Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Well, thanks to Funcroc and me (well, I just made a quick google search for her portofolio) the mysterious K. who did the Orleans and initial dwarf concept art was revelead. He joined Obsidian full-time in february.

Kazunori Aruga

http://artbykaz.blogspot.ch/

Some cool stuff there (non-pe releated)

niv.jpg

I like the style, tho it reminds me more of the new torment setting than anything else.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Project Eternity updates resume tomorrow. I wonder if they will show us the prototype?

imweasel

Well, thanks to Funcroc and me (well, I just made a quick google search for her portofolio) the mysterious K. who did the Orleans and initial dwarf concept art was revelead. He joined Obsidian full-time in february.
The Sawyer faggot completely refused to say who the artist was for some reason. Only a stupid retard fag like Sawyer would understand why.

But now we know. Great find! :D

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Sawyer faggot completely refused to say who the artist was for some reason. Only a stupid retard fag like Sawyer would understand why.
Do you have a reason to call Sawyer a faggot and a retard, or do you just feel insecure on the Codex?

Duraframe300

Arcane

But now we know. Great find! :D

I'm pretty sure that was Brennecke, not Sawyer

No. Those two pieces were not done by Kiernan Yanner. Sorry for being so vague about it! I would love to tell you, but I don't want to get the artist in trouble. He is relatively new to the games industry, so you will have not heard of his name (well... maybe). All will be revealed in due time - thanks for your patience.
wink.png

Not getting in trouble was probably because he worked for Lucasfilm as a texture artist on Clone Wars till february.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63557-update-47-odds-and-ends/

Update #47

Update by Josh Sawyer, Project Director

We've got a lot of things in progress on Project Eternity right now. As Darren wrote in the last update, we're winding down our first prototype. We just did an audit of the work that remains from the first prototype and where we will be going with the next prototype. Our first prototype allowed us to prove a lot of the basics of movement, character design, stealth, combat controls, inventory, resting, quests, scripted skill interactions, dialogue, status effects, and the ability and spell systems. There's still a lot of work to do on all of those elements, but by the end of the prototype, it really did have "that IE feel". How I organized and moved my characters, how I used them differently in combat, how I explored areas very much captured the feeling of the Infinity Engine games in gorgeous high-res environments.

So where do we go from here? First, we're going to try another approach to building interior environments to make sure we can capture as much of the organic feeling of the classic levels as we can. Second, we're going to continue to build up the dynamic elements of environment to make them feel more alive. We already have dynamic water, but we have more work to do on with elements like trees, grass, ambient visual effects, and our day/night cycle. We'll be showing you the results of those experiments in two weeks. Third, we're going to continue to develop more advanced gameplay features like fog of war, character voice sets, crafting, stores, AI patrols, and the melee engagement system.

In case you're wondering about the story, we've been working on both a lot lately as well. We really want Project Eternity to strike the right balance of elements: to introduce you to this new setting, to make you feel personally invested in your choices, to engage you with the personalities and factions involved in the conflict, and to give you all of the freedom you've come to expect from an Obsidian RPG. It's a long process, but we're feeling very positive and excited about where we're going, which is always a good thing.

Thanks for reading and, as always, thanks for your continued support. I'll be back in two weeks to show you our exterior environment running with all the bells and whistles in place!

Planescape: Torment Retrospective
Article by Darren Monahan, the Named One

Back before Obsidian was a company, many of us worked at Black Isle Studios, the RPG arm of Interplay Entertainment. One of the games a number of us helped create was Planescape: Torment, an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons based RPG set in the Planescape campaign setting.

As many of you already know, the guys at InXile recently launched the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter. They’re getting a lot of the “old band back together” to work on this thematic successor. One cool thing they’re generously offering to all Project Eternity backers (whether or not you back Torment) is a Planescape: Torment Retrospective featuring developer diaries and blogs from many of the original developers, including quite a few former and current Obsidian devs.

They’ve got nine days left, so if you haven’t checked it out yet, we encourage you to do so quickly! Please join me in thanking Brian, Kevin, and everyone at InXile!

Kickin’ it Forward: Dwarven Forge’s Game Tiles
Article by Darren Monahan, level 1 rogue/level 1 swashbuckler

So, several of us on the Project Eternity and South Park teams are playing a D&D 3.5E campaign at lunch a few days each week. While they’re short sessions, this is no small production - we’re using a bunch of miniatures and tilesets for the campaign, many of which our DM (and Eternity designer), Bobby Null, has acquired over the years from Dwarven Forge.

He came into work Monday incredibly geeked up because the folks at Dwarven Forge launched a new Kickstarter, which we got right into and backed. If you’re in to playing D&D and really want to get immersed, they make some incredible tilesets.

Here’s a few samples from our game! (Note, these aren’t the exact tiles they kickstarted, but rather just some cool examples of their prior work.)

Go check it out here!

Thanks, and we'll see you next week!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Project Eternity... I dunno man. If they don't suddenly fuck it up, I don't see how it cannot become one of the best games I've ever played. They must seriously fuck up the story or something.

And those Dwarven Forge tiles makes me wish I had IRL nerd friends who'd want to play d&d with me :( :( :( I've never played IRL pnp :( :( :( All my friends are computer nerds :( :( :(

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Whoa, Darklands-esque text adventure segments will be in Eternity?

:love::incline:

Rest of the update looks p. good. Eternity development seems to be going along well.

Hormalakh

Magister
Whoa, Darklands-esque text adventure segments will be in Eternity?

:love::incline:
josh has never been shy about his love of darklands and i was getting vague hints that this would be in game many months ago. i hope that he does go ahead and do the camping resource management "mini-game" too. that would make this awesome. i honestly can't wait to see the environment at play. i'm such a graphicswhore....

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had a group I was playing pathfinder with, but one guy moved away and we have yet to find a replacement. Feels bad man.

Also, I can't justify dropping that kind of dough on tilesets when I have a free imagination.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And those Dwarven Forge tiles makes me wish I had IRL nerd friends who'd want to play d&d with me :(:(:( I've never played IRL pnp :(:(:( All my friends are computer nerds :(:(:(

Folks, it's not hard to find PnP players (or even existing groups to join), at least not if you live in or near a city with a few hundred thousand or more residents. Granted, if you live in Vikingworld or Yurop, it's probably different than in the US.
  1. Have books, dice and supplies.
  2. Finding players: Internet forums (found my last local group years ago on the Steve Jackson Games forum), FLGS if there's one in your area, nearby colleges/universities, even libraries. Talk to people and/or put up flyers.
  3. Get together and start playing PnP.
3a. You might want to meet in a public place the first time around (library conference rooms work great and might be free) to ensure that your newfound dweebs aren't diseased/homicidal/stupid/privileged/Volourn.

I know the talking to people part might be difficult, but you can do it!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
And those Dwarven Forge tiles makes me wish I had IRL nerd friends who'd want to play d&d with me :(:(:( I've never played IRL pnp :(:(:( All my friends are computer nerds :(:(:(

Folks, it's not hard to find PnP players (or even existing groups to join), at least not if you live in or near a city with a few hundred thousand or more residents. Granted, if you live in Vikingworld or Yurop, it's probably different than in the US.
  1. Have books, dice and supplies.
  2. Finding players: Internet forums (found my last local group years ago on the Steve Jackson Games forum), FLGS if there's one in your area, nearby colleges/universities, even libraries. Talk to people and/or put up flyers.
  3. Get together and start playing PnP.
3a. You might want to meet in a public place the first time around (library conference rooms work great and might be free) to ensure that your newfound dweebs aren't diseased/homicidal/stupid/privileged/Volourn.

I know the talking to people part might be difficult, but you can do it!
If I can't shout racial slurs at the top of my lungs, then they are no gaming friends of mine. Also I don't have any pnp stuff.
I'm not gonna put up flyers. What am I, an anarchist?

imweasel

josh has never been shy about his love of darklands
His retardness (Josh Sawyer) is also not shy about his utter and deep love for Skyrim and his hate for Baldur's Gate (or game mechanics that make the game too hard, like the miss mechanic).

I suppose he played so much Skyrim during pre-production because he needed insipration for PE. And as we know, Bethesda makes the best RPGs.

Do you have a reason to call Sawyer a faggot and a retard, or do you just feel insecure on the Codex?
Maybe I should drop the faggot part, because that just makes Roguey happy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What specifically did he say about Skyrim?

I can confirm Josh Sawyer's enthusiasm for Skyrim, in the sense that I heard of it and then saw some evidence of it (Tweets? Steamworks? Forum posts? Videos?). I don't recall exact specifics or have direct evidence of it at the moment, because gathering evidence of Josh Sawyer being a Skyrim fan for later presentation was never high on my list of priorities.

If I remember/stumble across the "evidence", I'll post it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He definitely tweeted about Skyrim. I think he called it fun, but don't quote me on that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What specifically did he say about Skyrim?

I can confirm Josh Sawyer's enthusiasm for Skyrim, in the sense that I heard of it and then saw some evidence of it (Tweets? Steamworks? Forum posts? Videos?). I don't recall exact specifics or have direct evidence of it at the moment, because gathering evidence of Josh Sawyer being a Skyrim fan for later presentation was never high on my list of priorities.

If I remember/stumble across the "evidence", I'll post it.

Link please.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I can't even Google anything relevant, because apparently Josh made a comment on Skyrim's lag/save system one time, and so the first ten thousand pages of search results are all "gaming journalism" "reports" covering that very important issue. :roll:

EDIT: Ah, well done, tuluse. We can clearly witness a man in love with and very much enjoying the embodiment of the decline. Computer gaming cred ruined, THAT THAT, JAESUN!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom