Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
When the floodgates of Paypal open, I expect it to go up quite a bit.

I wish they get at least 5 mil but that is not very likely. Somehow they did this campaign pretty sloppy, although it was good in the very beginning (I liked their video). They are a pretty big gaming studio, they could have certainly done a better job.

The trans thread is full of LARPers. Why???

Just give them a practical reason for why the "trans chars plz" idea is silly - the amount of trangender people, who are also interested in rpgs, and care about the issue must be astonomically small.

edit:

As I have been transitioning to a robot lately (I am scheduled to have an advanced targeting system installed later today) I feel that us cyborgs are underrepresented in video games and discriminated agains that is way I ask, nay demand that I am given the option to roll a golem like creature at the very least if not a T-1000.

:lol:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Unfortunately the pledge rate slowed down considerably today, around 2500/hour. It's a little surprising since we had an update yesterday. I hope it is only temporary. Although even at this rate, they will have 3,5 million at the end, not counting the big rush at the end.

since the drm free announcement they doubled the pledge rate from 1k/h - holding 2k/h is the most important goal and it seems that's what they're aiming for with the upcoming dev updates. their next big project update should be about localization. they even could add that to the 2mio strech with a toolset at the 2.8mio mark, reaching 3mio+ with paypal and high end peaks.

I wish they get at least 5 mil but that is not very likely. Somehow they did this campaign pretty sloppy, although it was good in the very beginning (I liked their video). They are a pretty big gaming studio, they could have certainly done a better job.

without question they could've done a better job but so far the support ain't bad at all. it's the 6th day and project eternity stays at 1.730.281$ and there're still 11 hours left.

wasteland2 at the 6th day: 1.356.832$
double fine at the 6th day: 1.729.862$

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The magical words "Baldurs Gate like" will probably get this project in the 3 mil zone. They probably need to do a bit more in getting the word out to other media sources though.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The trans thread is full of LARPers. Why???

Just give them a practical reason for why the "trans chars plz" idea is silly - the amount of trangender people, who are also interested in rpgs, and care about the issue must be astonomically small.

edit:

As I have been transitioning to a robot lately (I am scheduled to have an advanced targeting system installed later today) I feel that us cyborgs are underrepresented in video games and discriminated agains that is way I ask, nay demand that I am given the option to roll a golem like creature at the very least if not a T-1000.

:lol:
Oh, I don't care about the tranny thing - I got annoyed by LARPing morons who believe that all you need to play a tranny is your imagination. Fuck that noise, to properly implement trannies into an RPG you need mechanics, backgrounds and an envirnment that reflect your choice of character. :x

Alright then I've joined up and am ready to fight the good fight against the Biodrones that are swarming over the forum. Name on the Obsidian forum is Brodin by the way.

codexarmy.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stop being antsy about the pledge rate, go play a game or something and wait for the next update. :P

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I gently told them they should probably look for another project where transgender inclusion is part of the original scope of the project, instead of shoehorning it into PE, since it is bound to be cosmetical if they just add it in as a stretch goal, but they seem to think that any kind of representation will do. Fucking morons.

Looking at it in a setting context, could Eunuchs be the answer? Obviously the advanced surgeries to actually implant a working womb, ovaries and all the feminine hormones that are required to line the womb for successful gestation would be beyond surgery in the age of Eternity. Magic might be the answer, but what magician would have that good a working knowledge to successfully turn a woman into a man or vice versa. In the end such operations would most likely result in the protagonist dying, being horrifically mutated or being crippled for life, obviously ruling them out of taking part in the adventure.

However eunuchs have been around in many civilisations for a very long time, and have even gained a measure of importance in some cultures, as I remember there was a eunuch general in Byzantium at one point. Anyway just a thought.

Eunuchs could be the answer, yes. But the question would drive you insane.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
i am not antsy about the pledge rate but angry about those who just treat kickstarter as steam sales platform. they're not supporting the developer, they simply want to secure themself a cheap game... that makes me throwing up.
oh, and torchlight2 is still locked.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Another explanation I hate is the immersion. They say that if they can't roll a tranny character, they can't immerse themselves in the game, because the PC is not them. I don't know what's the Codex' take on this, but I don't roll myself in any RPG. Why would I , here is the chance to play a fantasy character, instead of the boring real life.

Also it is OK for them to roll a mage, or a fighter (which they are not in real life), but not rolling a tranny is a big problem? Fuck you LARPERS, this is a videogame!

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Looking at it in a setting context, could Eunuchs be the answer? Obviously the advanced surgeries to actually implant a working womb, ovaries and all the feminine hormones that are required to line the womb for successful gestation would be beyond surgery in the age of Eternity. Magic might be the answer, but what magician would have that good a working knowledge to successfully turn a woman into a man or vice versa. In the end such operations would most likely result in the protagonist dying, being horrifically mutated or being crippled for life, obviously ruling them out of taking part in the adventure.

I would imagine that every magician would have this knowledge. Its called polymorph.

Edit: Actually, every magician of 7th level or higher.

Alex

Arcane
Apparently there are players out there who think RPGs are just really dumbed down adventure games with combat: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60396-how-forgiving-is-your-cup-of-tea-plot-difficulty-thread/

o_O

I actually think RPGs mix really well with Adventure gameplay. Of course, you have to take into account multiple solution for puzzles and that different characters are capable of different things. But still, I think borrowing a bit from old Sierra games would do RPGs a lot of good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly?
I think the original video was already lacking and inferior to both the WL 2, Shadowrun and Double-Fine ones. I feel like a lot of things could have been done better in their campaign. And remember, I'm only tough on them because I want them to succeed and produce something worth playing, that's all.

A) The video practically begged for money at the end. The other videos seemed more as if they were pitching something; Obsidian's video had more of a ... "give us money, please" vibe which reminded me of those starving Africans commercials.
B) They didn't really outline what kind of game they were going to make in the pitch. It's all quite vague from my point of view. Shadowrun and WL 2 were more focused.
C) The first batch of stretch goals was, frankly, laughable.
D) They should have asked for more money up-front; it's transparent that 1.1 Million is never going to be enough and they only asked for this sum to get things started. With the other Kickstarters I didn't get that impression.

So in summary I'd have focused on making a better, more informative pitch with a more entertaining or illuminating video. And maybe I'd have tried not to make my stretch goals look like I came up with them at 3 AM.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I would imagine that every magician would have this knowledge. Its called polymorph.

Edit: Actually, every magician of 7th level or higher.
Suddenly, the robes make sense.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
oldmanpaco I ain't doing a thing without some jink in my pocket, cutter. Pull out 'em commons.

Jaesun said you were a bro but I see the truth. You're just a mole trying to keep a brother down.

Tigranes is a BRO.

EDIT: You also FAILED a PS:T Lore Check :decline: of oldmanpaco. :(

I know he was going all PS:T on my ass but I'm above offering bribes to moderators for services rendered unless the speak in the kings english.

Also I was a bit inebriated and could not think of a good PS:T retort.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, and you fuck snakes. I'm merely telling you my impressions of the one video vs the impressions of the other video, there's really no need to try to discredit them unless you have something better / contrasting to offer. Ignore them, or me, and move on.

Besides, I'd like to see you be correct all the time, assuming my opinion is outright false.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
He's gay, of course he is correct all the time. Or are you trying to tell me that you're some kind of a dirty fucking homophobe savage?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Why not remove combat?
Combat and its mechanics need an awful lot of time and distract from the story,

If you want battles and adventures, don't play a video game but visit Syria.

Seriously, I don't see any problems with romances. They won't draw significant resources, and like companions, story, combat, world, dialogues, equipment, races or classes they spice up an RPG.

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom