Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
So, Warriors of Diversity it is.

A group of 6 individuals lead by the infamous DarkUnderlord.

Jaesun - Class : Gay. Well, he's a thief. How else would he be able to attack you from behind ?

Taluntain - Some sort of engineer. He has plenty of weapons, mostly one shot, which jam more often than not.

Prosper - An entropic mage. He mumbles incoherent words and unleash random waves of magic. He definitly has a fragmented soul.

Cleve - A 7-foot tall fighter. He fights with his bare hands and can kill you with one blow, if he chooses so.

Crooked Bee - A druidess. She can shapeshift into a giant bee and all kinds of furry.

DarkUnderlord - During the whole battle, he sits on his throne, looking bored. When you attack him, he takes the blows without even blinking.

Should you be defeated, he stands up and approach to give you the final blow. Last words you hear : "I send you to 'The Watch'!".

What no Skyway or Liberal? I am disappoint :rpgcodex:

And no mighty Jarpie the Fat Lolrus Dwarf. :D

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jaesun - Class : Gay. Well, he's a thief. How else would he be able to attack you from behind ?

Taluntain - Some sort of engineer. He has plenty of weapons, mostly one shot, which jam more often than not.

Prosper - An entropic mage. He mumbles incoherent words and unleash random waves of magic. He definitly has a fragmented soul.

Cleve - A 7-foot tall fighter. He fights with his bare hands and can kill you with one blow, if he chooses so.

Crooked Bee - A druidess. She can shapeshift into a giant bee and all kinds of furry.

DarkUnderlord - During the whole battle, he sits on his throne, looking bored. When you attack him, he takes the blows without even blinking.

Should you be defeated, he stands up and approach to give you the final blow. Last words you hear : "I send you to 'The Watch'!".

Nice. Needs more Andhaira though.

"A dusky, scimitar-wielding foreigner with crazy eyes. He stares lecherously at Crooked Bee, but her loose-fitting robes prevent strangers from getting a sense of her bodily proportions."

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

What no Skyway or Liberal? I am disappoint :rpgcodex:
Skyway has already been mentioned and he must attend, but you're right, Glyphwright needs to be in the team. Put him alongside Skyway, Prosper and Andhaira, with Wyrmlord as backup and they will devastate all.

And, aren't we forgetting another Codex starlet? Black Cat should be an evil loli sorceress that, as a signature move, has the ability to assume control of any enemy and command them to stomp on the hands on anyone she wants.

grotsnik

Arcane

Yeah. Actually, it's great to have this Kickstarter ethos of 'tell us what you want in-game, fans!', but if the Wasteland 2 forum and the PE forum are any indication, it's really not worth it when it comes to discussing this particular issue. Because the whole thing becomes a colossal tectonic-plate collision of opinionated stupidity, and every other thread is swallowed up into the earth in favour of a savage two-thousand-page thread volcano that can be condensed to two diametrically opposed viewpoints along the lines of 'Fucking bigots' and 'fucking libruls'.

Just make the fucking gameworld, from the inside out, blocking out the white noise from fans asking to be accommodated in this work of fiction/insisting that the other group of fans should not under any circumstances be accommodated in this work of fiction. If you construct your world thoughtfully enough, with themes and issues that make sense within the universe and which are explored with intelligence, most reasonable people will still enjoy the game. If you do it badly, and you end up compromising the game in a crude effort to make a point or showboat to a particular group of people who simply cannot enjoy anything that includes X/cannot enjoy anything that does not include X, nothing's going to save you, and those fans will become your core fans, as you're forced to serenade them again and again.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Finally someone had the fucking idea to create a world where more than one adventurer party in a quest to save the world is possible.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Liberal, Black Cat? How about you go fuck yourselves with season hit celebrities that nobody gives a fuck about after 2 months?

Dexter

Arcane
"Back on topic, and with reguards to gender identity, it's been proven pretty well at this point that gender identity isn't a binary thing. Someone can ostensibly identify as both male and female (bigender), or bounce between the two identities (fluidgender/genderqueer). I think these two concepts could be interesting to see from a few of the cultures or races within the game. "

Holy crap. You can change your gender on the fly. Innovative.
Didn't BioWare implement that in Baldur's Gate with the "Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity", they were truly visionaries of their times!
:hero:

Nice. Needs more Andhaira though.

"A dusky, scimitar-wielding foreigner with crazy eyes. He stares lecherously at Crooked Bee, but her loose-fitting robes prevent strangers from getting a sense of her bodily proportions."

Thats good and all, but it is seriously lacking in Scottish Martial Arts, the suspiciously deep voiced female monk.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
sSgKN.png

U butthurt, bros? :troll:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
From the kickstarter comments:
Geoffrey Brent said:
Special request: would it be possible to have a "no rape in story" guarantee? I have friends who would LOVE to play something like this, but are twitchy about buying electronic games because of rapey content in plot or backstory.
Most of your games have been fine on this, but one particular storyline in Arcanum left me feeling very uncomfortable, and for several of my friends it would've been quite upsetting. There are plenty of ways to motivate characters without that.
"Rapey content", that's a good term.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's just the difference between good fantasy and bad fantasy. And unlike what Draco's delusions entail, there's no reason internal coherence in the fiction has to be the same as reality's historical coherence with the middle ages.
In my opinion, internal coherence alone is not enough. As I was saying before, that's the reason I prefer science fiction to fantasy. Sci-fi can have internal coherence (usually, the harder the sci-fi, the better) and coherence with the real world so that the starting premise makes sense. Fantasy can have internal coherence, but it can start from any premise and dismiss any criticism by appealing to artistic license. That, for me, is a massive dealbreaker. Take the example of PE: they want to create a mature and interesting story that explore mature themes, but start from patently fantastic concepts such as souls, gods and, worst of all, gods that interact directly with people/people's souls. Personally, I can't take any of their supposedly mature discourse seriously when you start from pure fantasy. For one, you can't debate real-life ethics realistically in a setting in which reincarnation is a scientific fact. Murder, for example, would be a much less serious crime - it would rate on the same level with property crime. Sacrificing your life would be much less of a sacrifice etc. If you've ever been around a compiler, then you must have heard the phrase "Garbage in, garbage out". Well, that's what this is.
1) It's not clear that souls are individuals.

2) I don't see how Gods interacting with mortals is that terrible. Were all Greek stories garbage?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From the kickstarter comments:
Geoffrey Brent said:
Special request: would it be possible to have a "no rape in story" guarantee? I have friends who would LOVE to play something like this, but are twitchy about buying electronic games because of rapey content in plot or backstory.
Most of your games have been fine on this, but one particular storyline in Arcanum left me feeling very uncomfortable, and for several of my friends it would've been quite upsetting. There are plenty of ways to motivate characters without that.
"Rapey content", that's a good term.
Jesus fucking chirst. How many games have any rape at all? How do these people learn to breath?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Guess RTwP is better than Turn Based combat.

What are the differences, mechanic wise, between RTwP and turn-based? Care to enlighten me?
You might have a point with something like Paradox grand strategies, where ever day is in fact a simultaneous turn - yet everyone refers to it as RTwP. However, I don't think the same is true for a continuous experience that can be paused - as would be the case here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom