Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I really dislike relying on "slam dunk" mechanics that have been polished up in different genres, like cooldown based MOBA/MMORPG stuff, for a new RPG. Single player narrative-weighted games are always going to have shitty gameplay compared to real head to head stuff because you are ultimately just going to be solving the AI; the developers should try to be interesting by being experimental instead of refined. Which is why I need to go buy FTL
FTL is cooldown based MOBA/MMO stuff. And small micromanagement of ants/energy balance.

And I double dare you trying to beat the community bots in Dota 1 :P

Grimlorn

Arcane
I favor romances. My wishes are these (keep in mind they are only wishes, I understand some things could be too complicated and time consuming to include):

One, I'd like that the orientation of the LI is their own and doesn't change based on the sex of the PC. Two, I'd like it to be possible for there to be minor disagreements in the developing relationship that don't necessarily break the romance, because really, everyone squabbles. It's not the end of the world. Three, that the romance isn't dependent on the LI bringing it up- I'd like the PC to actually have to do some legwork here and be able to initiate interactions... actually, I'd like that for both friendships and romances... and four, that even if the romance isn't directly tied into the main game and so its major development ends before the game does, there can still be some small player forced or timed interactions to remind the player that their PC did engage in a relationship. Or maybe interactions with non-party NPCs that remind you- some random guy or gal hits on or threatens or what-have-you at the PC and the LI reacts.

I'd like it to be possible to have friendship and romance paths, meaning that if a romance is declined, a separate and distinctly developed platonic relationship storyline can occur if you choose to spend time getting to know the NPC. Or maybe a declined romance could spiral into a spiteful, undermining party member who stabs you in the back later in revenge or jealousy of a romance that you DID accept.

As far as the actual romance stories themselves and saying things like "PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT CHEESY" and whatnot... I leave it to the writers. I've got faith in their ability to weave satisfying stories... sometimes cheese can be endearing if done correctly, you know? I just wanted to include what I'd like to experience in the course of the game after having played other ones.
Kill me now.

Alex

Arcane
And yeah I know about PS:T.
Then why so butthurt? PST showed that respeccing can be implemented well. And what do I care if a poor soul buys a respec book? I won't, that's what matters.

There was respecing in PS:T?

He wasn't specifically talking about the PC, he was talking about making the follower people into whatever class skill tree spec etc which I personally usually mod in with games that don't do it by default.

God, I hope they don't use skill trees. One of the best features of Planescape was that the "upgrades" you could get, like weapon skills and spells were very much part of the setting and exploration. Since I love this kind of thing, I would prefer if the game didn't have companion customization upon joining. Let the person's history reflect on what he is, right now.

Vancian magic is shit. Problem?

Problem is that any alternatives they would use here are shittier, I think. There may be rally interesting systems that, while not being fire and forget, capture the idea of customizing your character to the situation at hand like Vancian magic does. But I really doubt they are going to do something like this.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm okay with memorising, but I don't think it's productive from us to ask Obsidian make carbon copy of Baldur's Gate. If you'd be a developer and had all those cool artistic ideas you could implement because of fan's funding, won't it be sad if everyone would just demand the same features just because they, to extent, worked?

It's fucking magic. Let them bring some vision.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What I don't understand at all these people who want romances ingame - are they truly desperate for something like this because they can't achieve that in real life? Even I as some miserable schlock who hasn't much experience with this romance stuff in real life would feel disgusted to have to "rely" on such phantasies in fucking videogames. Or is it something different? When has this actually started, with Baldur's Gate/Torment back then, or does this root deeper? Do many PnP groups have such romances in their sessions too? O_o

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
sea: In a nutshell - romance in a story should matter to the story. It should not be an end in and of itself. If hearing your companions call you "my dear" and giving them tender kisses warms your heart in the same way that actual, real love with another human being does, you probably have serious issues with your life and emotional state that you need to address.

:lol: :bro:

Shadenuat

Arcane
What I don't understand at all these people who want romances ingame - are they truly desperate for something like this because they can't achieve that in real life?

Lots of generalization below.
I may be wrong, but I believe most of them are female gamers without brakes. Generally girls like love stories. From my experience with roleplaying, girls prefer emotional engagement (TM), social interaction, characters developing bonds and story, romance, instead combat or danger. They are usually more into LARPing than tabletop, and mood is what moves them in their gaming. So I guess when Bioware started to pander to women, they got themselves an audience grown which is very vocal and also adores fanfiction. Girls like to play love. They like to see males play love, too.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's mind-boggling. Romances can be nice as a bonus, as a bit of character development that you didn't expect, but I have no idea why someone would actually demand them up-front.

"I don't care how many Oscars this movie won, IF THERE'S NO LOVE STORY I WON'T WATCH IT"

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I'm okay with memorising, but I don't think it's productive from us to ask Obsidian make carbon copy of Baldur's Gate. If you'd be a developer and had all those cool artistic ideas you could implement because of fan's funding, won't it be sad if everyone would just demand the same features just because they, to extent, worked?

It's fucking magic. Let them bring some vision.

I am fine with that... provided it's VANCIAN VISON. :rage:

Seriously though - it take anything over mana-cooldown system.

XenomorphII

Prophet
What I don't understand at all these people who want romances ingame - are they truly desperate for something like this because they can't achieve that in real life? Even I as some miserable schlock who hasn't much experience with this romance stuff in real life would feel disgusted to have to "rely" on such phantasies in fucking videogames. Or is it something different? When has this actually started, with Baldur's Gate/Torment back then, or does this root deeper? Do many PnP groups have such romances in their sessions too? o_O

Eh it is hard to say (as to why they want these so much). I don't mind romances in RPGs, but I don't go crazy over them like they do either so this might not be accurate. I find that developing personal relationships (not just romances mind you) that change as the characters go through events and do stuff makes the characters seem more like believable people (C&C bitches), and that in turn can make the world seem more believable if it is all done right (it can also lead to creating actual moral dilemmas in a game that don't fall into extremes or involve the fate of the world). The catch is that I don't think I have ever seen romances handled that way, and I doubt that will change.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The one thing about the forums though how many of these people are actually backers? Though it's not too hard to pick out the trolls.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's mind-boggling. Romances can be nice as a bonus, as a bit of character development that you didn't expect, but I have no idea why someone would actually demand them up-front.

"I don't care how many Oscars this movie won, IF THERE'S NO LOVE STORY I WON'T WATCH IT"
John Carpenter's The Thing sucks. Not one strong female, not a single tranny, not a single scene of two dudes sucking each other off. :decline:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There was respecing in PS:T?.
Well not traditional respecing, like setting attributes and skills, but you could change your class whenever you wanted (if you have met with the trainers).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

John Carpenter's The Thing sucks. Not one strong female, not a single tranny, not a single scene of two dudes sucking each other off. :decline:
Actually the film has the Ultimate Tranny.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
oldmanpaco said:
I think what we need to do is keep romances real. And you know what's real? Herpes is real.

STDs are the spice of any romantic relationship. Gonorrhea, syphilis, crabs - they all will add depth to any mature relationship.

:greatjob:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I still think Obsidian won't screw that up, coming to think of it I actually liked companion NPC in, say, New Vegas. For fucks sake, there was a gay guy, some lesbo woman, some genderless tranny etc. I didn't even realize that this Veronica girl was lesbian until much later. I felt it was good they didn't shove some romance crap in your face and hope they won't do it in Eternity too, or atleast do it the Torment way (even though the "lovescene" with Annah was VERY awkward - "Let meh bite yar neck" etc... - one of the few cringeworthy scenes in the game)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What I don't understand at all these people who want romances ingame - are they truly desperate for something like this because they can't achieve that in real life?

Lots of generalization below.
I may be wrong, but I believe most of them are female gamers without brakes. Generally girls like love stories. From my experience with roleplaying, girls prefer emotional engagement (TM), social interaction, characters developing bonds and story, romance, instead combat or danger. They are usually more into LARPing than tabletop, and mood is what moves them in their gaming. So I guess when Bioware started to pander to women, they got themselves an audience grown which is very vocal and also adores fanfiction. Girls like to play love. They like to see males play love, too.

Girls should start making their own games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...ernity/page__st__220__p__1196269#entry1196269

Well said. Guns just destroy immersion for me in a world like this. I gave myself some time to try and think it over but in the end, I just can't support this project with guns in the fantasy world. Initially I thought I might just drop my donation down from $125 to $25 so I'd still get the game. But I just don't have the desire to support something I feel so strongly against so i canceled my donation. Best of luck to Obsidian in any case. Farewell!

:retarded:

Cynic

Arcane
FFS do something original with the music! ToEE got it right, it had amazing music that was minimal and magical. It really gave Oerth a different feel to Forgotten Realms and it was perfect. Music plays such an important role in setting up the atmosphere. If you want something unique, going with the regular big orchestral fanfare is retarded, it's also more expensive if you want it to sound any good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom