Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grimlorn

Arcane
"Back on topic, and with reguards to gender identity, it's been proven pretty well at this point that gender identity isn't a binary thing. Someone can ostensibly identify as both male and female (bigender), or bounce between the two identities (fluidgender/genderqueer). I think these two concepts could be interesting to see from a few of the cultures or races within the game. "

Holy crap. You can change your gender on the fly. Innovative.
Didn't BioWare implement that in Baldur's Gate with the "Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity", they were truly visionaries of their times!
:hero:
To be honest I think that guy want a gay race. It's just hard to justify how you get one when gay people can't really reproduce. But if there is a race that can switch genders to reproduce then switch back to be gay with each other, then voila. Gay race.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60455-random-stats-or-bought-stats/

Now, I will admit straight out that I am a total stat hoe--I am that person who will sit there clicking the "reroll" button in Baldur's Gate until I (this really happened) get a set that looks like this: 17 18 18 18 18 18, and then when I take a point out of int and put it in Str I wound up with 18(97) 18 18 17 18 18. I am not kidding. I am that freakin' nuts about this. I don't generally like point-buy systems that much in single-player games because they limit my ability to do this. Granted, they also mean I'm not sitting there clicking the button for half an hour before I can start playing the game, so I can live with it.

Still, I'd like to hear other people's preferences! Assuming we have "starting stats" of some kind, how would YOU prefer to generate them?

Creepy/lady/troll/alt is at it again.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Obvious troll. I don't even think BG allows for a stat range like, AFAIR the stats are rolled within a predefined minimum and maximum total.

Repressed Homosexual
It's already at 25 pages of topics. If I were Obsidian I would leave it here, ignore everything, and do it my way. What a total sewer.

This is why listening to fans is an absolutely horrid idea. M.A.X. 2 was developed while taking every reasonable fan desire into consideration, and it turned into a zoo.

Let this just be a way to content the masses, but make sure they have no influence on the process.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If you think Obsidian is reading every single one of those posts/threads and completely re-writing their design doc, that's not going to happen. Obsidian is not THAT fucking stupid.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
We first need to discuss if we're going to go with the popamole idea of hurr durr codex posters as the party or if we are actually going to come up with something good, as with W2.

Yeah, everyone else will have a Totally Badass Team of Badasses™ that you'll have to fight. I think we can do better than that. Like, with the proper dialogue choices ("Which is better and why?"), our Team of Badasses™ should start bickering with themselves and fight each other.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Let this just be a way to content the masses, but make sure they have no influence on the process.

Do you seriously think any of us or the developers themselves don't already understand this? Do you seriously think this "We're really listenin' to ya, baby!" is much more than lip service beyond any topic this side of a riot?

Flacracker

Educated
Why the fuck do modern RPG's need lesbian or gay or transsexual characters? What does this add to the game or even the character? Nothing. People just want it in there for the sake of it being in there. They want to be pandered to. I have seen the argument that it is a "mature game" and should have these sorts of things. A game doesn't need graphic violence or strong language or sexual themes to be mature. Just like a book. It is mature because of its overall message and lesson, something that most games are lacking today.

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh well...

All this talk about those classic RPG's made me click on the GoG offer to buy all those great games for just 30 bucks. I think it's time to play Icewind Dale again.

Just sharing :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK 100% sure PsychoBlonde is just some shit troll after reading a few posts. I can't believe it took me that long. :oops:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh well...

All this talk about those classic RPG's made me click on the GoG offer to buy all those great games for just 30 bucks. I think it's time to play Icewind Dale again.

Just sharing :)

I sure hope you used the GOG link at the top of the screen to KEEP THE CODEX SERVERS FROM CRASHING!

Grimlorn

Arcane
There's just really no point to the forums. I mean we don't know enough about the game to really speculate or talk about it. None of the discussion is really that interesting. It's just a bunch of polls on basic stuff that pretty much all lean towards old school (which is what the game will be anyways) and then questions about the game that the devs probably haven't even designed yet.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why the fuck do modern RPG's need lesbian or gay or transsexual characters? What does this add to the game or even the character? Nothing. People just want it in there for the sake of it being in there. They want to be pandered to. I have seen the argument that it is a "mature game" and should have these sorts of things. A game doesn't need graphic violence or strong language or sexual themes to be mature. Just like a book. It is mature because of its overall message and lesson, something that most games are lacking today.
Best part is you can easily play any RPG as a gay. Just don't follow any sex related dialogs with the opposite sex.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
To be honest I think that guy want a gay race. It's just hard to justify how you get one when gay people can't really reproduce. But if there is a race that can switch genders to reproduce then switch back to be gay with each other, then voila. Gay race.
Gay race.
It's called hermaphrodite, genius.

With a proper background and presentation (like, written by a man, not fat fugly female with mental issues), it's quite interesting concept: people closer to colonial organisms than humans, almost alien society organised in a fully artificial way. Like Tlailax in FRank Herbert's Dune.

But we all know it would end with furries splashing their fluids at monitors. So thank God those people, both Obsidians and their retarded forum residents, lack neccesary imagination.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
An Obsidian developer chimes in on the topic of "mega-dungeons": http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60467-mega-dungeons-i-want-one-with-tunnels/

I can't say this topic hasn't come up in meetings. Why don't you guys turn this into a user poll and see if there is serious interest in a mega-dungeon. The things I would be curious about are...

1. How mega is your idea of a mega dungeon? 5 levels?10 levels? 20? More?
2. How important do you think story is in said mega dungeon?
3. Would you still support a mega dungeon if it diverted resources from the main plot/game? My guess is no, but I had to ask.
4. Is this something you would like to see as a high end stretch goal or set of stretch goals?

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
It's called hermaphrodite, genius.

With a proper background and presentation (like, written by a man, not fat fugly female with mental issues).

Faggot has never read The Left Hand of Darkness :rpgcodex:
And will never read. After stumbling upon 'Wraethtu' and 'Xenogenesis' (both ragequitting) I decided to avoid that type of literature forever. Burning those books is not a sin, and the women who stand behind this deserve nothing but being beaten by husband.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom