Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Apparently there are players out there who think RPGs are just really dumbed down adventure games with combat: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60396-how-forgiving-is-your-cup-of-tea-plot-difficulty-thread/

o_O

What does plot/subplot complexity has to do with adventure games ? I've played many adventure games with much simpler plots that those of RPGs. Granted the poll is kinda retarded, what I think he tries to talk about is choices and consequences (mostly long term C&C) and not plot complexity. And I definitely want long term C&C

octavius

Arcane
Patron
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60357-stretch-goal-thoughts/

- Regarding party characters, I have one extremely random suggestion. Much like the Space Hamster appeared in the Mass Effect games, I have always viewed Minsc and Boo as these characters who could show up in any game/any setting. Provided you can get a hassle-free allowance from whoever owns the rights to the character, I would love to see Minsc and Boo appear as characters in the game. If you're at all intrigued, it's worth at least a casual inquiry to see what it would take and I think it would make an interesting stretch goal.

There sure are a lot of Minsctards (Bootards?) out there.

Actually I missed Minsc and Boo when fighting The Beast of 1000 Eyes in Wiz 7. I'm sure Boo going for the eyes would have made it less tedious.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
skuphundaku

As we can see from Skyrim's success, there are many explorefags out there that want to take their time to explore.

I sympathize with your point of view (and I personally had no problem with the Spirit Meter mechanic, maybe because I tend not to spam rests like an idiot), but unfortunately this is an audience that cannot be ignored.

Apparently there are players out there who think RPGs are just really dumbed down adventure games with combat:http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60396-how-forgiving-is-your-cup-of-tea-plot-difficulty-thread/

o_O

What does plot/subplot complexity has to do with adventure games ? I've played many adventure games with much simpler plots that those of RPGs. Granted the poll is kinda retarded, what I thinks he tries to talk about is choices and consequences (mostly long term C&C) and not plot complexity. And I definitely want long term C&C

"Long-term C&C" doesn't give you a game over in RPGs. He's talking about missing the item from Chapter 2 and therefore being stuck in Chapter 5.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
skuphundaku

As we can see from Skyrim's success, there are many explorefags out there that want to take their time to explore.

I sympathize with your point of view (and I personally had no problem with the Spirit Meter mechanic, maybe because I tend not to spam rests like an idiot), but unfortunately this is an audience that cannot be ignored.
I know, I know. I agree with what you're saying. Even more, if you play it right, you could be an explorefag even while having to take into account something like the Spirit Meter, or any other survival mechanic. I think that something like that would make exploration even more interesting. But that requires an IQ in the triple digits, which many modern gamers seem to lack.

I was just venting my anger towards the morons that are dragging our favorite past-time into the ground with their stupidity.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
55180_10101770489975727_418778241_o.jpg

AQikB.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
"Long-term C&C" doesn't give you a game over in RPGs. He's talking about missing the item from Chapter 2 and therefore being stuck in Chapter 5.

Well, that's a really bad gameplay mechanic for an adventure game too. A bad choice should either grant you imminent death, or some consequence far ahead in the game, that's not game-stopping. Finding/not finding an item that can help/hinder your playthrough isn't a bad idea, something like the CoTC robes in Fallout.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, that's a really bad gameplay mechanic for an adventure game too. A bad choice should either grant you imminent death, or some consequence far ahead in the game, that's not game-stopping. Finding/not finding an item that can help/hinder your playthrough isn't a bad idea, something like the CoTC robes in Fallout.

In RPGs usually the problem isn't finding the item, but rather thinking of taking it with you and using it.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
But why should they cater to morons who can't reach a high enough level of understanding of the game system so that they can "cheat" it? What he's saying is that he would do the same thing that the present-day popamole developers do, which is that when players discover unintended mechanics and take advantage of them, they swoop in and ban people. With people like these around, awesome emergent mechanics like the rocket-jump of old, or Tribes' skiing would have never existed. I am disappoint of Greg Ziets.
Gamist spotted.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, as I see, there are two possible problems with this. One, is that since a few players will respecify the companions to something completely different from the usual, they won't consider the default configuration as important.
Since respeccing will have a "nontrivial" cost I doubt you'll be able to give all 5-8 companions complete makeovers. It's an extreme solution for extreme mistakes.
It won't be something that is, for example, mentioned during the game, since different players will have chosen different abilities for their companions.
You won't be able to change class or race which are far more important than what they can do. It's also possible you wouldn't be able to change their default abilities.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60321-weapon-balancing/

Josh Sawyer said:
This is important to me and I will do my best to pursue it. To me, the realistic purpose/function of a weapon in the real world (assuming it exists) is the foundation for determining its place among peers, but realism should not dictate a weapon's overall value. I don't believe in designing "junk" weapons just for the sake of having them. I like the idea of having types of weapons with distinct strengths and weaknesses that the player can analyze for tactical application. If a player looks at a type of weapon and instantly realizes it will never have a place in his or her arsenal, I feel that's a failure on my part.

This also applies to weapon upgrades within "type". A longsword +2 is universally superior to a longsword +1. I think things get more interesting when an upgraded weapon is slightly inferior to its antecedent in one way. The more the player stops and makes a consideration of the pros and cons of using one weapon or another, the more he or she is problem solving and engaged in what's going on. If choices ever become no-brainers, they aren't really choices, and I think that can detract from the enjoyment of the game.

Data4

Arcane
Alright, I've joined the fray. Probably going to get banned from my first post, but I couldn't let that transgender thread go by without saying something.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
But why should they cater to morons who can't reach a high enough level of understanding of the game system so that they can "cheat" it? What he's saying is that he would do the same thing that the present-day popamole developers do, which is that when players discover unintended mechanics and take advantage of them, they swoop in and ban people. With people like these around, awesome emergent mechanics like the rocket-jump of old, or Tribes' skiing would have never existed. I am disappoint of Greg Ziets.
Gamist spotted.
This is the first time I hear of this term. I looked it up and I agree with your assessment: I'm a gamist, because narrativists and simulationists are, essentially, LARPers, and, most definitely, I'm not a LARPer.

And, in case it didn't come through clearly enough, I consider the people that fight tooth and nail against emergent gameplay a bunch of inferiority complex-ridden dickless fags that can't accept that different people act in different ways and, in their intrepid endeavors, these people they may discover new and awesome things that will put them head and shoulders above the rest. The anti-emergence fags feel the need to control everything in order to keep their feelings of inferiority in check and to that I say: Fuck those losers!

Untermensch

Augur
I must have missed it but, what is the problem some people have with the spirit meter?

I explored almost the whole game world without any problems on my first playthrough, and I don't consider myself a veteran CRPG player, nor do I have a IQ of 180.
Oh sure, my stats were a bit lover because the meter was most of the time on 70%, but I had companions to back me up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The only thing I remember about the spirit meter is that it got a bit uncomfortably high until the Tree God thing reset it. After that it was smooth sailing to the endgame.

I really need to replay. This is one of the games I remember the least well, for some reason.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Unfortunately the pledge rate slowed down considerably today, around 2500/hour. It's a little surprising since we had an update yesterday. I hope it is only temporary. Although even at this rate, they will have 3,5 million at the end, not counting the big rush at the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom