing a vital organ and as the player slowly bleeds to death have a note appear on screen (that the PC notices and looks at) that calls you a dumbass/loser/etc. then slowly fade out as you die. Game over, save deleted, no reloads.

:lol:

Should give an achievement for it too, so people will feel compelled to do it anyway.

Saw DLC - How many tears would you shed to fatten your gamescore?

Grimlorn

Arcane
Do a DLC that has you catch up to them. Promise a conclusion to the romance.

Then when you catch them if you try to do a love conquers all get robbed again and wake up missing a vital organ and as the player slowly bleeds to death have a note appear on screen (that the PC notices and looks at) that calls you a dumbass/loser/etc. then slowly fade out as you die. Game over, save deleted, no reloads.

:lol:

Should give an achievement for it too, so people will feel compelled to do it anyway.

Saw DLC - How many tears would you shed to fatten your gamescore?
This at the end of the game.

Stinger

Arcane
They did mention Factions, so at least I assume Faction C&C will exist. This is Obsidian. Would be cool if they could do carry over C&C for the next game (and meaningful notfake Bioware lol C&C).

I'm not so convinced about Save imports and choices carrying over.

I think the scope of implementing the previous game's C&C in a way that isn't just fake consequences and flavour dialogue writing around your choices would be so large that you'd pretty much have no room to set up any new choices and consequences in the sequel.

Personally I think a subsequent title just treating the first game in vague terms or occasionally establishing a canon is fine. It doesn't diminish the choices of the previous game and it makes sure that both games can have a reasonable amount of C&C. I'd argue that fake C&C in a save import does far more to diminish the impact of previous choices than simply establishing a canon.

http://criticalmissive.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/on-merits-of-save-importing-is-hassle.html

sea says it better than I can.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One Romance option that would be fun is if once you accumulate enough wealth your main character becomes the target of a ruthless, scheming gold digger. If you succeed in your Perception, Wisdom and/or Intelligence check you'll see through her efforts and may act as a gentleman and politely reject her, or be just as ruthless as her and fuck her and then tell her to beat it while you throw a few coins at her. If you follow through on the romance you will eventually get married, and the bitch may either try to make you have a fatal "accident" to get all your money or she may settle for a divorce and half your money. Then you have the option of either cursing yourself for being so horny stupid, or try to get even. Could make a nice side quest and I bet lots of guys would like the opportunity to role play the avenging guy.

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Let's go the Ultima Online route and have magic be cast by having certain amounts of ingredients :cool:

I wonder what kind of ingredient is needed for a "Time Stop"? Mandrake root?

Oesophagus

Arcane
One Romance option that would be fun is if once you accumulate enough wealth your main character becomes the target of a ruthless, scheming gold digger. If you succeed in your Perception, Wisdom and/or Intelligence check you'll see through her efforts and may act as a gentleman and politely reject her, or be just as ruthless as her and fuck her and then tell her to beat it while you throw a few coins at her. If you follow through on the romance you will eventually get married, and the bitch may either try to make you have a fatal "accident" to get all your money or she may settle for a divorce and half your money. Then you have the option of either cursing yourself for being so horny stupid, or try to get even. Could make a nice side quest and I bet lots of guys would like the opportunity to role play the avenging guy.

In any romance option, the moment you get married the game should just end. And the end slides/movie should show the protagonist's mundane life of working his ass off to make a decent living, having children, getting the seven year itch, and slowly becoming more and more tired of life, before finally hanging himself in a barn

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I am totally against the Vancian system from narrative point of view.
This makes the entire idea of magic being awe-inspiring meaningless.

Fuck off with your narrative. Not everything, and especially not the mechanics, has to bend to the narrative.

Murk

Arcane
How... are you saying that because of how discrete the spells are that there's no narrative to them? Like no "he waved his hands, stuff happened?" Of course there is, that's called an unknown spell and is handled by a Spellcraft or Knowledge: Arcana check. Just because you as a PC can't cast a spell doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And, if ever in an epic campaign where you are literally fight god-avatars, you will often encounter such spells, such as my all time favorite "Mass Permanent Death with no Saving Throw".

As for the cost method, I dislike any form of regenerating mana or mp systems because of how prone they are to overpowered regeneration (Gothic 3, WoW) which basically turns magic into a constant blast-a-thon or potion chugging (Diablo, other Hack'n'Slashes).

The Vancian system or other slotted systems specifically can limit spell casting, thus turning it into a "progress easily now or save up for later" dilemma through the narrative. If you are in a dungeon, you can't just set up camp for the night. Likewise, if you are afflicted with any kind of sleep or trance inhibitor you cannot rememorize the spells.

I am, however, for a tiered mastery that, let us say after a certain level, allows you to cast very basic spells at will (magic missile, cantrips, identify, etc.). Of course, nothing too ridiculous -- some low level spells like Web or Enlarge Person shouldn't be at will.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The magic will definitely bend to the narrative. This is an original Obsidian IP. What the fuck else would you expect? :5/5::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: M:M:M:M:M:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

In any romance option, the moment you get married the game should just end. And the end slides/movie should show the protagonist's mundane life of working his ass off to make a decent living, having children, getting the seven year itch, and slowly becoming more and more tired of life, before finally hanging himself in a barn

I want a harem. When they hell is that going to be an option?

Data4

Arcane
The only romance option I would approve of is one that satirically makes fun of all the loser :foreveralone: types begging for it. Flesh it out, Codex!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Tigranes

You need to tag my Vancian Magic thread as hot on the forums. I need people to vote in that before they make some stupids decisions that will piss me off.​

Well I know the decisions have already been made but still.

edit: I occurs to me that I might be drunk. Just saying. Is this GD?

jewboy

Arbiter
I voted for spellbook mages, but I don't see anything wrong with mana based systems. My two favorite cRPGs in terms of combat, BG2 and ToEE, had both sorcerers and mages IIRC. I'd be curious to hear some real arguments for or against either system. Ultima Underworld, Might and Magic 6-8, and Arx Fatalis used mana based systems I think and the combat was still quite enjoyable. Although, now that I think of it, the mages in Arx may have been a bit underpowered. It's been eons since I've played Shadows over Riva, but didn't that use mana as well? It's true that spellbook magic takes more planning. Sometimes in a difficult battle your whole party will just get completely pasted and then you'll have to reload and make use of prior knowledge by memorizing the right spells. Either way it doesn't seem like a major difference.

Alex

Arcane
That works for magic specifically but not a million other things.

Not an important point, but I wanted to comment that this only works for magic if you assume spells are something you would want to respecify. That is, it is attached to your character similarly to how skills and (if we are talking about a 3rd edition D&D like game) feats work. Which is annoying by itself, I find. I would much rather have spells be part of the game's exploration, be something you might find here and there and add to your spell book, much like a warrior might collect different weapons or armor.

Anyway he said that he's in favor of allowing advanced players (you) the option of locking it out so who gives a damn?

Well, as I see, there are two possible problems with this. One, is that since a few players will respecify the companions to something completely different from the usual, they won't consider the default configuration as important. It won't be something that is, for example, mentioned during the game, since different players will have chosen different abilities for their companions. Second, he mentioned respecs would be limited by some kind of explanation, like a place or trainer that could help you. I would really hate to see these then become meaningless if I choose to not use the respec.

Now, these aren't really important points, I feel. I am sure there are ways to make re-specifying almost painless. But it i still a very unnecessary sacrifice of resources for something that could be solved by including a save game editor with the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom